Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2015, 04:32 PM
People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 03:15 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 08:49 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  How can you draw a direct correlation between the universe being created and your personal favorite deity? Why not Shiva, Odin, Zues, or Mithras?

The most intellectually honest position, if you insist that a deity is the cause, is that it's impersonal and all of man's religions are off the mark, which leads you to a pretty useless god concept.
Why does that mean it has to be impersonal? Also, why can God not just GOD? I mean Elohim, Brahmin, Yahweh, Allah, they all pertain to the same creator God. So why does someone have to differentiate? There is one God. The sooner people can start to realize this the sooner peace and advancement can abound.

First of all, there's no evidence for any gods, but let's say we assume there is one, how would you know anything about this deity? To even assume it knows anything about an insignificant species on an insignificant planet you have already made a huge leap that's unwarranted.

A generic creator god could be the deistic model that does not have any kind of knowledge of humanity and could care less about us silly primates on an irrelevant planet in this insignificant quadrant of an insignificant galaxy.

Your prayers go unheard, your desire to live after you die is meaningless, it would be functionally identical to a god that simply doesn't exist.

If you make any god claims, you need actual evidence beyond any monkey-feels to prove it.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
05-11-2015, 04:35 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 04:28 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I don't understand. I think you have me confused with someone else. I don't remember doing anything of the sort. If I did it was unintentional and I apologize. If you don't mind, could you please show me the post in question? Hopefully I can clear things up.

You didn't. Pops has serious reading comprehension problems and took your support to be an attack. He has a history here and is severely confused about separating what he believes from what is demonstrably true. He is a textbook example of the kind of theist that gives believers a bad name.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
05-11-2015, 04:50 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 03:55 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  You didn't expect them to have gotten a phone call from God....did you?
Oh, don't be ridiculous, Jason.

A text message would have been fine.
Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
05-11-2015, 04:58 PM
(05-11-2015 04:50 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 03:55 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  You didn't expect them to have gotten a phone call from God....did you?
Oh, don't be ridiculous, Jason.

A text message would have been fine.
Smile
Or Skype? Your are right. Nobody calls anyone anymore. Pft..phonesDodgy this guy said phones.
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
05-11-2015, 05:06 PM
(05-11-2015 12:33 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 12:30 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Why would you believe that god is talking to you? Let's skip insanity and trolling and we could call arrogance a reason for such belief. I guess it must feel quite good to have opportunity to listen to creator of universe.

The creator? GirlyMan posts here all the time. Tongue

I'm just spreading the Word Of God, Brother in Bob.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-11-2015, 05:08 PM
(05-11-2015 12:20 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I prefer to believe I am not insane.

That's exactly the response I would expect from someone who is insane.

#sigh
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-11-2015, 05:08 PM
fuckin' double posts.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-11-2015, 05:13 PM
(05-11-2015 12:49 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Ok. Here we go. I had a vision in a dream. I know there are many explanations in the realm of Psychology or Physiology. But this vision was so powerful that it has resulting in giving up an amazing career flying an amazing aircraft to becoming a chaplain.

Can you expound on this? Did the vision involve you crashing a plane? Tell me about your mother. ... Consider ... Wait no, that's not right. Tell me about your father.

#sigh
05-11-2015, 05:16 PM
(05-11-2015 11:44 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I am here to understand atheist and know how they are being persecuted and judged so that I may better protect them.

That is the mark of a good chaplain. How else would you learn how to counsel atheists? Do they teach that in chaplain school?

#sigh
05-11-2015, 05:19 PM
(05-11-2015 12:34 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 11:24 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  But if the only reasonable answer is that I chose to believe in God as a coping mechanism to get over my loss, it seems like a fine reason for me.

It is certainly understandable, and I'm sorry you had to go through that, but to be blunt about it that is not a good reason to continue believing. It sounds like a way to avoid dealing with the cold reality of an apparently indifferent universe and that may be comforting but it isn't rational.

If a junkie uses a belief in God to keep them from using, is that a good reason?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post