Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2015, 06:47 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 06:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 06:35 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Proof that one can study something and still not adhere to it.

One can study something and determine it is false. Drinking Beverage
Wow, did you figure that out all by yourself?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2015, 06:49 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 06:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 06:25 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Sure buddy. Yo what get right on that. I'll wait. Do me a favor and use core scriptures, not the opinions of others not responsible for the writings.

Scripture is the claim, it is not the evidence.

You need to provide evidence of the veracity of those core scriptures.
I already have for myself. Still waiting.
05-11-2015, 07:09 PM
People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 06:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 03:15 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Why does that mean it has to be impersonal? Also, why can God not just GOD? I mean Elohim, Brahmin, Yahweh, Allah, they all pertain to the same creator God. So why does someone have to differentiate? There is one God. The sooner people can start to realize this the sooner peace and advancement can abound.

Those unevidenced assertions can be, and will be, summarily dismissed. Drinking Beverage

If only it had more dragons, I could believe it, well, dragons, light sabers and zombies. If it had dragons, light sabers and zombies, sign me up.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
05-11-2015, 07:51 PM
(05-11-2015 06:47 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 06:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  One can study something and determine it is false. Drinking Beverage
Wow, did you figure that out all by yourself?

Is that your best shot? Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-11-2015, 07:53 PM
(05-11-2015 06:49 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 06:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  Scripture is the claim, it is not the evidence.

You need to provide evidence of the veracity of those core scriptures.
I already have for myself. Still waiting.

You have to provide that proof before you can use scripture as evidence of anything in a discussion, argument, or debate.

Evidence is necessary.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
05-11-2015, 08:13 PM
(05-11-2015 07:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 06:49 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I already have for myself. Still waiting.

You have to provide that proof before you can use scripture as evidence of anything in a discussion, argument, or debate.

Evidence is necessary.
What are you talking about? You said it would be shown to be wrong. I am patiently waiting. I do have to show evidence for anything. You said scripture wasn't evidence. Still waiting.
05-11-2015, 08:23 PM
(05-11-2015 08:13 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 07:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  You have to provide that proof before you can use scripture as evidence of anything in a discussion, argument, or debate.

Evidence is necessary.
What are you talking about? You said it would be shown to be wrong. I am patiently waiting. I do have to show evidence for anything. You said scripture wasn't evidence. Still waiting.

First thing you've gotten right in a while... Shame it was on accident.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
05-11-2015, 08:25 PM
(05-11-2015 07:09 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 06:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  Those unevidenced assertions can be, and will be, summarily dismissed. Drinking Beverage

If only it had more dragons, I could believe it, well, dragons, light sabers and zombies. If it had dragons, light sabers and zombies, sign me up.

You forgot the robot pirates.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
05-11-2015, 09:09 PM
Silly shit.
(05-11-2015 10:26 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I was asked what I believe.
Not by me you bloody weren't. I asked you multiple questions to which you refused to answer, obfuscated, and out right attempted to dodge.

Quote:Why would it matter to you why I believe anything?
Because people who make decisions based on a faulty and delusional world view frequently make terrible or outright harmful decisions, both to themselves and others. Because those people have children and pass their superstitious nonsense on through indoctrination to those children instead of things that are ACTUALLY helpful such as reason and critical thinking. I care what, and more importantly why, you believe because I care about the welfare of people and I'd rather not see the species be bogged down by superstitious nonsense or worse be dragged backwards in to the kind of barbaric, primitive, savagery that was commonplace when people like you, the irrational and superstitious, were the ones with all the power.

Quote:Do you have a better explanation to the origin of the universe other than everything came from nothing for absolutely no reason? I dont. So until a better one....Tongue
1.) "I can't imagine a better answer.....so therefore god dun it!" is not just a logical fallacy it's one of the many peaks in the mountain range of personal ignorance. Your lack of an imagination is not an argument mate.
2.) There are also several uh... dozen competing hypothesis for the origin of the universe that are vastly more complex and well written than "everything from nothing for no reason herp a derp". Which by the way is not the stance of ANY physicist that I am aware of. Perhaps the reason you think "an invisible man who speaks to me in dreams" is the best answer because you are too busy dishonestly misrepresenting your opposition to actually learn what the opposition actually bloody is?
3.) If I am unable to provide a better explanation that does not mean that you are rationally justified in accepting whatever pet idea happens to tickle your balls the most. Your position is not justified or rational unless you can demonstrate it's accuracy.
4.) As I said before EVERY SINGLE theory that does NOT require, as it's ENTIRE explanation, a thing that can not be shown to exist is a better explanation then yours. Which is every single one of them give or take. Your explanation solves exactly zero questions about the how and then layers on top of the unanswered questions MORE questions. Your explanation has no explanatory powers and is as such worthless as an explanation. It's God of the gaps nonsense, designed not to answer questions but to stifle questions being asked.
To offer god as an explanation you have to prove that god exists FIRST. You have ZERO demonstrable evidence for this or for the notion that a god could be responsible.

However I have a question about your silly and ignorant misrepresentation of the non-theistic view of the origin of the universe: Why can something not come from nothing?

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
05-11-2015, 09:17 PM
(05-11-2015 10:57 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  First, it is not a contradiction to say that rejecting my faith will not have any positive effect on my life but it is more beneficial for me to believe.
It's not a contradiction it's just wrong. You are more likely to successfully and happily navigate reality when you can actually recognize the difference between reality and delusion. The closer your internal map of reality reflects actual reality the better off you will be while operating in that reality.
Ignorance might be bliss, but it's not helpful.

Quote:Second, what benefits do I have from being a Christian? Google "four killed in car accident jacksonville nc ".... you will find a good reason why I prefer to be a theist.
Your inability to cope with reality on realities terms does not justify nor validate delusional living or irrational thinking.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post