Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2015, 09:28 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 11:24 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  ....if the only reasonable answer is that I chose to believe in God as a coping mechanism to get over my loss, it seems like a fine reason for me.
A falsehood, no matter how comforting, is still a falsehood.

(05-11-2015 12:20 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I won't get into specifics but all I will say is that either God actually spoke to me or I have completely lost my marbles. I prefer to believe I am not insane. Ok fellas.....let the roast begin. Dodgy
Mental ward are full of exactly that type of person. "I hear voices so either it's god or I'm crazy and I don't want to be crazy so therefore it must be god...despite having no evidence of any kind that a god exists but having thousands of years worth and millions upon millions of examples of degenerative mental health in humans suffering emotional trauma."

So when you go to the military to become a Chaplin will you inform them that you hear voices and might be mentally imbalanced or will you lie by omission?

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2015, 09:35 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 12:49 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 12:30 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Why would you believe that god is talking to you? Let's skip insanity and trolling and we could call arrogance a reason for such belief. I guess it must feel quite good to have opportunity to listen to creator of universe.
Ok. Here we go. I had a vision in a dream. I know there are many explanations in the realm of Psychology or Physiology. But this vision was so powerful that it has resulting in giving up an amazing career flying an amazing aircraft to becoming a chaplain.
I see exactly no link from "I had a dream" to" therefore god talks to me".

How can you tell, while unconscious and in a dream state, the difference between a "dream" and a "vision within a dream"? Can you provide any evidence that "visions" are an actual thing and not just a product of a mentally imbalanced mind? Why if there are perfectly reasonable explanations both psychologically and physiologically for what you alleged to have experienced would you COMPLETELY ignore them in favor of the answer you WANT to have? How do you NOT see that as arrogant, self serving, irrational, and just inherently dishonest and ignorant?

[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
05-11-2015, 09:43 PM
(05-11-2015 03:02 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  EvolutionKills,

Never studied any God while I was atheist. Still value evidence, rationality, and the scientific method. Never had a problem with not having all the answers and still don't.

Didn't give up anything, it was added to, and made more complete.
What a load of utter lying bullshit. I person who valued evidence wouldn't constantly try to pretend he does not have to provide any to support his dumb ass assertions. A person who valued the scientific method wouldn't abandon it the second it doesn't get him the answers he decide he wanted. A person who valued rationality would not try to REPEATEDLY AND WITHOUT FUCKING END try to weasel his way out of his burden of proof when criticisms are brought against his irrational, and unproven, assertions.

You are a fucking liar you rapey lil' shit.

Quote:I know you can't grasp some things, but that's no reason to call me a liar.
No the fact that you are a lying violent psychopathic rapist is enough reason to call you a liar you bloody liar.

05-11-2015, 09:51 PM
Geezus, Whiskey! Go have a Glenlivet or something, change of pace. Relaaaaaaxxxxxxxxx.. Big Grin

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
05-11-2015, 09:55 PM
(05-11-2015 09:43 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 03:02 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  EvolutionKills,

Never studied any God while I was atheist. Still value evidence, rationality, and the scientific method. Never had a problem with not having all the answers and still don't.

Didn't give up anything, it was added to, and made more complete.
What a load of utter lying bullshit. I person who valued evidence wouldn't constantly try to pretend he does not have to provide any to support his dumb ass assertions. A person who valued the scientific method wouldn't abandon it the second it doesn't get him the answers he decide he wanted. A person who valued rationality would not try to REPEATEDLY AND WITHOUT FUCKING END try to weasel his way out of his burden of proof when criticisms are brought against his irrational, and unproven, assertions.

You are a fucking liar you rapey lil' shit.

Quote:I know you can't grasp some things, but that's no reason to call me a liar.
No the fact that you are a lying violent psychopathic rapist is enough reason to call you a liar you bloody liar.

Rapist, man?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
05-11-2015, 10:03 PM
(05-11-2015 05:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 11:44 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I am here to understand atheist and know how they are being persecuted and judged so that I may better protect them.

That is the mark of a good chaplain. How else would you learn how to counsel atheists? Do they teach that in chaplain school?
I am not in chaplain school yet. Just working on a Masters in Divinity which is a requirement to become a chaplain. The actual chaplain school is more focused on understanding the roles and expectations of a chaplain. Learning about what services we can provide and understanding how to counsel and provide support for severe members and their families in crisis situations. Anything from working with the wounded and dying in a field hospital, to consoling a grieving widow when she gets the bad news, to helping with marriage counseling, ect.
05-11-2015, 10:05 PM
(05-11-2015 04:25 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 04:20 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Coming from you, that is an absolute riot.

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load
Thought y'all might like that. Frankly; there is much I don't know. But the existence of God isn't one of those things.
knowledge is demonstrable by it's very definition you shitbird, you can't demonstrate it true so it's not knowledge. You don't get to redefine words to suit your twisted dishonest means asshole.

You don't know shit about shit, your just a psychopath and a liar.

Quote:Nor are the things I claim to know. I dc it's strictly opinion I say so. Shit, if I'm not certain I say so. If I don't state such and the topic is God or Faith then I will go to my death stating the same is factual.
Try typing that again in English sweetheart, but with less meth in your bloodstream.

Quote:Please don't say that facts are strictly observable by those who don't experience them either. Talk about fallacy. That shit gets old.
This should be amusingly pathetic: Pops......name the fallacy. Or are you simply making them up like you do definitions?

05-11-2015, 10:09 PM
Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(05-11-2015 08:13 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 07:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  You have to provide that proof before you can use scripture as evidence of anything in a discussion, argument, or debate.

Evidence is necessary.
What are you talking about? You said it would be shown to be wrong. I am patiently waiting. I do have to show evidence for anything. You said scripture wasn't evidence. Still waiting.

I did not say it was wrong. Where did you get that? Consider
I said it is not proven to be true. That is not at all the same.

You can't use non-fact as evidence, and those scriptures are not shown to be factual;
there is quite a bit of doubt about their provenance and authorship, not to mention the abundant contradictions and unusual claims they contain.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-11-2015, 10:09 PM
(05-11-2015 01:39 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 01:15 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Okay.

You had a vision of "god", which unfortunately is considered socially acceptable.

If you instead had a vision of the dark lord Cthulhu, you'd be sectioned.

Even though neither is crazier than the other. Funny thing that. Drinking Beverage
Cthulhu is a close friend of mine. Did a tour together in Afghanistan and saved my skin a time or two. What does he have to do with this? Wink

A many others have already noted, it's a shame your humor seems to be nothing more than a defense mechanism. Undecided

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
05-11-2015, 10:10 PM
(05-11-2015 11:24 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  But if the only reasonable answer is that I chose to believe in God as a coping mechanism to get over my loss, it seems like a fine reason for me.

This is the type of logic employed by a heroin addict.