Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2015, 07:44 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(31-10-2015 06:57 PM)bussta33 Wrote:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tGN3TWzSZs
Smfh. Genesis couldn't be more off.
I have read a lot of different scripture from different religions. I have yet to see one case where it says the earth is flat. We still call morning sun rise and evening sun set. This doesn't mean that we don't understand that the earth spins and orbits the Sun.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2015, 07:47 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(31-10-2015 08:05 PM)Alla Wrote:  In the VIDEO it says:
As to what God was perceiving as day and night, could only be the passage of light into darkness.
However, there is no logical sense in creating light before the very thing that creates light, stars.

ALLA:
God did not say that He created light. Then why do they say in the video that God said this?
At this point God said that He created heaven and earth. What is heaven? How big is heaven? What is beyond this heaven?
Can you answer these questions?
Heaven can refer to the atmosphere and space and the universe. God knows it's breadth and depth.
01-11-2015, 08:03 PM
(01-11-2015 07:47 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(31-10-2015 08:05 PM)Alla Wrote:  In the VIDEO it says:
As to what God was perceiving as day and night, could only be the passage of light into darkness.
However, there is no logical sense in creating light before the very thing that creates light, stars.

ALLA:
God did not say that He created light. Then why do they say in the video that God said this?
At this point God said that He created heaven and earth. What is heaven? How big is heaven? What is beyond this heaven?
Can you answer these questions?
Heaven can refer to the atmosphere and space and the universe. God knows it's breadth and depth.

How can you possibly claim to know what God knows? Facepalm

Are you arrogant or just delusional? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-11-2015, 08:19 PM
(01-11-2015 08:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-11-2015 07:47 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Heaven can refer to the atmosphere and space and the universe. God knows it's breadth and depth.

How can you possibly claim to know what God knows? Facepalm

I specifically stated that God knows. Not me. Congrats on that stellar comprehension. Perhaps I should congratulate you on yet another attempt at misconstrueing my words.
01-11-2015, 10:30 PM
(01-11-2015 07:05 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(01-11-2015 06:45 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Furthermore, how do I know I'm worshipping the correct god, because the god here may not be the original, actual god.
Don't worry about it. You don't believe in any god, so you don't need this information. It will be useless.
Wow, that was rude. I'm trying to understand. I guess you don't want to bother. I'll leave you alone, then.
02-11-2015, 12:00 AM
(01-11-2015 06:42 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I will just place this here...

Biblical flat world

The phrase of Isaiah 40:22, "the circle of the earth" is very controversial. There are a couple main views of this phrase. The first interpretation says that the word "circle" means "sphere" indicating that the earth is a sphere. This view seems most unlikely since we have all ready seen that the Hebrew word gh means "circle," and it seems very remote that it means "sphere" because of the context, and there is a better Hebrew word for "sphere," rwd. In Isaiah 22:18 the word rwd is translated "ball." If the LXX translators understood gh as "sphere," they would have used the Greek word sfairoeides. Plugging the meaning of "sphere" into every passage that gh occurs will result in awkward interpretations.

The second interpretation is that the earth is a round flat disk. Although the ancient world thought the earth was round and flat, this phrase seems to refer to the shape the vaulted heavens above the earth from which the inhabitants look like grasshoppers.

this same fictional book further purports the world is flat,

Revelation 7:1
1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.

corners? no no, sry it is a round sphere....ah, guess the lord and creator wasnt aware of that.

Matthew 4:8
8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; (KJV)

Astronomical bodies are spherical, and you cannot see the entire exterior surface from any place. The kingdoms of Egypt, China, Greece, Crete, sections of Asia Minor, India, Maya (in Mexico), Carthage (North Africa), Rome (Italy), Korea, and other settlements from these kingdoms of the world were widely distributed.

Job 11:9
The measure thereof is longer than the earth, and broader than the sea.

Job 28:24
For he looketh to the ends of the earth, and seeth under the whole heaven;

Job 37:3
He directeth it under the whole heaven, and his lightning unto the ends of the earth.

Job 38:4-6
Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;

Job 38:13
That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?

Jeremiah 16:19
O LORD, my strength, and my fortress, and my refuge in the day of affliction, the Gentiles shall come unto thee from the ends of the earth, and shall say, Surely our fathers have inherited lies, vanity, and things wherein there is no profit.

Daniel 4:11
The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the end of all the earth
That is all based of the understanding of man at that time. Directions, pillars, cornerstones are things that keep a structure sound. It is all philosophical, not implying that the earth was flat, but that the things they spoke of were the actual ties that bind that held great significance for life and existence as we know it.

Peace
02-11-2015, 03:05 AM
Oh I just love these non-answers from pops and Alla.

When I read such stupid, deluded horse shit, my IQ drops to level which leaves me grasping for the words to define the feeling of frustration and disgust in my stomach that these types expect us to accept this as rational explanations and responses. However, I am regularly unable to muster much more than a, "Go fuck yourself you lying piece of shit." And I feel that its more than an appropriate response.
[+] 4 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
02-11-2015, 03:06 AM
(01-11-2015 08:19 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(01-11-2015 08:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  How can you possibly claim to know what God knows? Facepalm

I specifically stated that God knows. Not me. Congrats on that stellar comprehension. Perhaps I should congratulate you on yet another attempt at misconstrueing my words.

No, you moron - how do know that God knows what you claim he knows?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
02-11-2015, 03:38 AM
(02-11-2015 12:00 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  That is all based of the understanding of man at that time. Directions, pillars, cornerstones are things that keep a structure sound. It is all philosophical, not implying that the earth was flat, but that the things they spoke of were the actual ties that bind that held great significance for life and existence as we know it.

Peace

The ancient Hebrew had a word for a ball or a sphere, instead they went with a word that specifically meant 'circle'. This also ignores the fact that languages are mutable and changing, and that they could have invented a new word to describe a spherical Earth, and yet they did not. They had other words at their disposal to more accurately describe how the world actually is, but instead went with the one that matched the fallacious contemporary myths of ancient Mesopotamia.

It is not 'philosophical', they very literally meant 'circle'. As in, the world was a flat 'circle', and not a 'ball' shaped Earth. Their cosmology was wrong, and was wrong in such a way as to be typical of their ignorant and pre-scientific predecessors and neighbors.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
02-11-2015, 04:53 AM
Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(01-11-2015 04:15 PM)Alla Wrote:  Q: how is god able to think without a physical brain?
A: He has physical brain. But those spirits who do not have physical body have brains which are organized from spiritual matter.
Can you please define in physical terms what constitutes "spiritual matter"? I understand that matter is anything that has mass, and mass takes up space. The word spiritual defines something not having any physical or material form. To me, this means that the term spiritual matter is an obvious oxymoron. Can you clarify this?

(01-11-2015 04:15 PM)Alla Wrote:  Q: Who was there to record that?
A: the Holy Ghost - Witness of all truth.
Can you also define in non-metaphysical terms the meaning of the phrase Holy "Ghost"? (Metaphysics is concerned with abstract thoughts or subjects, such as existence, perception, causality, or truth.) Specifically, I'd like you to define what you mean (from a personal perspective, rather than a biblical one) when you use the term ghost.

Thanks.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post