Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2015, 11:11 AM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(06-11-2015 10:59 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 10:40 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I'd suck it up, cry in a corner, and/or talk to a friend before I went to a chaplain. What is a chaplain going to say that a friend can't say?

[And how many chaplains are attached to an ambushed infantry platoon in the mountains of Afghanistan that a Marine could have a choice?]

With respect, Thinkerbell, it's that "suck it up and cry in a corner" attitude that is the reason the suicide rate among our returning veterans is through the roof. What if that friend he would have turned to is the one who caught the bullet? What if he had six friends and they were all wiped out in the attack, and he's dealing with survivor's guilt and trust issues with people he would normally have called friends? What if his buddies are all fine, but it's a private matter that he doesn't want to trust them with, so he needs to talk to someone he knows must keep his secret? Even if there's not a chaplain at the remote firebase, wounded Marines would be taken to a hospital where a chaplain's understanding ear might be just what that person needs to recover. Humans are much more fragile creatures than we like to let on, even Marines.

Having even one chaplain who has a reputation among the troops as a guy you can absolutely trust, one whom you know would "call out" and put a stop to bullying of the people of "wrong" religions (including, of course, None), could make a world of difference to a soldier who might be teetering on that edge of thinking he can't go on with life. It could make all the difference to the guy who just got a Dear John letter from his wife back in the States.

(06-11-2015 10:59 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 10:40 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I'd suck it up, cry in a corner, and/or talk to a friend before I went to a chaplain. What is a chaplain going to say that a friend can't say?

[And how many chaplains are attached to an ambushed infantry platoon in the mountains of Afghanistan that a Marine could have a choice?]
More than you think. Chaplains are embedded in some infantry platoons just like a Corpsman would. I would recommend looking into some information on chaplains.

Point(s) taken.

I still couldn't do it.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
06-11-2015, 11:17 AM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(06-11-2015 11:07 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 07:09 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  If it had dragons, light sabers and zombies, sign me up.

"Then another sign appeared in heaven: an enormous red dragon with seven heads and ten horns and seven crowns on its heads." - Revelation 12:3

Dragons, check.

"As he was traveling, it happened that he was approaching Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him; and he fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?" - Acts 9:3 verses 3-4.

Light sabers, check.

Zombies, check. - John 11 and the story of Lazarus.
Behemoth, Leviethon, the sword of God, the revival of the dead. Not to be taken literally, but if they were....
[+] 2 users Like popsthebuilder's post
06-11-2015, 11:29 AM
(05-11-2015 11:25 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Is he a poe?

No.

(05-11-2015 11:25 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Like I said I have tough skin and I like to think I can handle most critisms . However whisky is really testing me. ... I don't think I can take him seriously. Regardless I may have to hit the ignore button on him.

Why? The DrunkDebater's points frighten you somehow? Don't want to spelunk the deep caverns of your mind without gear?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-11-2015, 11:33 AM
(06-11-2015 03:02 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I'll take an indifferent universe over the fickle whims of a sometimes interventionist, invisible, emotionally stunted, pan-dimensional space wizard.

You know where that's going. Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-11-2015, 11:36 AM
(06-11-2015 11:29 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 11:25 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Is he a poe?

No.

(05-11-2015 11:25 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Like I said I have tough skin and I like to think I can handle most critisms . However whisky is really testing me. ... I don't think I can take him seriously. Regardless I may have to hit the ignore button on him.

Why? The DrunkDebater's points frighten you somehow? Don't want to spelunk the deep caverns of your mind without gear?
Yeah exactly. But actually I thought he was acting rather juvenile.
06-11-2015, 11:46 AM
(06-11-2015 11:36 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Yeah exactly. But actually I thought he was acting rather juvenile.

So. You know that a large majority of the people you will counsel as a chaplain are like 18-22 years old. Better to learn how to handle it now than later.

[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-11-2015, 12:02 PM
(06-11-2015 10:40 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 10:17 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  What if you were a Marine in an infantry platoon in the mountains of Afghanistan and just survived an ambush that resulted in the death of your high school best friend? I know it is difficult at times to understand the real life situations of combat. Unfortunately the only option a Marine has to get any professional help is by the chaplain. Even if an atheist Marine did not want my help because of my faith, I will still be required to help that individual by finding someone who he prefers and I would be more than happy to do so if that is what he chooses. It goes back to the protection of religious freedom.

I'd suck it up, cry in a corner, and/or talk to a friend before I went to a chaplain. What is a chaplain going to say that a friend can't say?

One reason atheists would go to the chaplain is that a chaplain can get things done that an Atheist would not be able to inside of the normal chain of command. They can take things outside of that chain of command and get things done if needed. Or take something straight to the top if they think it is urgent enough.
[+] 2 users Like ohio_drg's post
06-11-2015, 12:02 PM
(06-11-2015 11:11 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 10:59 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  More than you think. Chaplains are embedded in some infantry platoons just like a Corpsman would. I would recommend looking into some information on chaplains.

Point(s) taken.

I still couldn't do it.
Yeah, a psychiatrist would be much better.

I mean would you go to an anointed witch for support on a serious issue?

How about going to a guy that talks about star wars all the time, is often quote as telling people to "use the force" (which is no different to a religious person saying "I'll pray for you") or "may the force be with you" (a.k.a. "god bless").

It's really hard to take these people seriously and to confide in them on a serious matter is next to impossible.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
06-11-2015, 12:22 PM
(06-11-2015 12:02 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 11:11 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Point(s) taken.

I still couldn't do it.
Yeah, a psychiatrist would be much better.

I mean would you go to an anointed witch for support on a serious issue?

How about going to a guy that talks about star wars all the time, is often quote as telling people to "use the force" (which is no different to a religious person saying "I'll pray for you") or "may the force be with you" (a.k.a. "god bless").

It's really hard to take these people seriously and to confide in them on a serious matter is next to impossible.
I think you are referring to a psychologist not a psychiatrist. However neither will be appropriate. They are not prescribing medications for depression or treating mental illness. Grief is not an illness to be diagnosed.
06-11-2015, 12:32 PM
Is there anyone here who can claim they have a better understanding about military chaplains than I do. Are there any atheist here who were former military chaplains? So why are there so many experts here about chaplains and how atheist service members have benefitted from them? I would assume that as an active duty Marine officer who is training to become a chaplain that this may be the one topic that I should be a credible source.