Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2015, 12:34 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(06-11-2015 12:22 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 12:02 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Yeah, a psychiatrist would be much better.

I mean would you go to an anointed witch for support on a serious issue?

How about going to a guy that talks about star wars all the time, is often quote as telling people to "use the force" (which is no different to a religious person saying "I'll pray for you") or "may the force be with you" (a.k.a. "god bless").

It's really hard to take these people seriously and to confide in them on a serious matter is next to impossible.
I think you are referring to a psychologist not a psychiatrist. However neither will be appropriate. They are not prescribing medications for depression or treating mental illness. Grief is not an illness to be diagnosed.
I don't think you need to be depressed or have a mental illness to make use of a psychologist or psychiatrist.
But anyhow, I understand that many people need counseling (even atheists). I also understand that religious folk have special needs (similar to some troubled kids at school needing a teacher's aid).
Religious folk have guilt and issues regarding their imagined spiritual needs.

As an atheist, if I were in need of counseling, I'd prefer a counselor that doesn't belief in fairies. Otherwise I would be constantly thinking that my counselor has mental problems.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
06-11-2015, 12:37 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(06-11-2015 12:34 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 12:22 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I think you are referring to a psychologist not a psychiatrist. However neither will be appropriate. They are not prescribing medications for depression or treating mental illness. Grief is not an illness to be diagnosed.
I don't think you need to be depressed or have a mental illness to make use of a psychologist or psychiatrist.
But anyhow, I understand that many people need counseling (even atheists). I also understand that religious folk have special needs (similar to some troubled kids at school needing a teacher's aid).
Religious folk have guilt and issues regarding their imagined spiritual needs.

As an atheist, if I were in need of counseling, I'd prefer a counselor that doesn't belief in fairies. Otherwise I would be constantly thinking that my counselor has mental problems.
And it would be a theist military chaplain who would ensure you get an atheist therapist. Because you have the right to one. Wink
[+] 2 users Like jason_delisle's post
06-11-2015, 12:37 PM
(06-11-2015 10:31 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 10:00 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  That's what I've been wondering. From the horror stories of the military and religion, there seems to be less reason. In the civilian world, we don't find a priest or minister or our evangelical friends. Why would an atheist seek out a chaplain? Correct if I'm wrong but I don't think the military actively suggests atheists visit the chaplain.
Why would an atheist seek out a chaplain? There are plenty of reasons. Being a Captain in the Marine Corps and an officer in charge of over 100 Marines I have seen multiple occasions first hand where an atheist sought help from a chaplain at his own request. Tomorrow I am going to meet with one of my Marines who happens to be an atheist who is currently in ICU. We asked him if a chaplain would be of any help and he eagerly accepted.
Question answered. Thanks. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
06-11-2015, 12:41 PM
(06-11-2015 12:32 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Is there anyone here who can claim they have a better understanding about military chaplains than I do. Are there any atheist here who were former military chaplains? So why are there so many experts here about chaplains and how atheist service members have benefitted from them? I would assume that as an active duty Marine officer who is training to become a chaplain that this may be the one topic that I should be a credible source.
Can't speak for anyone else here, but long ago I entertained the thought back when I was a theist.

But my question was an honest question. You answered it. I figure with you being a Marine there was no reason to hold back in *how* I asked. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
06-11-2015, 12:52 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2015 01:01 PM by GirlyMan.)
(06-11-2015 12:32 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Is there anyone here who can claim they have a better understanding about military chaplains than I do. Are there any atheist here who were former military chaplains? So why are there so many experts here about chaplains and how atheist service members have benefitted from them?

When I was in the USN I used to schedule appointments with the chaplain just for edification and understanding. I'll always remember when he and I both agreed that "From each according to their ability and to each according to their need" is not from Marx but from The Word. - Acts 5

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-11-2015, 12:53 PM
(06-11-2015 12:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 12:32 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Is there anyone here who can claim they have a better understanding about military chaplains than I do. Are there any atheist here who were former military chaplains? So why are there so many experts here about chaplains and how atheist service members have benefitted from them?

When I was in he USN I used to schedule appointments with the chaplain just for edification and understanding. I'll always remember when he and I both agreed that "From each according to their need and to each according to their need" is not from Max but from The Word. - Acts 5
That is true.
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
06-11-2015, 01:02 PM
(06-11-2015 11:36 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 11:29 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  No.

Why? The DrunkDebater's points frighten you somehow? Don't want to spelunk the deep caverns of your mind without gear?
Yeah exactly. But actually I thought he was acting rather juvenile.
Surely not Mr. Whiskey! He is the epitome of leveled discerning conversation with productive outcome.
[+] 4 users Like popsthebuilder's post
06-11-2015, 01:08 PM
(06-11-2015 01:02 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 11:36 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Yeah exactly. But actually I thought he was acting rather juvenile.
Surely not Mr. Whiskey! He is the epitome of leveled discerning conversation with productive outcome.

Pop's got sarcasm. Thumbsup

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-11-2015, 01:14 PM
(06-11-2015 12:37 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  And it would be a theist military chaplain who would ensure you get an atheist therapist. Because you have the right to one. Wink
Why a theist chaplain? What value does their crazy belief in magical entities have for me? It's a detractor. We might as well replace them with Wiccan chaplains, but of course I doubt you would like that. or maybe Jedi chaplains, but they are crazy right?

What value is a theist chaplain for me? Would I be better served by a scientist of some sort i.e. a psychaitrist or a psychologist rather than a believer in mystical and magical things.

A theist chaplain is only of value to others that have special needs (spiritual needs).
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
06-11-2015, 01:18 PM
(06-11-2015 01:14 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 12:37 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  And it would be a theist military chaplain who would ensure you get an atheist therapist. Because you have the right to one. Wink
Why a theist chaplain? What value does their crazy belief in magical entities have for me? It's a detractor. We might as well replace them with Wiccan chaplains, but of course I doubt you would like that. or maybe Jedi chaplains, but they are crazy right?

What value is a theist chaplain for me? Would I be better served by a scientist of some sort i.e. a psychaitrist or a psychologist rather than a believer in mystical and magical things.

A theist chaplain is only of value to others that have special needs (spiritual needs).
You obviously don't know anything about military chaplains.