Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2015, 04:37 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(06-11-2015 04:24 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Anyhow, about that flat earth....

[Image: 1680x1050_discworld-terry-pratchett-wall...1434127785]

Fiction. Pure fiction.
Cool pic.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes popsthebuilder's post
06-11-2015, 04:39 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(06-11-2015 04:12 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 03:57 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  One nation under God. Do you remember that. Pretty sure you took an oath under a similar statement. So yeah you may be subjected to religious views seeing as how you took an oath under such.

Yeah -- and you and Senator McCarthy (the douchebag who was instrumental in the change of the pledge) can BOTH kiss my heathen ass.....
Pretty sure the pledge of allegiance was prior to McCarthy. Isn't that who you said? Have no clue who that is by the way.
06-11-2015, 05:00 PM
(06-11-2015 04:11 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 10:58 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I understand completely how nuts and lost Kay sound to some. It is irrelevant. If I cared about my image as opposed to my message then I would say things in a more likable way to appease the masses. That would me manipulation and greed on different levels though. I don't care to misconstrue the things I know to appease others. To do such would be to neglect what I know is right and could have severe consequences, not to mention diluting the truth.

If you cared about your message, you would be better off attempting to be learning how to spread it in ways that can make it spread. You don't have to be manipulative, and it's not like you're some pinnacle of complete dishonesty.

How many times do you ignore direct questions, constantly. Why do you do this? How many times have you gone on about positivity while countering that with the negative ranting hate filled comments. So you clearly neglect what you know is "right" all the time. You just apparently don't know how to communicate at any reasonable manner still, and aren't getting better at it because your just rather insist your way is right despite no evidence of a benefit to it here. Of course you don't really care for anything describable, just stick to what you feel is right to work through it. So how about it, why don't you answer direct questions all the time?
I really try to. Often times I don't see a lot of them. I get a notice if someone quotes me and I respond. Otherwise I most likely won't see the question. As far as answering things in a manner that seems evasive; my cognitive processes seem to be very different from those who discern all things as being of the physical. This oft times leads to a wide chasm between the two parties attempting communication. I am working to be more direct in my responses in terms that can be more readily discerned by whoever asked the question. I do agree that my endless ranting seems to affect some but not all. I am prepared to attempt to level with others in a more direct way that they can understand. Keep in mind that I am off in space more often than not. I am a poor communicator in general and always have been an outsider from society and even self so needless to say communicating in a manner that all can relate to and understand is a weakness of mine. I am a work in progress as we all are. Again, I will, as of now attempt to answer questions in like manner to which they were asked. Just remember to quote me if you want a response.
Lastly, all this is on a phone with limited viewing space and capacity done by someone who although at one point in life actually programmed and understood hardware, now is somewhat lost to the technological advancement of today's gadgets.

Hope that helped to explain just a little.

Peace.
06-11-2015, 05:20 PM
(06-11-2015 04:39 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 04:12 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yeah -- and you and Senator McCarthy (the douchebag who was instrumental in the change of the pledge) can BOTH kiss my heathen ass.....
Pretty sure the pledge of allegiance was prior to McCarthy. Isn't that who you said? Have no clue who that is by the way.

The pledge of allegiance predates McCarthy, but the "under God" clause was not in the original pledge. It was added during the McCarthy era as part of the battle against "Godless Communism". You really should read up on McCarthy -- he was an important (though unsavory) part of American history.

As for the founders of the United States, they were not atheists, but several of them were deists (i.e., they believed in a creator but not a personal God), and they took great pains to separate church and state. They did not want religion to control government (or vice versa).
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
06-11-2015, 05:22 PM
(06-11-2015 05:20 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 04:39 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Pretty sure the pledge of allegiance was prior to McCarthy. Isn't that who you said? Have no clue who that is by the way.

The pledge of allegiance predates McCarthy, but the "under God" clause was not in the original pledge. It was added during the McCarthy era as part of the battle against "Godless Communism". You really should read up on McCarthy -- he was an important (though unsavory) part of American history.

As for the founders of the United States, they were not atheists, but several of them were deists (i.e., they believed in a creator but not a personal God), and they took great pains to separate church and state. They did not want religion to control government (or vice versa).
It is my understanding that some of the forefathers were aware of the manipulation of religion even at that time.

Thanks for the bit about McCarthy.
06-11-2015, 05:23 PM
Pops - Go look it up, please. You're talking out of your ass.

Pledge was written in 1892 (by a Baptist preacher). It did not say "under God" until 1954. Try to figure out why that might be so. It was around the same time that the national motto was changed from "out of many, one" (E Pluribus Unum) to "In God We Trust". Again, see if you can reach for some of that history or at least some Google Fu, and figure out why that might have been.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
06-11-2015, 05:44 PM
(06-11-2015 03:32 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 03:20 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Visiting him as his CO is just basic human compassion. You seem to be the compassionate sort so I would expect nothing less from you.

Visiting him as a religious entity in the line of duty brings baggage.

Do chaplains' uniforms include any religious symbols?
Yes. On their collar there is a symbol to indicate their faith. But you are still suggesting i should deny the chaplain request?

I never suggested anything of the sort, so, no, I am not *still* suggesting it. If the person agreed to such a visit, go right ahead. Not all atheists are as rabid as some of us here.

But for those of us who are rabid, can you understand that going to a "neutral" person for counseling is negated by the pin on his collar? S/He is declaring for the enemy without uttering one word.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 3 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
06-11-2015, 05:50 PM
(06-11-2015 04:39 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 04:12 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yeah -- and you and Senator McCarthy (the douchebag who was instrumental in the change of the pledge) can BOTH kiss my heathen ass.....

Not quite ancient history, Pops. I remember when we said the pledge without the "under God."

You really read a book now and then. You're making stuff up..

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
06-11-2015, 05:56 PM
(06-11-2015 04:36 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Dude I was inlisted in 99 was it changed prior to that year?

I took the oath of enlistment in 1982.

(06-11-2015 04:36 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  This country was literally founded under God in persute of freedom, liberty and equality.

It most certainly was not. Your knowledge of history sucks as much as your grammar and ability to express yourself coherently.

(06-11-2015 04:36 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  If you don't like those facts them don't join the service. Evidently the oath has been changed to allow for atheists anyway so what's the problem?

The oath has not been changed. What part of "no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States" do you not understand? USN didn't give a shit whether I believed in God or not. Only thing they gave a shit about was whether I could do my job.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-11-2015, 05:58 PM
(06-11-2015 05:50 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 04:39 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Pretty sure the pledge of allegiance was prior to McCarthy. Isn't that who you said? Have no clue who that is by the way.

Not quite ancient history, Pops. I remember when we said the pledge without the "under God."

You really read a book now and then. You're making stuff up..
What am I making up? When I was in school the pledge of allegiance involved God. I was born in 81 and remember because I was atheist and refused to resight the "under God" part throughout childhood.