Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2015, 06:02 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(06-11-2015 05:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 04:36 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Dude I was inlisted in 99 was it changed prior to that year?

I took the oath of enlistment in 1982.

(06-11-2015 04:36 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  This country was literally founded under God in persute of freedom, liberty and equality.

It most certainly was not. Your knowledge of history sucks as much as your grammar and ability to express yourself coherently.

(06-11-2015 04:36 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  If you don't like those facts them don't join the service. Evidently the oath has been changed to allow for atheists anyway so what's the problem?

The oath has not been changed. What part of "no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States" do you not understand? USN didn't give a shit whether I believed in God or not. Only thing they gave a shit about was whether I could do my job.
Ok so why was I pledged in under God? I suck at history. My memory if those years is crappy. I want to say I actually had to place my hand on a bible, but I could be wrong.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes popsthebuilder's post
06-11-2015, 06:11 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(06-11-2015 06:02 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Ok so why was I pledged in under God? I suck at history. My memory if those years is crappy. I want to say I actually had to place my hand on a bible, but I could be wrong.

There was no Bible. And you pledged "so help me God" because you apparently didn't know no different.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-11-2015, 06:12 PM
(06-11-2015 06:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 06:02 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Ok so why was I pledged in under God? I suck at history. My memory if those years is crappy. I want to say I actually had to place my hand on a bible, but I could be wrong.

There was no Bible. And you pledged "so help me God" because you apparently didn't know no different.
What do you mean? Didn't know no different.
06-11-2015, 06:14 PM
(06-11-2015 06:12 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 06:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There was no Bible. And you pledged "so help me God" because you apparently didn't know no different.
What do you mean? Didn't know no different.

You apparently did not know that "so help me God" was optional. I did. I rejected it. No big deal. Nobody cared.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-11-2015, 06:23 PM
Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

In a lot of cases the "so help me god" is not part of the official oath or is optional but many people think it is required so they include it when administering the oath. Most people taking the oath are believers and have no problem saying it. It only comes up if you think to ask ahead of time or refuse to say it.

As an example, the oath of office for US Presidents is:
“I do solemnly swear [affirm] that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

That's it. The person taking the oath can use "swear" or "affirm" and anything added after the oath is incidental, including "so help me god".

The last I heard, the navy dropped it as a requirement.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
06-11-2015, 06:38 PM
(06-11-2015 05:23 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Pops - Go look it up, please. You're talking out of your ass.

Pledge was written in 1892 (by a Baptist preacher). It did not say "under God" until 1954. Try to figure out why that might be so. It was around the same time that the national motto was changed from "out of many, one" (E Pluribus Unum) to "In God We Trust". Again, see if you can reach for some of that history or at least some Google Fu, and figure out why that might have been.
So our money didn't always say" in God we trust"?

Learn something new everyday.

This country was forged under the general belief in God though. Puritans, Quakers...ring a bell. Thanks for the history lesson for real.
06-11-2015, 06:43 PM
(06-11-2015 06:38 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 05:23 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Pops - Go look it up, please. You're talking out of your ass.

Pledge was written in 1892 (by a Baptist preacher). It did not say "under God" until 1954. Try to figure out why that might be so. It was around the same time that the national motto was changed from "out of many, one" (E Pluribus Unum) to "In God We Trust". Again, see if you can reach for some of that history or at least some Google Fu, and figure out why that might have been.
So our money didn't always say" in God we trust"?

This country was forged under the general belief in God though. Puritans, Quakers...ring a bell. Thanks for the history lesson for real.

No, the country was founded because the Articles of Confederation were inadequate. The colonies were founded and populated because Europe was running out of lumber and fur.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
06-11-2015, 06:43 PM
(06-11-2015 06:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 06:12 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  What do you mean? Didn't know no different.

You apparently did not know that "so help me God" was optional. I did. I rejected it. No big deal. Nobody cared.
Now that you mention it I can almost remember wondering if they would flip their shit if I asked not to state the God part. Damn I have the memory of a fish.

Thanks to all for the clarification. Thankfully my memory seems to be getting a little better these days. Weird.
06-11-2015, 06:46 PM
(06-11-2015 06:43 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 06:38 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  So our money didn't always say" in God we trust"?

No, the country was founded because the Articles of Confederation were inadequate. The colonies were founded and populated because Europe was running out of lumber and fur.
Didn't say why. Said on what principals.
06-11-2015, 06:51 PM
(06-11-2015 05:44 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 03:32 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Yes. On their collar there is a symbol to indicate their faith. But you are still suggesting i should deny the chaplain request?

I never suggested anything of the sort, so, no, I am not *still* suggesting it. If the person agreed to such a visit, go right ahead. Not all atheists are as rabid as some of us here.

But for those of us who are rabid, can you understand that going to a "neutral" person for counseling is negated by the pin on his collar? S/He is declaring for the enemy without uttering one word.
I understand that is your opinion but I disagree. The chaplain in my unit is highly respected by everyone primarily because of his genuine interest in the personal well-being of everyone in the unit. He is seen as more of a friend than a religious figure. The Marine in ICU gets along very well with the chaplain despite the religious differences. The Marine requested the chaplain more so as a friend than for religious purposes. That is the type of chaplain I aspire to become.
[+] 2 users Like jason_delisle's post