Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2015, 10:29 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(06-11-2015 12:37 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 12:34 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I don't think you need to be depressed or have a mental illness to make use of a psychologist or psychiatrist.
But anyhow, I understand that many people need counseling (even atheists). I also understand that religious folk have special needs (similar to some troubled kids at school needing a teacher's aid).
Religious folk have guilt and issues regarding their imagined spiritual needs.

As an atheist, if I were in need of counseling, I'd prefer a counselor that doesn't belief in fairies. Otherwise I would be constantly thinking that my counselor has mental problems.
And it would be a theist military chaplain who would ensure you get an atheist therapist. Because you have the right to one. Wink

He has the right to an atheist chaplain. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2015, 10:34 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(06-11-2015 02:28 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Unfortunately I a remote FOB in Afghanistan, a chaplain is the most qualified person you got.

That's unfortunate.Drinking Beverage

06-11-2015, 10:40 PM
(06-11-2015 03:52 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  That was one of the best displays of passive aggressiveness and sarcasm that I have ever seen. Congratulations.

Passive-aggressive behavior is not a good thing. Were you being sarcastic? Consider

06-11-2015, 10:43 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2015 11:05 PM by Chas.)
(06-11-2015 03:57 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  One nation under God. Do you remember that. Pretty sure you took an oath under a similar statement. So yeah you may be subjected to religious views seeing as how you took an oath under such.

"One nation under God" is not in any military oath. Drinking Beverage

06-11-2015, 10:47 PM
(06-11-2015 10:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 03:57 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
One nation under God. Do you remember that. Pretty sure you took an oath under a similar statement. So yeah you may be subjected to religious views seeing as how you took an oath under such.

"One nation under God" is not in any military oath. Drinking Beverage
[/quote]
Yeah at one point I was talking about school and the pledge of allegiance. Do you remember that?
Find all posts by this user
06-11-2015, 10:47 PM
(06-11-2015 04:36 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 04:12 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yeah -- and you and Senator McCarthy (the douchebag who was instrumental in the change of the pledge) can BOTH kiss my heathen ass.....
Dude I was inlisted in 99 was it changed prior to that year? This country was literally founded under God in persute of freedom, liberty and equality. If you don't like those facts them don't join the service. Evidently the oath has been changed to allow for atheists anyway so what's the problem?

No, it wasn't. Read the Constitution and get back to us.

06-11-2015, 10:49 PM
(06-11-2015 04:39 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 04:12 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yeah -- and you and Senator McCarthy (the douchebag who was instrumental in the change of the pledge) can BOTH kiss my heathen ass.....
Pretty sure the pledge of allegiance was prior to McCarthy. Isn't that who you said? Have no clue who that is by the way.

How the fuck can you be pretty sure when you don't even fucking know who McCarty was?

You are a fucking moron.

06-11-2015, 10:50 PM
(06-11-2015 10:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 04:39 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Pretty sure the pledge of allegiance was prior to McCarthy. Isn't that who you said? Have no clue who that is by the way.

How the fuck can you be pretty sure when you don't even fucking know who McCarty was?

You are a fucking moron.
And your a prick.
Find all posts by this user
06-11-2015, 10:54 PM
(06-11-2015 05:22 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  It is my understanding that some of the forefathers were aware of the manipulation of religion even at that time.

"some of the forefathers "? Shocking

Why do you think the Constitution is a secular document? Why do you think there is the wall of separation between church and state? Consider

The United States of America is a secular democratic republic.
It just happens to contain far too many religious fruitcakes like you. Drinking Beverage

06-11-2015, 10:58 PM
(06-11-2015 07:31 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 06:38 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  This country was forged under the general belief in God though. Puritans, Quakers...ring a bell. Thanks for the history lesson for real.

Many of the early settlers were religious but the United States proper was founded as a secular nation. The US constitution defines the framework and it has 3 mentions of god:
1. restricting the government from establishing a religion or preventing people from exercising whatever religion they choose
2. prohibiting any religious test for holding public office
3. the date uses the conventional AD notation
That would not be the case if the founders had wanted to base it on religious belief.

By the way, the puritans came over for "religious freedom" but only in the sense that many US xians use it today -- they didn't like the fact that everybody else didn't agree with their beliefs so they went to the US to get away from other religions. Roger Williams got kicked out because he promoted freedom of religion and ended up found his own colony in Rhode Island as a place where any religion could be practiced and where he could implement church/state separation. He was more of a model for the US founding than the puritans were.

Neither "God" nor "'Jesus" appears anywhere in the Constitution. No