Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2015, 11:00 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(06-11-2015 08:56 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 07:31 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Many of the early settlers were religious but the United States proper was founded as a secular nation. The US constitution defines the framework and it has 3 mentions of god:
1. restricting the government from establishing a religion or preventing people from exercising whatever religion they choose
2. prohibiting any religious test for holding public office
3. the date uses the conventional AD notation
That would not be the case if the founders had wanted to base it on religious belief.

By the way, the puritans came over for "religious freedom" but only in the sense that many US xians use it today -- they didn't like the fact that everybody else didn't agree with their beliefs so they went to the US to get away from other religions. Roger Williams got kicked out because he promoted freedom of religion and ended up found his own colony in Rhode Island as a place where any religion could be practiced and where he could implement church/state separation. He was more of a model for the US founding than the puritans were.
Cool, again useful shit. I agree that government should be kept somewhat separate from religion due to the innumerable level of division of religion. It would be wartime all the time...uhm...never mind. Anyway.

Okay, so the founding fathers were majority of some sort of faith in God, right? They didn't let those things weigh in to the foundation for reasons of peace, equality and freedom, right?

Wrong.
The founders were largely gentlemen of The Enlightenment. There were Christians, deists, and atheists among them.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2015, 11:05 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(06-11-2015 10:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 10:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  You are ignorant.

Grief is a psychological matter. Someone trained in grief counseling is required - not someone with a fucking Master of Divinity. Facepalm
Psychology is a flawed science based on drugs to alter the chemicals in the brain instead of relieving the root problem by addressing and solving it.

That is an ignorant, confused belief. You really need to read some books. Drinking Beverage

06-11-2015, 11:05 PM
(06-11-2015 11:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 08:56 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Cool, again useful shit. I agree that government should be kept somewhat separate from religion due to the innumerable level of division of religion. It would be wartime all the time...uhm...never mind. Anyway.

Okay, so the founding fathers were majority of some sort of faith in God, right? They didn't let those things weigh in to the foundation for reasons of peace, equality and freedom, right?

Wrong.
The founders were largely gentlemen of The Enlightenment. There were Christians, deists, and atheists among them.
Ok so Christians and driests made up the majority. Isn't that what I said? Why are you knit picking? Those qualify as some sort of faith in God. Remember Faith; belief in things that can't be proven by the false enlightenment.
Find all posts by this user
06-11-2015, 11:07 PM
(06-11-2015 11:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 10:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Psychology is a flawed science based on drugs to alter the chemicals in the brain instead of relieving the root problem by addressing and solving it.

That is an ignorant, confused belief. You really need to read some books. Drinking Beverage
Wow your actually starting to annoy me. Strange day.
06-11-2015, 11:07 PM
(06-11-2015 10:50 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 10:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  How the fuck can you be pretty sure when you don't even fucking know who McCarty was?

You are a fucking moron.
And your a prick.

Only to ignorant fucking morons like you. Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-11-2015, 11:08 PM
(06-11-2015 10:21 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Do you think you have the capacity to comfort a Christian? I believe you do so I don't understand why my ability is in question?

Because comforting people with lies is relatively easy. Doing so without lying to people is decidedly harder.

I don't have to believe myself to understand just how comforting the idea of the afterlife is. Indeed the very idea itself probably formed as a sort of coping mechanism. The idea that you will eventually be reunited with loved ones, that even though they are dead they somehow live one and you will see them again. There are all comforting thoughts, but not a single one of them has any basis in reality.

You could not comfort yourself without relying on magical thinking. That does not instill faith that you can rise above it to help comfort others for whom magical thinking is not enough.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
06-11-2015, 11:09 PM
(06-11-2015 10:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  ...
Psychology is a flawed science based on drugs to alter the chemicals in the brain instead of relieving the root problem by addressing and solving it.

Given that you have admitted that you are ignorant on most subjects and have no intention of changing that, why do you think your opinion on this matter matters?

You make an absurd assertion ... do you offer an alternative? Surgery instead of drugs perhaps?

Do you understand the difference between managing symptoms vs. managing diseases?

What if the root cause of a disease / disorder is not yet known (e.g. autism) what would you offer a patient in that position?

Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
06-11-2015, 11:10 PM
(06-11-2015 11:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 10:50 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  And your a prick.

Only to ignorant fucking morons like you. Drinking Beverage
Do you feel better about yourself now...?
06-11-2015, 11:16 PM
(06-11-2015 10:14 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 10:03 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  My point? let's review.

You said, "One nation under God. Do you remember that. Pretty sure you took an oath under a similar statement. So yeah you may be subjected to religious views seeing as how you took an oath under such."

This implies ignorance of history of "one nation under god" and how it became part of the rhetoric. I thought you needed some educational guidance. No need to thank me, it is what I do, educate theists.

Lets continue.

You said, "So our money didn't always say" in God we trust"?

This yet again implies lack of knowledge, so...again, I endeavored to help. I work diligently to counter the misinformation people have been spoonfed by others infected with the disease called faith. I offer the cure...knowledge. Big Grin
Slow down there friendo. I really thank you for the history lesson but I was initially making a point that the founding fathers were of some sort of faith in a God. That is all. Do you deny this statement was made, or the veracity thereof?

History is interesting now, I hated it in school though.
[Image: c1063187a16ac5736996666f3efdc585.jpg]
06-11-2015, 11:17 PM
(06-11-2015 11:09 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 10:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  ...

Given that you have admitted that you are ignorant on most subjects and have no intention of changing that, why do you think your opinion on this matter matters?

You make an absurd assertion ... do you offer an alternative? Surgery instead of drugs perhaps?

Do you understand the difference between managing symptoms vs. managing diseases?

What if the root cause of a disease / disorder is not yet known (e.g. autism) what would you offer a patient in that position?

Dodgy

Ok, I was referring to the more emotional and attention based parts of psychology. No it's not a baseless claim, are you serious?

I'm sorry. I don't know a lot about American history. It's not too relevant to me either or I would study it. Saying that I am ignorant on most subjects is Bs. The only thing I ever talk about is related to God, which you don't believe in. So how in the fuck can I be the ignorant one on a subject that you consider a fucking fairytale?

Just wondering.