Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2015, 05:41 AM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(06-11-2015 08:56 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Okay, so the founding fathers were majority of some sort of faith in God, right? They didn't let those things weigh in to the foundation for reasons of peace, equality and freedom, right?

They were all over the map, religiously speaking. I actually agree with your second sentence... they didn't let their beliefs overcome reason when they set up the new government. They understood how divisive and oppressive religious authority is because they had seen it first hand. Instead they set up a system based on secular values and left religion as a private matter.

(06-11-2015 10:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Psychology is a flawed science based on drugs to alter the chemicals in the brain instead of relieving the root problem by addressing and solving it.

As Jason noted, it is psychiatry that uses drugs but the main problem with your statement is that sometimes the root problem IS a chemical imbalance. Using drugs to restore a more normal brain chemistry can be the best solution. Can it be overdone? Sure. Is it a "flawed science"? Hardly.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
07-11-2015, 07:56 AM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(07-11-2015 02:58 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 03:04 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Ok. I guess you are right. I guess I should tell the atheist Marine of mine who is in the ICU that his request for a chaplain is denied because they are of no use to him.
You're being a bit silly here. If they have requested a religious chaplain, perhaps they are desperate and have no better options available.

I'm suggesting having properly trained people available rather than a religious adviser who doubles as a councilor.

(06-11-2015 03:49 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  A chaplain would have experience in counseling simply from talking to people about their problems.
This isn't really a qualification is it? Any other person "grunt" etc would be equally as capable and possibly even more so (for an atheist) given they are not going to think "bad" things happen because it is part of god's plan. The religious chaplain's real value is his knowledge in religion and ability to cater to those special needs. For the religious people they may see great value in this chaplain.
I am being silly? You and many others are trying to convince me that it is a bad idea for a military chaplain to counsel an atheist. But then when i sarcastically agree to show you how ignorant you are all of a sudden I am silly. I think what is really happened here is that through one specific real life example I disproved your claims and now you are butt hurt and trying to back track. What is the overall end state of your argument? To argue for the sake of arguing?
07-11-2015, 08:32 AM
[qu:consider:uote='popsthebuilder' pid='891824' dateline='1446873011']
(06-11-2015 11:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  Only to ignorant fucking morons like you. Drinking Beverage
Do you feel better about yourself now...?
[/quote]

That's not what it's about. I call you out for your absurd ideas, magical thinking, ignorance, and thickheadedness.

You want to call me an asshole for that? Consider Be my guest - your opinion isn't worth all that much. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-11-2015, 08:42 AM
(07-11-2015 08:32 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 11:10 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 11:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  Only to ignorant fucking morons like you. Drinking Beverage
Do you feel better about yourself now...?

That's not what it's about. I call you out for your absurd ideas, magical thinking, ignorance, and thickheadedness.

You want to call me an asshole for that? Consider Be my guest - your opinion isn't worth all that much. Drinking Beverage

You're supposed to be all nice about it when you call him out. Something something "respect ma authoritay"...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-11-2015, 10:06 AM
(06-11-2015 10:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  He has the right to an atheist chaplain. Drinking Beverage

You think you live in the Netherlands or Belgium? Ain't no atheist or humanist chaplains in the US Military. 'Cause that would be persecution of the Christians.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-11-2015, 10:16 AM
Chas,
You confuse absurdity with inconventionality. You confuse the right path shown through nature and other means under God with magic. You confuse ignorance on a topic with utter stupidity. You confuse strength, reserve, confidence, and perseverance with thick headedness or heedlessness.
07-11-2015, 10:17 AM
(07-11-2015 10:16 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Chas,
You confuse absurdity with inconventionality. You confuse the right path shown through nature and other means under God with magic. You confuse ignorance on a topic with utter stupidity. You confuse strength, reserve, confidence, and perseverance with thick headedness or heedlessness.

What do you actually think ignorance means?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
07-11-2015, 10:17 AM
(07-11-2015 10:06 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 10:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  He has the right to an atheist chaplain. Drinking Beverage

You think you live in the Netherlands or Belgium? Ain't no atheist or humanist chaplains in the US Military. 'Cause that would be persecution of the Christians.

Argh! Faceplam.

They talk about what an atheist Chaplain (oxymoron I think) would say to the grieved or dying as though that person was an asshole.

These congressmen are spouting yet more stereotypes of who and what atheists are and are like.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
07-11-2015, 10:18 AM
(07-11-2015 10:17 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 10:16 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Chas,

What do you actually think ignorance means?
Lack of knowledge of a given subject.
07-11-2015, 10:20 AM
(07-11-2015 10:18 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 10:17 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What do you actually think ignorance means?
Lack of knowledge of a given subject.

Hmm, so then you're saying you're utterly stupid? And he's wrong to call you ignorant because he is confusing it with your utter stupidity?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson