Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2015, 01:59 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(07-11-2015 01:58 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 01:51 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Yes it is. Did my own research and has one of the best programs for military chaplains according to the Department of Defense.

Ranked 639 out of 650 Hobo
Where did you find that. The source I used was from the military. Darn military intelligence!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2015, 02:02 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(07-11-2015 01:58 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 01:51 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Yes it is. Did my own research and has one of the best programs for military chaplains according to the Department of Defense.

Ranked 639 out of 650 Hobo
Wow! I guess I need to look at another school.
07-11-2015, 02:04 PM
(07-11-2015 01:51 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 01:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Isn't that Jerry Falwell's "University". Is it even accredited? Think Fullerene's is from Harvard.
Yes it is. Did my own research and has one of the best programs for military chaplains according to the Department of Defense.

I don't think that helps your case. I'm going with Harvard over DoD.

#sigh
07-11-2015, 02:06 PM
(07-11-2015 01:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 01:27 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Liberty University is where I plan on getting my degree.

Isn't that Jerry Falwell's "University". Is it even accredited? Think Fullerene's is from Harvard.

Yeah man, it's accredited by the "Southern Association of Colleges and Schools", seems legit enough.

Though I will point out that according to Wikipedia, their reach covers all the states considered by us outsiders to be the most rednecky.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
07-11-2015, 02:11 PM
Liberty University? Might as well be accredited by Ronald McDonald.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-11-2015, 02:12 PM
(07-11-2015 01:27 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 12:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Thanks for the info. I had no idea that the syllabus for a masters in divinity could include non-religious courses. Consider

What school are attending or planning to attend?
Liberty University is where I plan on getting my degree. I also plan on taking counseling courses from other schools. Now a masters in divinity doesn't necessarily require the counseling courses however it is required for the chaplain program I am in.

As someone who grew up near Liberty University and had a number of high school friends who went there, I urge you to consider a more mainstream choice for your degree. Everything you are learning here, every bit of your thinking that is expanding, and all of the empathy towards people who don't think the same as you will be considered a deficiency/weakness in your faith there.

As someone who has also come to have respect for you after seeing the way you've handled your interactions here, I would be sad to see what happened to my friends after going there happen to you. (My friends went from funny, charming, accepting Christian people to shut-down, paranoid, angry Bible-thumpers…this transformation was noxious to me and at that time I was still a Christian)
[+] 7 users Like julep's post
07-11-2015, 02:18 PM
(07-11-2015 01:27 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 12:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Thanks for the info. I had no idea that the syllabus for a masters in divinity could include non-religious courses. Consider

What school are attending or planning to attend?
Liberty University is where I plan on getting my degree. I also plan on taking counseling courses from other schools. Now a masters in divinity doesn't necessarily require the counseling courses however it is required for the chaplain program I am in.

Oh. So not a real university? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-11-2015, 02:26 PM
(07-11-2015 01:59 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 01:58 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Ranked 639 out of 650 Hobo
Where did you find that. The source I used was from the military. Darn military intelligence!

Liberty University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia › wiki › Liberty_University
Mobile-friendly - The college received provisional accreditation from the American Osteopathic Association .... In 2015, Forbes' list of America's Top Colleges ranked Liberty University 639 out of 650 rated colleges.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
07-11-2015, 03:03 PM
(07-11-2015 12:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 10:16 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Chas,
You confuse absurdity with inconventionality. You confuse the right path shown through nature and other means under God with magic. You confuse ignorance on a topic with utter stupidity. You confuse strength, reserve, confidence, and perseverance with thick headedness or heedlessness.

Or possibly you are mistaken. Drinking Beverage
I suppose,technically, anything is possible.
07-11-2015, 03:15 PM
(07-11-2015 07:56 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  You and many others are trying to convince me that it is a bad idea for a military chaplain to counsel an atheist.
This is not exactly what I am saying.

I'm saying that a religious chaplain is no more qualified (than any other military person) to counsel an atheist.
An atheist could get that level of counseling from any other of his buddies if all he is after is a sympathetic ear.

Q: So why invest money on a religious chaplain?
A: because their perceived value (and skill set) is with regards to religious matters.
Therefore an atheist (with no religious special needs) does not gain value from a religious chaplain.

If we consider that the religious chaplain is also a person with approximately a "normal" level of people skills, then this person (taking his chaplain hat off) can provide an unqualified support (sympathetic ear) to the person in need of support.

But, as I am trying to point out, anyone else in the camp can provide this level of support too. The religious chaplain provides nothing above that to the atheist.

(07-11-2015 07:56 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  What is the overall end state of your argument? To argue for the sake of arguing?
I'm pointing out that an atheist has no need for spiritual, or religious based morals advice. I'm pointing out that a religious based chaplain is much less equipped than a qualified psychiatrist. I would think that being in a position where you are killing people, your friends are being killed etc, must be very traumatic and that it requires serious consideration with regards to counseling rather than just a task tacked onto the side of a religious chaplain's main tasks.
[+] 3 users Like Stevil's post