Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2015, 04:49 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(07-11-2015 03:15 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 07:56 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  What is the overall end state of your argument? To argue for the sake of arguing?
I'm pointing out that an atheist has no need for spiritual, or religious based morals advice. I'm pointing out that a religious based chaplain is much less equipped than a qualified psychiatrist. I would think that being in a position where you are killing people, your friends are being killed etc, must be very traumatic and that it requires serious consideration with regards to counseling rather than just a task tacked onto the side of a religious chaplain's main tasks.

Stevil - I like your suggestion. You're exactly right; chaplains are not equipped nor qualified to cover all the duties being asked of them, in their service. They are a stopgap measure intended only to handle one particular set of issues in the military (the religious lives of religious soldiers), a role which has been stretched over time until they are wearing a whole lot of hats they may not be prepared or sufficiently trained to wear. Exactly right.

So I'm with you. I recommend you figure out how many "qualified psychiatrists" the DoD would need to take out of regular circulation in the civilian medical world, and entice them (financially?) to join the military in sufficient numbers to make sure they are available to every forward base, every major military facility, and of course to the VA hospitals for traumatic and for long-term care. Figure out the average amount it would take to entice these Medical Doctors with the additional Psychology advanced degree it takes to become a psychiatrist to join the military and replace those chaplains, so the boys all get the care they deserve.

Once you get a plan and the financial aspects together it would take to accomplish all the things you're saying are necessary, I'll help you write it up and we can petition Congress together to have the bill funded.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
07-11-2015, 04:52 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(07-11-2015 04:24 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 03:29 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Just finished meeting with the Marine and his family. They are doing well. The Marine had better days but he will pull through.

I know that whatever was said is in strict confidence but I would be interested to know if anything that has come up in this forum was applicable or not in this case.
It went really well. I just focused on the fact that we are brothers in arms and I got his back. It got very motto. Oorah.
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
07-11-2015, 05:14 PM
(07-11-2015 04:49 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I'll help you write it up and we can petition Congress together to have the bill funded.
I'm not an American though, so I won't be taking anything to congress.
07-11-2015, 05:25 PM
(07-11-2015 04:49 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 03:15 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I'm pointing out that an atheist has no need for spiritual, or religious based morals advice. I'm pointing out that a religious based chaplain is much less equipped than a qualified psychiatrist. I would think that being in a position where you are killing people, your friends are being killed etc, must be very traumatic and that it requires serious consideration with regards to counseling rather than just a task tacked onto the side of a religious chaplain's main tasks.

Stevil - I like your suggestion. You're exactly right; chaplains are not equipped nor qualified to cover all the duties being asked of them, in their service. They are a stopgap measure intended only to handle one particular set of issues in the military (the religious lives of religious soldiers), a role which has been stretched over time until they are wearing a whole lot of hats they may not be prepared or sufficiently trained to wear. Exactly right.

So I'm with you. I recommend you figure out how many "qualified psychiatrists" the DoD would need to take out of regular circulation in the civilian medical world, and entice them (financially?) to join the military in sufficient numbers to make sure they are available to every forward base, every major military facility, and of course to the VA hospitals for traumatic and for long-term care. Figure out the average amount it would take to entice these Medical Doctors with the additional Psychology advanced degree it takes to become a psychiatrist to join the military and replace those chaplains, so the boys all get the care they deserve.

Once you get a plan and the financial aspects together it would take to accomplish all the things you're saying are necessary, I'll help you write it up and we can petition Congress together to have the bill funded.

Maybe the military could sacrifice some of those $5000 hammers and $7000 toilet seats, buy the regular versions, and put the money they save towards qualified counselors. Just a thought.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
07-11-2015, 06:12 PM
(07-11-2015 05:25 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Maybe the military could sacrifice some of those $5000 hammers and $7000 toilet seats, buy the regular versions, and put the money they save towards qualified counselors. Just a thought.

http://www.govexec.com/federal-news/1998...mmer/5271/

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
07-11-2015, 08:16 PM
(07-11-2015 04:25 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 03:55 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Fine, via the laws of noncontradiction. Or better yet, via the laws of the various forms of logic.
My statement was based in what we don't know. The observance of infinity allows for infinite possibility or potential. Maybe that isn't equivalent to anything being possible. But its real close.

Where do you observe infinity? Consider

Be specific. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-11-2015, 08:27 PM
(07-11-2015 08:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 04:25 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  My statement was based in what we don't know. The observance of infinity allows for infinite possibility or potential. Maybe that isn't equivalent to anything being possible. But its real close.

Where do you observe infinity? Consider

On lamb chop's play along.
07-11-2015, 08:31 PM
(07-11-2015 08:27 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 08:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  Where do you observe infinity? Consider

https://youtu.be/0U2zJOryHKQ
07-11-2015, 11:13 PM
(07-11-2015 08:27 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 08:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  Where do you observe infinity? Consider

Black holes, the vast spectrum of existence(not necessarily in size, but contract), ameba, the things we don't know, infinitely small things, the theory of bubble, or parallel universe(don't really believe).

You can look yourself squarely in the eye in a mirror and observe infinity. You can take a picture of it. Just because we can't necessarily perceive it doesn't mean it isn't a reality.
07-11-2015, 11:35 PM
(07-11-2015 11:13 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 08:27 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  On lamb chop's play along.
Black holes, the vast spectrum of existence(not necessarily in size, but contract), ameba, the things we don't know, infinitely small things, the theory of bubble, or parallel universe(don't really believe).

You can look yourself squarely in the eye in a mirror and observe infinity. You can take a picture of it. Just because we can't necessarily perceive it doesn't mean it isn't a reality.

You know that black holes are not directly observable and there is now some debate over whether or not they exist? Hardly a knock-down "Ooo look infinity" there. Any case, *what* precisely, is infinite about a black hole? You can't just throw sciency terms around and hope that no one calls you out on it.

You said you could directly observe infinity, now you retreat to this position of 'well we can't necessarily perceive it so it might still be there'. Weak sauce. Weak, *desperate* sauce. Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post