Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2015, 03:11 PM
Bug RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(08-11-2015 10:11 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(08-11-2015 10:08 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  bwahhhahhhahhaahaa. Well played, sir.

I like pops, but he says some dumb shit. Dodgy

So where were the spiders?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-11-2015, 03:14 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(07-11-2015 11:13 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Black holes, the vast spectrum of existence(not necessarily in size, but contract), ameba, the things we don't know, infinitely small things, the theory of bubble, or parallel universe(don't really believe).

You can look yourself squarely in the eye in a mirror and observe infinity. You can take a picture of it. Just because we can't necessarily perceive it doesn't mean it isn't a reality.

As perfect an illustration of what Daniel Dennett refers to as a "deepity" as one could ever hope to find. Significant sounding blabber that means absolutely nothing upon even cursory examination. Well done.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
[+] 4 users Like TheMrBillShow's post
08-11-2015, 03:35 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 03:42 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(08-11-2015 03:14 PM)TheMrBillShow Wrote:  As perfect an illustration of what Daniel Dennett refers to as a "deepity" as one could ever hope to find.

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah

Everything is satistfactual.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
[Image: e18f70bdf1edb665a95d5f899cb06538.jpg]
08-11-2015, 09:46 PM
So yeah, the Bible actually describes the Earth through its evolution or change quite well in my opinion.
08-11-2015, 09:56 PM
(08-11-2015 09:46 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  So yeah, the Bible actually describes the Earth through its evolution or change quite well in my opinion.

Interesting...

Perhaps you can direct me to the chapters discussing the formation of the Earth from collection of it's protoplanetary disk and progression to a molten gas blob to a geologically active planet? Does it cover continental drift and the super-continents as well?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
08-11-2015, 10:00 PM
(08-11-2015 09:56 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(08-11-2015 09:46 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  So yeah, the Bible actually describes the Earth through its evolution or change quite well in my opinion.

Interesting...

Perhaps you can direct me to the chapters discussing the formation of the Earth from collection of it's protoplanetary disk and progression to a molten gas blob to a geologically active planet? Does it cover continental drift and the super-continents as well?

I got this one:
[Image: bfBKuc3.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
08-11-2015, 10:28 PM
(08-11-2015 09:56 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  

Interesting...

Now the earth was unformed and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of God hovered over the face of the waters.

And God said: ‘Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.’

And God said: ‘Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear.’ And it was so.

And God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters called He Seas; and God saw that it was good.

That describes everything from the formation of matter, to the collection of matter, to the formation of one ocean then land them the formation of separate seas.
08-11-2015, 11:09 PM
(08-11-2015 10:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(08-11-2015 09:56 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Interesting...

Now the earth was unformed and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of God hovered over the face of the waters.

And God said: ‘Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.’

And God said: ‘Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear.’ And it was so.

And God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters called He Seas; and God saw that it was good.

That describes everything from the formation of matter, to the collection of matter, to the formation of one ocean then land them the formation of separate seas.

Laugh out load Hahahaha! Big Grin

UM.. no....
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
08-11-2015, 11:10 PM
Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(08-11-2015 10:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Now the earth was unformed and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of God hovered over the face of the waters.

Hopi creation story:

http://www.gly.uga.edu/railsback/CS/CSFo...tions.html

Creation myth from Chinese mythology:

http://www.gly.uga.edu/railsback/CS/CSPG&NW.html

Upanishad creation myth:

http://www.gly.uga.edu/railsback/CS/CSSelf.html

Norse creation myth:

http://www.gly.uga.edu/railsback/CS/CSOdin&Ymir.html

There are, of course, multitudes and multitudes others. Why is yours so special? Favoritism? The one you happen to believe in?

The two things every creation story has in common? They carry zero explanatory weight and are completely unfalsifiable. They're fun reads and are great testaments to human imagination, but anybody who takes them as being even remotely informative is being extremely foolish.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
[+] 4 users Like TheMrBillShow's post