Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2015, 11:20 PM
RE: Bibal Cosmos Bullshit
(08-11-2015 10:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Stuff

Oh boy... This is going to be fun.

(08-11-2015 10:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Now the earth was unformed and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of God hovered over the face of the waters.

The Earth prior to being the Earth was not a void; it was an accretion disk around the sun known as a protoplanetary disk. An accretion disk is a disk orbiting around a body, comprised of gasses and scattered matter gathered by the mass of the object it orbits, which overtime coalesce (accretes) into orbiting bodies such as moons and planets. Of course, prior to that it could be argued to have been a void if you use the term with all the elasticity of Mr. Fantastic, and (appropriately enough) ignore physics.

Furthermore, there was no waters to be deep, and most certainly not for the spirit of god to all Harrier jet on.

Also; if there was water, how was there a void?

Also, also; where'd the water come from?

(08-11-2015 10:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  And God said: ‘Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.’

Again; no waters. Also no firmament. If there was a giant glass dome over the Earth, I get the feeling we'd have figured that out by now, given our current capacity to know the very elements produced by long-dead stars for further away in space and time than the mind can comprehend in it's own scale.

Also, why bother diving the water?

(08-11-2015 10:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  And God said: ‘Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear.’ And it was so.

Sooo... God divided all the water with the firmament (still missing), only to gather all the water? We've also yet to find a 'heaven' up there. Given all the time we spend looking outward, one would think we might have found something.

Also, way to violate physics with the sudden appearance of 'dry land'. Okay, I know we're discussing magic here, but honestly now.

(08-11-2015 10:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  And God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters called He Seas; and God saw that it was good.

Why does god have to gathering the water once he has already gathered it?

(08-11-2015 10:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  That describes everything from the formation of matter, to the collection of matter, to the formation of one ocean then land them the formation of separate seas.

No it doesn't. It doesn't remotely discuss anything you just listed.

Where does it discuss the formation of matter from the fundamental particles; why does it not mention the formation of elements, the basis of matter in the stars? Where does it discuss the function of gravity in matter-collation? Where does it explain anything to do with the water at all: It just exists without it being created, gets divided, gathered, gathered again and divided into the seas; and just so I don't have to return to the waters again; the seas are arbitrary; there isn't some magical barrier stopping the Pacific and Atlantic from merging. It'd really screw with shipping lanes. And whales. It also doesn't discuss land; it just says it appeared; where is the plate tectonics I ask of you!? Where is the discussing of strata?

Honestly sir, do you expect anybody to accept that as an answer? It answered nothing of my queries. You stated:
Quote:So yeah, the Bible actually describes the Earth through its evolution or change quite well in my opinion.
Is this mere boast, or do you intend to give substantive justification for your posturing?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Free Thought's post
09-11-2015, 05:56 AM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(08-11-2015 11:20 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
Quote:So yeah, the Bible actually describes the Earth through its evolution or change quite well in my opinion.
Is this mere boast, or do you intend to give substantive justification for your posturing?

$20 says he doesn't, but he's still stupid enough to claim he did. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
09-11-2015, 06:02 AM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(08-11-2015 10:04 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-11-2015 06:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  Please provide an example of an infinitely small thing.

A point. Like by definition and shit. Tongue

Points don't exist except as concepts. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-11-2015, 06:04 AM
(08-11-2015 10:11 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(08-11-2015 10:08 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  bwahhhahhhahhaahaa. Well played, sir.

I like pops, but he says some dumb shit. Dodgy

I don't like pops because all he says is dumb shit. Drinking Beverage

[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
09-11-2015, 06:06 AM
(08-11-2015 09:46 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  So yeah, the Bible actually describes the Earth through its evolution or change quite well in my opinion.

That clearly demonstrates your utter ignorance of the history of the earth. Drinking Beverage

09-11-2015, 06:27 AM
(09-11-2015 06:06 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-11-2015 09:46 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  So yeah, the Bible actually describes the Earth through its evolution or change quite well in my opinion.

That clearly demonstrates your utter ignorance of the history of the earth. Drinking Beverage

I dunno what his spine is made of 'cos I don't think I've ever seen a guy with his head shoved so far up his ass and still able to talk.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
09-11-2015, 06:53 AM
(01-11-2015 03:55 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I think the only thing that makes me an angry atheist is when someone asserts that their inside knowledge about God is so magical and special that I can only "get it" it if I want to believe it.

Hell, I could believe in leprechauns if I "wanted to" badly enough. This line of defense is really only good for shielding one's beliefs from scrutiny.

Of course, the sword cuts both ways. A lot of why I stopped believing is because it stopped making sense to me. Once it didn't make sense long enough, I stopped wanting to believe.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
09-11-2015, 07:00 AM
(08-11-2015 10:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  That describes everything from the formation of matter, to the collection of matter, to the formation of one ocean then land them the formation of separate seas.

Too bad it got the order of all the events wrong, explicitly stated it happening on a time-line of days rather than billions of years, and strongly implied Pangaea separated within the last 5,000 years.

Your cherry picking is obvious. Your reasoning, ad hoc.
09-11-2015, 08:32 AM
(09-11-2015 06:27 AM)morondog Wrote:  I dunno what his spine is made of 'cos I don't think I've ever seen a guy with his head shoved so far up his ass and still able to talk.

[Image: 100-Slinky-Image.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
09-11-2015, 10:55 AM
(09-11-2015 07:00 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

Too bad it got the order of all the events wrong, explicitly stated it happening on a time-line of days rather than billions of years, and strongly implied Pangaea separated within the last 5,000 years.

Your cherry picking is obvious. Your reasoning, ad hoc.
Let me explain something to you that you apparently haven't grasped up until this point. Days represent eons or billions of years in the beginning of the text.