Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2015, 12:59 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(02-11-2015 12:54 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I honestly don't have any issues with Mormons. I honestly respect their family values. Regardless of your beliefs, I think a lot of good can come from looking at the traditional Mormon family values as something to emulate.

Oh I agree, my parents (Dad and stepmom) are Mormons, and as a working religion it has a lot of fantastic values. It is when you get into the religious basis that it gets humorous. My other parents (mom and stepdad) are Pentecostal preachers......yeah.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2015, 01:13 PM
RE: Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
(02-11-2015 12:54 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I honestly don't have any issues with Mormons. I honestly respect their family values. Regardless of your beliefs, I think a lot of good can come from looking at the traditional Mormon family values as something to emulate.
Elizabeth Smart might disagree with you about some of these traditional values. Mormon purity culture contributed greatly to her responses when she was abducted as a girl.

If by "family values" you mean something like raising kids in a loving, stable environment where they learn to develop skills and self control and to empathize with other humans, what is particularly Mormon about that?
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
02-11-2015, 01:27 PM
How can people still believe the earth is flat?
02-11-2015, 01:36 PM
Bible's view of the cosmos: flat earth, moving sun. People actually buy into this?
Mormons are fine. Their book, however....
02-11-2015, 01:37 PM
(01-11-2015 03:45 PM)Alla Wrote:  There is no claim in Genesis that God created light.

"And God said let there be light, and there was light."

This is a direct quote from the King James Bible. Sure sounds like God creating light. It's the same formula as the rest of the creation. If he didn't create light, he didn't create anything.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
02-11-2015, 01:53 PM
(02-11-2015 01:13 PM)julep Wrote:  
Elizabeth Smart might disagree with you about some of these traditional values. Mormon purity culture contributed greatly to her responses when she was abducted as a girl.

If by "family values" you mean something like raising kids in a loving, stable environment where they learn to develop skills and self control and to empathize with other humans, what is particularly Mormon about that?
I agree that there are those exceptions. But as a whole, you look at a traditional Mormon family they are more likely to have a stronger and healthier relationships with each other. Why are Mormons stereotyped as having a very close knit family? I think a lot of it comes from their emphasize on quality family time. I think they reserve Sunday as a day where they only do things as a family. No video games, no going out with friends, no television. They spend Sundays actually doing things as a family. Things like board games, bible study, or just sitting around in the living room talking. Now I understand that this is not something that is restricted solely to Mormons but it shows how important and valuable quality time is to maintain a strong healthy family and it is something that more families would benefit from no mater what their religion is.
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
02-11-2015, 02:24 PM
As a Christian it frustrates me when people (including other Christians ) claim that the bible teaches that the earth is flat. In Isaiah 40:22 it states the earth is round and circular. The original hebrew did not have a word for sphere. They just simply called anything that was round (plates, balls, disks, orbs, ect.) to be circular. Some may argue that the bible was ahead of its time. Before Columbus went on his voyage many scientists saw the bible as flawed because it did say the earth was round. But then again I am no historian.
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
02-11-2015, 02:41 PM
(02-11-2015 12:12 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(01-11-2015 03:36 PM)Alla Wrote:  Sure, I can answer them.
These are great questions. But there is one problem. People who ask them don't want to know the answers.
Alla, if you don't mind me asking, if you don't want to answer questions then why are you on this forum? What do you hope to accomplish by being here? Why would you assume that the people in this community are not worth having an answer because you assume nobody cares about your answers.
Usually I answer many questions. But sometimes I don't.
All people on this forum ask questions for wrong reasons. They don't need answers, they don't care about answers.
If I answer questions it is not because I want that particular person who asks me to know the answers but because I feel like to put some particular information.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
02-11-2015, 02:45 PM
(02-11-2015 02:41 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(02-11-2015 12:12 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Alla, if you don't mind me asking, if you don't want to answer questions then why are you on this forum? What do you hope to accomplish by being here? Why would you assume that the people in this community are not worth having an answer because you assume nobody cares about your answers.
Usually I answer many questions. But sometimes I don't.
All people on this forum ask questions for wrong reasons. They don't need answers, they don't care about answers.
If I answer questions it is not because I want that particular person who asks me to know the answers but because I feel like to put some particular information.
So why exactly are you on this forum? Not trying to seem rude. I assume you are welcomed here by everyone. Just curious.
02-11-2015, 02:47 PM
(02-11-2015 12:26 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Alla, are you a Christian? What denomination are you?
I see you already have the answer.
(02-11-2015 12:26 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Why do you believe that "we are all gods"? Do you not understand that Psalm 82 is saying that God is above all other gods and that the word "gods" had quotations? This is ironic because you claim that we are all gods by using a scripture that is intended to rebuke anyone or anything that claims to be a god.
There is a difference between gods and Gods. We are gods but we have potential to become Gods like our Heavenly Father. This is why we left our father and came here: to obtain physical bodies and to have all necessary experiences to become like Gods. Like our Heavenly father.
P.S. I disagree with your understanding of Psalm 82. I agree with teachings of true prophets of God and with Spirit.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED