Bible vs Aesop's Fables

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Bible vs Aesop's Fables
So I was discussing morality stories with someone and to refresh my memory I looked through Aesop's Fables. Ya know, those stories are pretty decent. Their fairly short, better written than the Bible and to the point. There's no world genocide, no rape, no baby bashing, no sin guilt trip shit and most of them can be applied to today's world.

You don't need to sit in some church and listen to some nitwit treat you like sheep and drone on about a bunch of crap. Best of all an Aesop Fable can be condensed down to one sentence. Here's a few. Enjoy.

A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.
A bribe in the hand shows mischief in the heart.
A false tale often betrays itself.
A fine appearance is a poor substitute for inward worth.
A humble life with peace and quiet is better than a splendid one with danger and risk.
A man is known by the company he keeps.
A villain may disguise himself, but he will not deceive the wise.
A willful man will have his way to his own hurt.
A word in season is most precious.

Better a certain enemy than a doubtful friend.
Better poverty without care, than riches with.
Beware of flatterers.
Beware of hypocrites.
Beware of the counsel of the unfortunate.
Birds of a feather flock together.

Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
09-06-2015, 01:24 PM
RE: Bible vs Aesop's Fables
And you ain't gotta give Aesop 10% of your income.
[+] 6 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
09-06-2015, 01:53 PM
And Aesop never diddled the choir boys....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
09-06-2015, 02:13 PM
I guess I got my morality watching Bullwinkle as a kid. Big Grin

[Image: hqdefault_zpsrntfwk3r.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
09-06-2015, 03:09 PM
(09-06-2015 01:53 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And Aesop never diddled the choir boys....

Aesop's morality stories were around for centuries before Jesus showed up on the scene (if he actually did show up) and reading them made me wonder if some of christianity was influenced by them. Except christians had to have the sin cloud hanging over everything.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
09-06-2015, 03:50 PM
(09-06-2015 12:48 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So I was discussing morality stories with someone and to refresh my memory I looked through Aesop's Fables. Ya know, those stories are pretty decent. Their fairly short, better written than the Bible and to the point. There's no world genocide, no rape, no baby bashing, no sin guilt trip shit and most of them can be applied to today's world.

You don't need to sit in some church and listen to some nitwit treat you like sheep and drone on about a bunch of crap. Best of all an Aesop Fable can be condensed down to one sentence. Here's a few. Enjoy.

A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.
A bribe in the hand shows mischief in the heart.
A false tale often betrays itself.
A fine appearance is a poor substitute for inward worth.
A humble life with peace and quiet is better than a splendid one with danger and risk.
A man is known by the company he keeps.
A villain may disguise himself, but he will not deceive the wise.
A willful man will have his way to his own hurt.
A word in season is most precious.

Better a certain enemy than a doubtful friend.
Better poverty without care, than riches with.
Beware of flatterers.
Beware of hypocrites.
Beware of the counsel of the unfortunate.
Birds of a feather flock together.

Thumbsup

How about Br'er Jesus? Has a nice ring to it.

Archi

"I love the term magic realism. It's about expanding how you see the world. I think we live in an age where we're just hammered to think this is what the world is. Everything's saying 'That's the world.' And it's not the world. The world is a million possible things." - TG

Salman Rushdie talks to Terry Gilliam
09-06-2015, 08:17 PM
(09-06-2015 12:48 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  ... A humble life with peace and quiet is better than a splendid one with danger and risk ...

Aesop gets it right much of the time but one size does not fit all. I take the splendid risky life, thank you, and don't get bored. Quietly reading about an adventure might be enough for some people (or watching a movie) but there's no substitute for being at the center of the real thing, preferably in command rather than just along for the ride, the outcomes and richness of experience the product of your own skill.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
10-06-2015, 01:42 AM
(09-06-2015 08:17 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 12:48 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  ... A humble life with peace and quiet is better than a splendid one with danger and risk ...

Aesop gets it right much of the time but one size does not fit all. I take the splendid risky life, thank you, and don't get bored. Quietly reading about an adventure might be enough for some people (or watching a movie) but there's no substitute for being at the center of the real thing, preferably in command rather than just along for the ride, the outcomes and richness of experience the product of your own skill.

Let us not forget that we're talking about 2500 years back. And that is if he actually existed.
Remember that a risky life back then would entail certain death. It wasn't like you could bring your special gear and guns and take safety precautions when climbing that mountain.
But yeah, I get it why it wouldn't be that relevant today.

As for Christianity being influenced by Ancient Greek morals, have you heard about the Delphic maxims? They were wisdom aphorisms supposedly given by the Oracle of Delphi, and some of them sound suspiciously similar to the ten commandments and/or Jesus-y:

Follow God
Obey the Law
Worship the Gods
Respect your parents
Find fault with no one
Shun what belongs to others
Give what you have
Shun murder
Rule your wife
Repent of sins

Yet, among others, you can find some worthy of praise that were unsurprisngly omitted from Christian teachings:

Be yourself
Know yourself
Help your friends
Love friendship
Long for wisdom
Be impartial
Nothing to excess
Be happy with what you have
Do not tire of learning
On reaching the end be without sorrow

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
10-06-2015, 07:05 AM
Religion, and not just Christianity, but all religions, and say fiction like Harry Potter or Star Wars, is that Harry Potter is rightfully accepted as the fiction it is.

Religion is simply fiction with political power.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-06-2015, 07:30 AM
(09-06-2015 01:24 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  And you ain't gotta give Aesop 10% of your income.

Although I am sure Aesop would have accepted the tithe.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac