Bibles handed out at school

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2016, 09:20 PM
Bibles handed out at school
I need some help. My son received a bible from a guy while waiting to go home from school yesterday. My son was standing where he always does waiting for the school bus when a man walked up to the group of kids and started handing out mini bibles. I called the school and was informed that the church knew its rights on this subject and that where the kids wait is considered city property. It sounds like the busses pull up to a city sidewalk to get the kids. I questioned the woman I was speaking to at the school and asked how they knew the church was within their rights. She asked a retired police security guard that was sitting next to her and he did not know either. I asked if there were adults school monitors that stood out there while the kids waited and she said yes. In October a man was handing trump flyers to the kids as they got onto the bus. This turned Into a bunch of 11 - 13 year olds chanting trump trump trump loudly on the bus which made my son uncomfortable. I was told that the security officer said they can be on school property but there is nothing saying how close to school they can be.

The fact that there are school monitors on bus Duty that allow people to just walk up to young children and hand things to them and allowing strangers to get that close to my child and all the other children and hand them things without knowing what they are is alarming to say the least. There have been times at other schools where I have stood near the playground in the distance watching my son playing and people that work there walk across the field to ask me who I was and why I was there.

This school seems to let anyone walk right up to our children and do as they please. The school is called West middle school in Old Colorado City. I was wondering if you or anyone in your community could contact me if they have any information regarding this or would like to help me on what to do and how to protect our children and keep these bibles from being forced upon them . My son is shy and just accepted the bible from the man. Of course being an Atheist this was quite upsetting to hear and as a parent I'm concerned for the safety of the kids when any stranger is allowed to walk up to students unchallenged.

The woman I spoke to at the school stated that other parents have also called to complain. I would like to find out what the law is, what church was doing it, and what other situations like this have occurred at the school. Maybe someone in your community have kids that go there or know of prior similar situations that were allowed to happen.

I work in the ARMY and just moved back from Korea, so I'm not too familiar with the area, school or the school's past. Any help or pointing me In the right direction would be appreciated. Do you have any contacts at any National Atheist Organizations?

PS , I feel if it were Korans being handed out to children it would be stopped or on CNN by now. I am pretty sure if a guy in a white hood stood in front of the busses handing out KKK flyers it would be stopped IMMEDIATLEY, or at least I would hope so. Although technically they would have the same rights as the church on city property if what they are saying is true. The fact that the security officer didn't actually know the details or has resigned to the fact they can do it and he can't stop them just gives these people carte blanche to our kids. If they have the right to hand stuff out the faculty technically has the same right to occupy the same physical city space and use their 1st amendment right to use free speech and peacfully tell them to go away and physically block their path if need be. As long as it is peaceful and no bodily assault takes place. Am I incorrect?

I have requested a call back from the vice principal on Monday to start, but again would appreciate any help.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Nobdybeatsthehmr's post
02-12-2016, 09:34 PM
RE: Bibles handed out at school
Welcome.
You could try contacting the Freedom From Religion Foundation.
They might be able to help.
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post
02-12-2016, 09:49 PM
Hi Nobdy, welcome to the forum.

Sounds like the type of shitty situation that zealots like to create, tip-toeing as close to the edge of the law as they can, often waltzing over. FFRF would be a good start. You might consider the ACLU as well.

While what they are doing may be technically legal it's definitiely wrong. The laws states that a school is supposed to be a safe location free of political or religious pressure. Strangers should definitely not be allowed to approach children for any reason. The State or city needs to either move the location for boarding the bus or implement some form of child-safe zone. Preaching to kids at school is not a First Amendment Right.

And if it were a Muslim handing out Qu'rans that way they would likely be dead by now.

BTW, you might want to edit your post and remove the name of the school. This is a public forum that anybody can read and you may well be dealing with crazies.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
02-12-2016, 09:53 PM
I'd contact the local police, while only talking about the approach aspect, leaving the bible out, for the time being. If anyone could approach my kids like that, I'd be pretty pissed. Handing out bibles doesn't excuse approaching children like that (maybe even especially that).
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
02-12-2016, 11:40 PM
Why not contact the authorities and let them know that someone is handing out Middle-East propaganda to children?

If pressed, you can say that it's a document that supports ISIS-like ethics e.g. pro-ownership of women, pro-genocide, pro-abortion etc.

Angel

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
03-12-2016, 12:04 AM
Objectionable, yes. Illegal, no.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
03-12-2016, 12:17 AM
The school seems to be playing silly buggers. School employees standing idly by while people they don't know are handing out propaganda to kids entrusted to them - that's bad. Pretty sure there's a case against the school there, especially if you can get other parents on board.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
03-12-2016, 12:20 AM
Another alternative, since the church have shown you the way Smile Print out flyers with some anti-religion message, and stand at *exactly* the same spot as the church people and hand them out. Or stickers with "Warning bullshit inside" or something, for the kids to put on their Bibles as a safety feature.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
03-12-2016, 12:35 AM
(02-12-2016 09:20 PM)Nobdybeatsthehmr Wrote:  I need some help. My son received a bible from a guy while waiting to go home from school yesterday. My son was standing where he always does waiting for the school bus when a man walked up to the group of kids and started handing out mini bibles. I called the school and was informed that the church knew its rights on this subject and that where the kids wait is considered city property.

Welcome.

Nothing about that activity sounds concerning to me. Handing out mini Gideons bibles certainly should be within their rights. If you're not happy you should go to the church office and talk to them about it - but honestly it wouldn't at all bother me.

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-12-2016, 06:15 AM
Firstly, as an atheist parent, I'd find this practice both extremely offensive, and an imposition on my kid's civil liberties (as a minor).

That an unknown adult can encroach upon my kid's personal space, without my sanction, and physically hand him/her any type of object is cause for alarm. Unfortunately, any young child will often respond indiscriminately to the advances of an (apparently) authoritative adult figure—without any due diligence.

If it was me as a parent, I would've reported this to the police ASAP, with my concerns that this adult male was soliciting, or loitering with intent near school children in a public place. At least then the police would have to turn up at the scene to investigate your claim, and hopefully issue a warning to the god-botherers to cease and desist.

If this happened in Australia, the jesus-freaks would probably get their lights punched out LOL.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post