Bibles handed out at school

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2016, 07:39 AM
RE: Bibles handed out at school
They should not be letting adults approach children at the bus stop. I don't know what the law is in your state, but in my state (Massachusetts) in order to work with school-age children even on a volunteer basis, you have to get a criminal background check. I think you have a good case that could be made that it's not the literature, it's that unvetted adults are being allowed contact with kids, with unclear intentions. That's a good way to attack the practice without attacking the literature, IMO.

If the school doesn't do anything and the FFRF folks aren't able to help, you might also consider contacting the Church of Satan, which has effectively countered movements like these by showing up at the same places with Satanist literature.

At any rate, it's also good to let your child know that they can say "No, thanks," to anyone trying to hand them something, and that "No, thanks" does not have to be followed by a reason for declining to take the material; if pressed, they can tell the person to leave them alone. Shout it or scream it, if necessary.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like julep's post
03-12-2016, 08:37 AM
What's the difference between a guy handing out bibles, trying to lure kids into religiion ---

and a guy trying to lure the kids into the back of a windowless van with candy?????

Not much....

There's probably an ass fucking in store for both kids......

Sad

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
03-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Couple of things.

Firstly, perhaps I am too much of a cynic but I wouldn't expect much from my kids' schools when it comes to protecting them in a situation like this. I have signed too many school permission forms over the years with some form of "I will not hold the school responsible for..." , or " I assume all liability for my child ..."
I would ask only that the school approach anyone talking to the kids at the stop and determine what their intentions are (make sure they are not trying to do something illegal), I would also have them inform the kids that they have no obligation to interact with anyone they don't want to.

Secondly, children of the age from 11-16 are in a very important time of transition from children to adult and as a parent if feel it is my duty to make sure that they learn how to think for themselves, that is the best (and really only) way they can truly be safe. Teaching them to count on the protection of others will not help them in the long run.

In 1979 I was in grade 3 in a government funded public school, we started each day with the lord's prayer and I (along with all the other kids in the class) was given a Gideon's new testament, I was told to write my name & grade in it. I still have it, I didn't read it until I was about 12ish. It didn't even take me to the end of Genesis to realize it was a load of horseshit, because my parents had taught me to think and question things for myself.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
03-12-2016, 12:25 PM
Explain to your son, that there is an uncaused existence. That an uncaused existence needs no God. On the premise that there is no God, it really does not make any difference. Believing in what does not exist does no make the not existing to exist.

Read it with him. And ask him questions about what was read. Tell him what you understand. Show him there not being any God, it really does not matter except to those desperate for hope. For them even a false hope is better than no hope.

“I'd far rather be happy than right any day.” -- Douglas Adams -- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
03-12-2016, 02:08 PM
Next time the religious nuts come around someone should hand them little books on evolution.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
03-12-2016, 02:18 PM
(03-12-2016 07:39 AM)julep Wrote:  They should not be letting adults approach children at the bus stop. I don't know what the law is in your state, but in my state (Massachusetts) in order to work with school-age children even on a volunteer basis, you have to get a criminal background check. I think you have a good case that could be made that it's not the literature, it's that unvetted adults are being allowed contact with kids, with unclear intentions. That's a good way to attack the practice without attacking the literature, IMO.

If the school doesn't do anything and the FFRF folks aren't able to help, you might also consider contacting the Church of Satan, which has effectively countered movements like these by showing up at the same places with Satanist literature.

At any rate, it's also good to let your child know that they can say "No, thanks," to anyone trying to hand them something, and that "No, thanks" does not have to be followed by a reason for declining to take the material; if pressed, they can tell the person to leave them alone. Shout it or scream it, if necessary.

The difference is public verses school property.

If they're standing on public property they can hand out whatever they choose. They hand out bibles here too. They stand at the entrances to the parking lots...

But they can't come onto school property.

As I'm thinking about this, maybe the school district can move where the busses pick up and drop off kids? Or the city can rezone the existing area as school property.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-12-2016, 05:28 PM
(03-12-2016 06:15 AM)SYZ Wrote:  That an unknown adult can encroach upon my kid's personal space, without my sanction, and physically hand him/her any type of object is cause for alarm. Unfortunately, any young child will often respond indiscriminately to the advances of an (apparently) authoritative adult figure—without any due diligence.

If you want to be that paranoid then pick your kids up from school. This level of distrust and paranoia is not healthy - a child is far more likely to be harmed or abducted by a friend or relative than by a stranger. Strangers are almost always not dangerous.

But let me ask you this - do you have one of these?

[Image: wwvp.jpg]

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-12-2016, 06:34 PM
They're right...it's not illegal. But I think the OP has it right in his original post...just doesn't realize what he said.

Go hand out copies of the Qur'an at the same spot. Tell them that Allah sees all, judges all, but is merciful.

I'm not joking.

They'll clamp down on it in seconds. Either they stop with their religious nonsense or they'll be stupid and give you an actionable claim by allowing theirs and disallowing yours.

The fact of your atheism is not legally relevant. You are simply informing children in public of the tenets of a faith and offering copies of its holy book, as they are. Whether or not you adhere is legal irrelevance in the public sphere.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
03-12-2016, 06:40 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2016 06:59 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
If you really want to piss some people off, wear a "DON'T WORRY, THERE PROBABLY IS NO GOD" teeshirt while you do it. Then if the kids ask why you're handing out Qur'ans if you're not Muslim, just wink and reply,

"I am. This is a trophy from an atheist I slaughtered in the name of Allah. God says it is very important to hurt nonbelievers!"

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
03-12-2016, 06:44 PM
(03-12-2016 05:28 PM)Aractus Wrote:  
(03-12-2016 06:15 AM)SYZ Wrote:  That an unknown adult can encroach upon my kid's personal space, without my sanction, and physically hand him/her any type of object is cause for alarm. Unfortunately, any young child will often respond indiscriminately to the advances of an (apparently) authoritative adult figure—without any due diligence.

If you want to be that paranoid then pick your kids up from school. This level of distrust and paranoia is not healthy - a child is far more likely to be harmed or abducted by a friend or relative than by a stranger. Strangers are almost always not dangerous.

Strangers in general yes.

Strangers that are actively approaching children no. Would you feel better if they were handing out candy rather than Bibles? Candy will only rot your teeth.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post