Biblical Atrocities explained

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Biblical Atrocities explained
In seminary (hard core academic reformed), we took a view of the bible, not as a guide to live by, but simply as divine revelation that supposedly grows organically, ever more revealing as "salvation history" advanced along the timeline leading up to New Testament times. The main goal of the bible was to help the believer realize a union with Christ (over-simplification). the point is that we did not preach in an exemplar fashion; e.g. "Be like David, slay the giants in your life".

Anyway, we were taught to observe whenever Israel was instructed to annihilate their enemies, including women, children, livestock etc., it was when those "enemies" were occupying the "promised land". In other cases, they were instructed to sue for peace. I cannot speak to how definitive this theory holds (I did not do a check), but the biblical theology of this pattern was explained as "typical".

The thinking is that the "promised land" was a "type" (metaphor) for heaven, free from "enemies"; the annihilation a type of damnation (hell).

So basically, biblical theology (as defined by Geehardus Vos) is the study of the organic, ever-revealing word of god. In this case, creating people that he knows he is going to send to hell isn't good enough. He needed to hone his skills of slaughter and mayhem via the "chosen people" on earth before the REALIZATION of the metaphor: the final judgement day where everyone gets tossed into the lake of fire.

My main takeaway from seminary is that the christian god is hell-bent on sending people to hell. Everybody goes to hell, probably believers too Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2013, 09:44 PM
RE: Biblical Atrocities explained
(10-07-2013 09:38 PM)comet Wrote:  In seminary (hard core academic reformed), we took a view of the bible, not as a guide to live by, but simply as divine revelation that supposedly grows organically, ever more revealing as "salvation history" advanced along the timeline leading up to New Testament times. The main goal of the bible was to help the believer realize a union with Christ (over-simplification). the point is that we did not preach in an exemplar fashion; e.g. "Be like David, slay the giants in your life".

Anyway, we were taught to observe whenever Israel was instructed to annihilate their enemies, including women, children, livestock etc., it was when those "enemies" were occupying the "promised land". In other cases, they were instructed to sue for peace. I cannot speak to how definitive this theory holds (I did not do a check), but the biblical theology of this pattern was explained as "typical".

The thinking is that the "promised land" was a "type" (metaphor) for heaven, free from "enemies"; the annihilation a type of damnation (hell).

So basically, biblical theology (as defined by Geehardus Vos) is the study of the organic, ever-revealing word of god. In this case, creating people that he knows he is going to send to hell isn't good enough. He needed to hone his skills of slaughter and mayhem via the "chosen people" on earth before the REALIZATION of the metaphor: the final judgement day where everyone gets tossed into the lake of fire.

My main takeaway from seminary is that the christian god is hell-bent on sending people to hell. Everybody goes to hell, probably believers too Tongue

[Image: tumblr_m6ou6dpqxz1rvync9o3_500.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
10-07-2013, 11:47 PM
OK, thought provoking image. I suspect that it is supposed to be funny. I also suspect that it is not all that complimentary, hard to read.

You are suggesting that theists have to go through all sorts of contortions to make sense of their beliefs.

The person in red is represents "pulling your head out of your ass".

You think guys who go to seminary are assholes and don't deserve a dignified answer.

You just enjoy fucking with people.
11-07-2013, 12:32 AM
(10-07-2013 11:47 PM)comet Wrote:  OK, thought provoking image. I suspect that it is supposed to be funny. I also suspect that it is not all that complimentary, hard to read.

You are suggesting that theists have to go through all sorts of contortions to make sense of their beliefs.

You think guys who go to seminary are assholes and don't deserve a dignified answer.

I wouldn't take it seriously. It's kinda funny. At least I thought it was.

Anyway... most of us don't really put any weight on "seminars" or "classes" on the bible. It holds as much weight on that stuff as a seminar or class on the qu'ran or a class and seminar on Illiad and Odyssey, or a class and seminar on dianetics. Difference is at least on the last one, we know who wrote the book.

There was a time when I gave many shits about reading the bible critically (back when I was a christian) and even looking through all the flaws and contradictions (after I became an atheist). Anymore, however, I realized it was just as much bs, myth, crap and a lot of old sheep herders who knew nothing about cosmology and how the universe works just as much as any other sheep herders back then who didn't know anything about cosmology or the universe. Henceforth at that point, I stopped giving any shits.

It's a large reason many of us don't really care much Tongue (about the bible anyway)

Not sure exactly what the main point of the thread is but yeah, the biblical types love explaining away violence and murder. Their sky daddy sure is biased. I mean, how much of an asshole would you have to be to know everything, create beings knowing they were going to fuck up, let them fuck up anyway, punish them for fucking up when you knew they'd fuck up, and then make a chosen people out of a population of the fucked up people, and give a fuck about a specific place on the rock you made for the special people who fucked up who are no different than the other people who fucked up.... who fucked up just because they were born and related to people who fucked up generations before them...

Thankfully, that's pretty irrational and stupid, and even the average human being is more rational than that by the standards of today. So that's a pretty good indicator that the primitive bs is nothing more than that. BS.

Drinking Beverage

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
11-07-2013, 01:58 AM
Comet, are you an Atheist? A Christian? The problem with metaphors is that they are interpretive. That is often why they are used, either conscientiously or unconsciously.

11-07-2013, 02:06 AM
(11-07-2013 01:58 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Comet, are you an Atheist? A Christian? The problem with metaphors is that they are interpretive. That is often why they are used, either conscientiously or unconsciously.

Well I thought the picture was him asking him out on a date, cause, ya know, it's a kinky picture and all... damn interpretive pictures.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
11-07-2013, 02:09 AM
The lady in red? I've nothing but questions on this thread.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
11-07-2013, 02:11 AM

[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
11-07-2013, 04:05 AM
(10-07-2013 11:47 PM)comet Wrote:  OK, thought provoking image. I suspect that it is supposed to be funny. I also suspect that it is not all that complimentary, hard to read.

To explain the image it is about the insane contortions one needs to make to hold to any theistic view once one academically studies the bible and the history of the region. I also enjoy fucking with people but only on a consensual basis so if you take offense to said fucking just ignore the response. Had I wanted a head up their own ass picture the internet has many of those so no.

I did not mean to offend you, or your chosen field of study, we have a few other biblical scholars here and they are some of our best posters. However when you post apologetics that require contortion of the actual text it is going to get a response here. Either way relax it wasn't meant as an insult to you, more to the faulty logic behind the assertion that one must read the bible only this way since thats the only way we can get our result.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
11-07-2013, 09:52 PM
I am a Schultzist. "I know nothing" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgcxGFmYyPs
[+] 1 user Likes comet's post