Biblical Prophecies?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Biblical Prophecies?
Biblical Prophecies? I keep hearing they proved it predicted all these things. I can't find much but I was wondering what you guys thought! Thanks!

Heres the comment:

"Did humans write the books, or were they told what to write...how did the HUMAN daniel predict the fall of Babylon to the Medo-Persians and then the fall of the Medo-Persians to Alexander the Great and then the fall of Alexander the great into 4 kingdoms that would be overthrown by the Roman Empire...guess humans can do that...Or how about Jeremiah predicting the Babalonian attack and captivity...I guess the prophets were just lucky humans…lol"

“Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

-Christopher Hitchens
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2014, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2014 12:51 PM by donotwant.)
RE: Biblical Prophecies?
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ezekiel+26
Yet Tyre still stands today
Find all posts by this user
10-02-2014, 12:50 PM
List of Bible prophecies and and their "truths"

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 3 users Like Im_Ryan's post
10-02-2014, 12:53 PM
My initial thought is - maybe the book of Daniel was actually written after those events took place? Is there a copy in existence that dates back before the supposedly predicted events?
10-02-2014, 01:01 PM
I would have to take a look at the book of Daniel, but I'd be willing to bet he didn't specifically name Alexander the Great (and probably not the others either). He probably had some allegorical dream and interpreted it as a succession of empires rising and falling. Big deal -- empires rose and fell as a matter of course back then (and still do today). Predicting that this would continue to happen is no miracle, just common sense.

Most Biblical prophecies that I have seen are vague enough that almost any events would seem to fulfill them. And according to Matthew, at least, Jesus often went out of his way to do things "so that the prophecy would be fulfilled". It doesn't really count if you are aware of the prophecy and then do whatever it takes to make it come true.
10-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Prophesies are kind of like prayer. 99% of the time they don't come true, then a coincidence happens and it's proof that they're always true.
10-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Look at the link I provided in the second post, it lists all prophecies and why they're bull.

Atir aissom atir imon
10-02-2014, 02:01 PM
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid257278

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-02-2014, 02:11 PM
Chinese fortune cookies accurately "predict" stuff too. When it's general enough, all kinds of things will appear to "fit".

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
10-02-2014, 02:25 PM
(10-02-2014 01:26 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Look at the link I provided in the second post, it lists all prophecies and why they're bull.

Great link. Biblical prophecies, and others such as the prophecies of Nostradamus fall under the same category, ......bull.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí