Biblical Prophecies?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2014, 02:30 PM
RE: Biblical Prophecies?
(10-02-2014 02:25 PM)Marozz Wrote:  
(10-02-2014 01:26 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Look at the link I provided in the second post, it lists all prophecies and why they're bull.

Great link. Biblical prophecies, and others such as the prophecies of Nostradamus fall under the same category, ......bull.

Exactly.

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2014, 11:02 PM
(10-02-2014 12:46 PM)Just Another Atheist Wrote:  Biblical Prophecies? I keep hearing they proved it predicted all these things. I can't find much but I was wondering what you guys thought! Thanks!

I think it's bull shit. It's no different than the kind of crap you see done with the writings of Nostradamus.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
10-02-2014, 11:36 PM
Book X makes a claim, Book X also asserts that Book X is telling the truth ...therefor Book X's claims must be true. ^_^

If you want to see a prophesy you will see it, pick up any book read it through and you will find a sentence or two that sounds like a prediction Wink Try it!
11-02-2014, 04:00 AM
I remember years ago saying that in the future there would be a way to communicate with everyone, anywhere in the world. Then years later Cell Phones were invented.

Prophecy
11-02-2014, 09:16 AM
(11-02-2014 04:00 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  I remember years ago saying that in the future there would be a way to communicate with everyone, anywhere in the world. Then years later Cell Phones were invented.

Prophecy

My step dad claims to have invented the first Walkman in the 60's and one of my dad's friends classrooms to have invented the first "push to start" engine in the 80's.

Atir aissom atir imon
11-02-2014, 11:45 AM
Quote:The Athenians had fled to Salamis after the Battle of Thermopylae in August, 480 BC, while the Persians occupied and burned their city. The Greek fleet joined them there in August after the indecisive Battle of Artemisium. The Spartans wanted to return to the Peloponnese, seal off the Isthmus of Corinth with a wall, and prevent the Persians from defeating them on land, but the Athenian commander Themistocles persuaded them to remain at Salamis, arguing that a wall across the Isthmus was pointless as long as the Persian army could be transported and supplied by the Persian navy. His argument depended on a particular interpretation of the oracle at Delphi, which, in typical Delphic ambiguity, prophesized that Salamis would "bring death to women's sons," but also that the Greeks would be saved by a "wooden wall". Themistocles interpreted the wooden wall as the fleet of ships, and argued that Salamis would bring death to the Persians, not the Greeks. Furthermore some Athenians who chose not to flee Athens, interpreted the prophecy literally, barricaded the entrance to the Acropolis with a wooden wall, and fenced themselves in. The wooden wall was overrun, they were all killed, and the Acropolis was burned down by the Persians.
http://www.molossia.org/milacademy/salamis.html

Let's all go sacrifice a goat to fucking Apollo. Clearly he got that one right!

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
11-02-2014, 02:15 PM
(11-02-2014 04:00 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  I remember years ago saying that in the future there would be a way to communicate with everyone, anywhere in the world. Then years later Cell Phones were invented.

Prophecy

...did land lines exist when you made this prophecy? Wink

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
11-02-2014, 05:46 PM
(10-02-2014 12:53 PM)meremortal Wrote:  My initial thought is - maybe the book of Daniel was actually written after those events took place? Is there a copy in existence that dates back before the supposedly predicted events?

I started reading The Bible Unearthed and it seems that much of the bible was written later than previously thought. I haven't finished the book yet but it might be that some of the prophecies were written after the fact. The book is by Isreal Finkelstein and Neil Asher Silberman.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
11-02-2014, 05:49 PM
(11-02-2014 05:46 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(10-02-2014 12:53 PM)meremortal Wrote:  My initial thought is - maybe the book of Daniel was actually written after those events took place? Is there a copy in existence that dates back before the supposedly predicted events?

I started reading The Bible Unearthed and it seems that much of the bible was written later than previously thought. I haven't finished the book yet but it might be that some of the prophecies were written after the fact. The book is by Isreal Finkelstein and Neil Asher Silberman.

I've heard of that. I'm gonna check it out, thanks for the info

Atir aissom atir imon
11-02-2014, 07:02 PM
(11-02-2014 05:46 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

Excellent book, very informative. Not the most exciting read, but still very interesting.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco