Biblical Prophecies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Biblical Prophecies
Ran into a theist using the argument that Christianity is true because of all the fulfilled prophecies. I'll admit that I'm not well versed in that aspect of the bible. You guys are fellow atheists on here so obviously this argument didn't keep you from discarding your faith. Anyone care to speak on some of these prophecies and why they didn't change your mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2015, 07:37 PM
RE: Biblical Prophecies
(06-09-2015 07:30 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  Ran into a theist using the argument that Christianity is true because of all the fulfilled prophecies. I'll admit that I'm not well versed in that aspect of the bible. You guys are fellow atheists on here so obviously this argument didn't keep you from discarding your faith. Anyone care to speak on some of these prophecies and why they didn't change your mind.

I may be wrong and Bucky or gwg can correct me if I am but the bible was written after the events occurred so they were written to be "fulfilled" on purpose.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
06-09-2015, 07:38 PM
(06-09-2015 07:30 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  Ran into a theist using the argument that Christianity is true because of all the fulfilled prophecies. I'll admit that I'm not well versed in that aspect of the bible. You guys are fellow atheists on here so obviously this argument didn't keep you from discarding your faith. Anyone care to speak on some of these prophecies and why they didn't change your mind.

Any so-called "fulfilled prophecies" listed in the bible are always done from a future writer interpreting the words of a previous writer as referring to events that happened during the future writer's lifetime.

In short, the future writers is using 20/20 hindsight to say, "See! It was written 2000 years ago that this would happen, and it did!" But the future writer is forced to interpret the words of the previous writer insomuch as to "make" the previous writer's words fit the future writer's proposed prophecy.

The future writer is in error, because the words he is interpreting from the previous writer could be interpreted as meaning any number of completely different things, and all the future writer is doing is insisting that it "must" mean what he believes it to mean.

And then you have the modern "prophets," who see a modern event happening in the world, and they do the exact same thing as the writers of the Gospels did; they make a choice to interpret ancient scripture in such a way as to make it conform to modern events.

It's all smoke and mirrors dude. Aint no magic in dat olde book anywhere, anyhow, son.

Big Grin

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 4 users Like Free's post
06-09-2015, 07:39 PM
Fulfilled prophecy. Laugh out load

Here's a result from the search function - prophecy - we're been around this mulberry bush numerous times. Wink

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
06-09-2015, 07:43 PM
As a former Christian I was majorly into these prophecy/Bible code things. Do you have a specific example?

Generally speaking, none of the prophets were talking about anything years in the future. They were talking about the goings on in their time. It also only makes sense if you read the passage in its historical/literary/cultural context to view it in this light and not predictive of future events.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
06-09-2015, 07:45 PM
For the same reasons I've never been entertained by fortune tellers or mediums. The substance of their arguments is too vague for my nonsense detector. The predictions contained in scripture fall into one of two categories for me, either they have yet to be fulfilled or beneath the surface they weren't really predictions in the first place (dwindling number of believers, unrest, debauchery, etc).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-09-2015, 07:51 PM
(06-09-2015 07:39 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Fulfilled prophecy. Laugh out load

Here's a result from the search function - prophecy - we're been around this mulberry bush numerous times. Wink

Awesome, thanks for that link. The guy was trotting out the prophecy of Israel being recognized as a country and how amazing it was that they predicted this 2000 years ago and it became a nation in a single day. I thought, what nation doesn't officially come into existence on a single day?
[+] 2 users Like Rkane819's post
06-09-2015, 07:51 PM
(06-09-2015 07:38 PM)Free Wrote:  

Any so-called "fulfilled prophecies" listed in the bible are always done from a future writer interpreting the words of a previous writer as referring to events that happened during the future writer's lifetime.

In short, the future writers is using 20/20 hindsight to say, "See! It was written 2000 years ago that this would happen, and it did!" But the future writer is forced to interpret the words of the previous writer insomuch as to "make" the previous writer's words fit the future writer's proposed prophecy.

The future writer is in error, because the words he is interpreting from the previous writer could be interpreted as meaning any number of completely different things, and all the future writer is doing is insisting that it "must" mean what he believes it to mean.

And then you have the modern "prophets," who see a modern event happening in the world, and they do the exact same thing as the writers of the Gospels did; they make a choice to interpret ancient scripture in such a way as to make it conform to modern events.

It's all smoke and mirrors dude. Aint no magic in dat olde book anywhere, anyhow, son.

Big Grin

You beat me to it Tongue Yes, to all of what Free wrote. Also, there are some rapturists who have come up with elaborate Bible calculations/codes/blood moon prophecies.

In some cases, biblical prophecies were written in after events occurred (also known as vaticinium ex eventu) as is found in the book of Daniel, for example.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
06-09-2015, 09:27 PM
Google "unfulfilled prophecies". At least as many didn't happen, and many if not most can be interpreted in other ways.

Omen reading (which is what this is) is forbidden in the OT, so using prophecy in this way is a sin. The role of a prophet was not to tell the future.

There are no "proofs" any religion is true. If there were, faith would be unnecessary. Ask your friend if he doesn't need faith as he has "proofs". Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
06-09-2015, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2015 09:44 PM by Aliza.)
(06-09-2015 07:51 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  The guy was trotting out the prophecy of Israel being recognized as a country and how amazing it was that they predicted this 2000 years ago and it became a nation in a single day. I thought, what nation doesn't officially come into existence on a single day?

Well, to be fair, most nations grow into it. France didn't become France overnight. Everyone didn't just wake up in the morning and cry out, "we all love wine and cheese!"

I suspect I know where your friend is going with this, but I'm unaware of any prophesy that requires the land of Israel to be established in a single day, anyway.