Biblical Prophecies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2015, 10:22 PM
RE: Biblical Prophecies
Isn't Israel the thing where a ton of theists are actively trying to make it be a thing so said prophecy can come true? Kind of invalidates it, even if it did meet every specification.

"I'm gonna rob you!"

*Takes wallet*

"I'm psychic! Gasp "

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like CleverUsername's post
06-09-2015, 10:34 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2015 11:02 PM by jennybee.)
(06-09-2015 07:51 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  
(06-09-2015 07:39 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Fulfilled prophecy. Laugh out load

Here's a result from the search function - prophecy - we're been around this mulberry bush numerous times. Wink

Awesome, thanks for that link. The guy was trotting out the prophecy of Israel being recognized as a country and how amazing it was that they predicted this 2000 years ago and it became a nation in a single day. I thought, what nation doesn't officially come into existence on a single day?

Yeah, they love that one. Here's where it comes from:

Isaiah 66:8: "Who hath heard such a thing? who hath seen such things? Shall the earth be made to bring forth in one day? or shall a nation be born at once? for as soon as Zion travailed, she brought forth her children."

This passage is referring to the Jews coming back to their land after the Babylonian captivity was over. They became a nation in a day because after Cyrus conquered Babylon, he allowed the Jews to return to Israel in 537 BCE. As such, they became a nation again rather quickly as they were given their land back by Cyrus and then able to return shortly thereafter. Don't forget, the Jews were already an established culture prior to the Babylonian captivity. This is also why it appeared that they became a nation in a day.

**I cut and pasted the following from another post I made in another thread re: Isaiah 66:

Isaiah 66 is referring to the exiled Israelites return from Babylon and not to 1948 Israel. From the Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges Commentary:

"The sudden repopulation of the city by her children. The figure is taken from ch. Isaiah 49:17-21, Isaiah 54:1; the fact set forth being the instantaneous return of the exiled Israelites, by which, without effort, the poor and struggling Jewish community becomes at once a great nation."

Third Isaiah (ch. 55-66) talks about the return and restoration after Babylonian captivity.
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
07-09-2015, 04:19 AM
WTF Jen? Did MySpace come for your siggy? Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2015, 04:59 AM
(06-09-2015 10:34 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(06-09-2015 07:51 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  Awesome, thanks for that link. The guy was trotting out the prophecy of Israel being recognized as a country and how amazing it was that they predicted this 2000 years ago and it became a nation in a single day. I thought, what nation doesn't officially come into existence on a single day?

Yeah, they love that one. Here's where it comes from:

Isaiah 66:8: "Who hath heard such a thing? who hath seen such things? Shall the earth be made to bring forth in one day? or shall a nation be born at once? for as soon as Zion travailed, she brought forth her children."

This passage is referring to the Jews coming back to their land after the Babylonian captivity was over. They became a nation in a day because after Cyrus conquered Babylon, he allowed the Jews to return to Israel in 537 BCE. As such, they became a nation again rather quickly as they were given their land back by Cyrus and then able to return shortly thereafter. Don't forget, the Jews were already an established culture prior to the Babylonian captivity. This is also why it appeared that they became a nation in a day.

**I cut and pasted the following from another post I made in another thread re: Isaiah 66:

Isaiah 66 is referring to the exiled Israelites return from Babylon and not to 1948 Israel. From the Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges Commentary:

"The sudden repopulation of the city by her children. The figure is taken from ch. Isaiah 49:17-21, Isaiah 54:1; the fact set forth being the instantaneous return of the exiled Israelites, by which, without effort, the poor and struggling Jewish community becomes at once a great nation."

Third Isaiah (ch. 55-66) talks about the return and restoration after Babylonian captivity.

That's fantastic. Thank you Jenny. Whenever I read through the bible in my younger Catholic school days we always started with the NT and I usually lost steam around 2 Chronicles. Never kept my focus through the rest!
[+] 1 user Likes Rkane819's post
07-09-2015, 05:05 AM
There shall in that time be rumors of things going astray, erm, and there shall be a great confusion as to where things really are, and nobody will really know where lieth those little things with the sort of raffia-work base, that has an attachment. At that time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer, and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock. -- Boring Prophet -- Life of Brian

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
07-09-2015, 07:27 AM
(07-09-2015 04:59 AM)Rkane819 Wrote:  
(06-09-2015 10:34 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Yeah, they love that one. Here's where it comes from:

That's fantastic. Thank you Jenny. Whenever I read through the bible in my younger Catholic school days we always started with the NT and I usually lost steam around 2 Chronicles. Never kept my focus through the rest!

Were you reading it in the original KJV? If not, there is your problem. Tongue

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
07-09-2015, 08:10 AM
(07-09-2015 04:19 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  WTF Jen? Did MySpace come for your siggy? Tongue

Ha ha no I have another one made for me by Jdog--but just trying to resize it so it doesn't take up all of TTA. So fear not, Cantor--the my space sig lives on and on and on.... Tongue I can't quit you, myspace siggy No
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
07-09-2015, 08:24 AM
(07-09-2015 04:59 AM)Rkane819 Wrote:  
(06-09-2015 10:34 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Yeah, they love that one. Here's where it comes from:

There are some extremely boring parts to the Bible. There are also parts that are actually quite interesting--once you understand them from a literary/cultural/historical point of view. I majored in Literature and minored in Sociology for my Bachelor's, so this kind of thing interests me (even as an atheist).
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
07-09-2015, 10:28 AM
(07-09-2015 05:05 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  There shall in that time be rumors of things going astray, erm, and there shall be a great confusion as to where things really are, and nobody will really know where lieth those little things with the sort of raffia-work base, that has an attachment. At that time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer, and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock. -- Boring Prophet -- Life of Brian

One of my favorite scenes from that movie! Laugh out load

I also like to point theists all the other books of prophecy written over the millennium.

The Chinese have a book of prophecy called Tui bei tu and the Hindus have a book called Kalki Purana. If you read them.... juuust right....... *cough believe the bullshit *cough.....they predict the future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalki_Purana

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
08-09-2015, 12:12 AM
(07-09-2015 08:24 AM)jennybee Wrote:  There are some extremely boring parts to the Bible.
Uh... Yuh think?Drinking Beverage

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post