Biblical Prophecy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2011, 11:59 AM
RE: Biblical Prophecy
(12-12-2011 08:49 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  While I was in college, I took a theology class which focused on the three Abrahamic faiths. During the Christianity portion of the class, the instructor gave us a challenge to find the 3 passages in the old testament that prophesised the coming of Jesus. ...I don't remember the exact wordings, but they were so obscure that they could have meant anything at that point.

There are only 3?

I'm pretty sure they'd all be referenced from Matthew, as the point that the writer of Matthew was pushing through the whole book was that Jesus came as a fulfillment of prophesy.

I'd look them up, but I'm too lazy Tongue

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Comes out of Isaiah, no doubt. That boy make Johnny look like paragon of sanity. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
12-12-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm under the impression there are hundreds and maybe even thousands of "prophecies" about the Messiah.

The very first one appears in Genesis 3:15 as Elohim and YHWH dole out the punishment for eating the tasty pomegranates.
Speaking to the talking Snake (a.k.a., the one that most Christians label as Lucifer), The Gods say:

15 And I will put enmity
Between you and the woman,
And between your seed and her seed;
He shall [a]bruise you on the head,
And you shall bruise him on the heel.”

If you need the Evangelical interpretation, the idea is there will always be strife between humanity and the minions of Hell, but JC will come along and kick the shit out of the snake when he gets Mel Gibsoned on the cross.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
13-12-2011, 03:45 AM
Yes, that is indeed one of them. But the way I interpreted it when I read it, my small mind told me that it simply means men and snakes won't like each other (literally), and men will stomp on their heads because it's the best way to kill a snake, and snakes will bite their heels. Why am I supposed to think it means anything else. Maybe I just don't understand literature.

I also reckon you might be right about there being, allegedly, hundreds of them, and the three we were meant to look for were just the genesis ones, because I remember them all being from genesis.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 2 users Like Smooshmonster's post
13-12-2011, 06:03 AM
(12-12-2011 06:42 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm under the impression there are hundreds and maybe even thousands of "prophecies" about the Messiah.

The very first one appears in Genesis 3:15 as Elohim and YHWH dole out the punishment for eating the tasty pomegranates.
Speaking to the talking Snake (a.k.a., the one that most Christians label as Lucifer), The Gods say:

15 And I will put enmity
Between you and the woman,
And between your seed and her seed;
He shall [a]bruise you on the head,
And you shall bruise him on the heel.”

If you need the Evangelical interpretation, the idea is there will always be strife between humanity and the minions of Hell, but JC will come along and kick the shit out of the snake when he gets Mel Gibsoned on the cross.

Right.Huh

People don't read what the Bible says,
they read whay they want it to say.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
13-12-2011, 11:52 AM
(13-12-2011 06:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  People don't read what the Bible says,
they read what they want it to say.

Indeed. And I believe your choice of saying "people" read what they want it to say is more precise than saying "Christians" read what they want it to say.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
13-12-2011, 10:33 PM
The notion of a prophet being a "seer" or fortune teller, or someone who foretells future events is a sort of Hollywood overlay, or a post modern concept overlaid onto ancient texts. The role of a prophet is a "mouthpiece", or someone who was an intermediary, (often someone who confronted the King), (ie speaks truth to power). The entire business of the Babble being somehow "validated" because someone can find a prediction that might have eventually occured, is a total misunderstanding of the nature of those texts. Why is it SO difficult to see that people reading something AFTER the scientific age began cannot, without some work involved, be able to see the context in which they were written. They lived in a world of "magic". It is almost impossible to imagine. Blush

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
13-12-2011, 11:10 PM
(13-12-2011 10:33 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The notion of a prophet being a "seer" or fortune teller, or someone who foretells future events is a sort of Hollywood overlay, or a post modern concept overlaid onto ancient texts. The role of a prophet is a "mouthpiece", or someone who was an intermediary, (often someone who confronted the King), (ie speaks truth to power). The entire business of the Babble being somehow "validated" because someone can find a prediction that might have eventually occured, is a total misunderstanding of the nature of those texts. Why is it SO difficult to see that people reading something AFTER the scientific age began cannot, without some work involved, be able to see the context in which they were written. They lived in a world of "magic". It is almost impossible to imagine. Blush

True in a Biblical sense, but have you met our Forum's Prophet, Doc HoC? Tongue

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
24-12-2011, 09:08 AM
True in a Biblical sense, but have you met our Forum's Prophet, Doc HoC? Tongue

Not officially, but my prophet is Nostradamus. His prophesies came true, in some cases. So I must worship him, I guess. No ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
24-12-2011, 09:20 AM
(24-12-2011 09:08 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  True in a Biblical sense, but have you met our Forum's Prophet, Doc HoC? Tongue

Not officially, but my prophet is Nostradamus. His prophesies came true, in some cases. So I must worship him, I guess. No ?

I find that most fortune cookies apply to me when at the end I add the phrase, "in bed."

Therefore, I worship the little old Chinese man who types up those slips of papers and puts them inside those delicious crunchy snacks.

~Izel