Biblical Rape and the Female Role in the Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2016, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2016 04:18 PM by Atothetheist.)
Biblical Rape and the Female Role in the Bible
Hey all, Atothetheist here. I just finished a recording of another segment of Atothetheist Reads the Bible and when I got to chapter 34 I realized that this needed to be set apart from the recording session (Though it will be included in there) as well as raise a topic of female roles in the Bible. As we shall see (whether you read the Bible yourself or follow me as I read it) females are treated, bluntly to say, as property. Now, this isn't anything we haven't encountered before, but this is so far one of the most flagrant examples of it that promoted such a disgusted outrage that I feel people need to talk about it, need it pointed out explicitly. I hope I did a nice job about it and that the role of females in a book that's supposedly "inspired" is used as a black mark against it more often in debates against theists.

You would think that an all knowing, all caring, all powerful God (Who in the OT has no problem with stepping in an interfering with people's actions) would step into interfere with the rape and (implied capture) of a female, especially one from the "Chosen People," but you would be wrong. As I point out in the recording I will link, it seems that he doesn't care, or cares more about the sanctity of marriage then the well being of women. I will respond with further thoughts about this story when I am done editing and have fully published the next episode.

The Rape of Dinah

Its around 11 minutes and 40 seconds, The story begins at 45 seconds and ends at 4 minutes and 54 seconds. The rest are my observances as I read this story. I hope this kick-starts a good discussion on a facet of the bible I think should be a main counterpoint (rather than a flippant comment) against God and Biblical Inspiration as a whole, Happy late New year, we've survived four years (or five or MORE depending on which end of times story you like) years after the end of the world.

- Steven "Atothetheist" C.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
16-01-2016, 03:53 PM
RE: Biblical Rape and the Female Role in the Bible
Women in the stories are always second fiddles. They are portraited as sex devises. Temptations that can't wait to take advantage of the godly man. If not they ether hold little value to the over all story or are briefly talked about and then forgotten.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
16-01-2016, 04:01 PM
(16-01-2016 03:53 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Women in the stories are always second fiddles. They are portraited as sex devises. Temptations that can't wait to take advantage of the godly man. If not they ether hold little value to the over all story or are briefly talked about and then forgotten.

Which hardly speaks to the claim or moral or divine sense at all, let alone inspiration.

16-01-2016, 04:07 PM
Looking forward to listening to your show on the way home.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
16-01-2016, 04:23 PM
(16-01-2016 04:07 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Looking forward to listening to your show on the way home.

Heart

16-01-2016, 04:32 PM
P.S I completely skipped over the moral outrage that the children were kidnapped their children as well (For what purpose?) and the whole outrage is based on the idea that Dinah was treated like a whore (implying that raping whores is common place).

16-01-2016, 05:01 PM
I think it was William Lane Craig that responded to this (don't quote me) He said that showed how caring God was. He could have just had them killed like the rest. Instead he guided the soilders to take them into their homes.

Sicking.

[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
16-01-2016, 05:04 PM
(16-01-2016 05:01 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I think it was William Lane Craig that responded to this (don't quote me) He said that showed how caring God was. He could have just had them killed like the rest. Instead he guided the soilders to take them into their homes.

Sicking.

More like into their beds.

16-01-2016, 05:25 PM
The Newest Episode (featuring Chapter 34)is up on the main Atothetheist reads the Bible thread.

17-01-2016, 12:16 PM
When it comes to women, the Bible is an extra dark place, especially in the Old Testament. Christians like to use the example of Deborah, the prophetess, in Judges, but even she wasn't deemed as fully equal. Because Barak asked her to go with him into battle, God judged him and said that the victory would go to a woman. It was a punishment to Barak for treating Deborah as something resembling an equal.
And yes, that story of Dinah is horrific, and the girl is forced to marry her rapist. It's such a sad story preceding the story of Joseph.
[+] 3 users Like Flowergurl's post