Biblical Visions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Biblical Visions
It seems that rather a lot of people had visions or heard God speaking to them and people take this as truth because someone declared that God told them. Today, mental institutions are full of people who declare God speaks to them, or Jesus. What makes them any different from the earlier people. Were they all mental cases as well?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2014, 12:04 AM
RE: Biblical Visions
I have discussed this extensively with family and friends. The closest thing to an "answer" anyone will give me is along the lines of how everyone KNEW it really was Gawd talking to them back in the day.

For real, "they just knew" is the best explanation they've got. I'm not even joking.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 1 user Likes Cephalotus's post
22-02-2014, 12:07 AM
(22-02-2014 12:04 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  I have discussed this extensively with family and friends. The closest thing to an "answer" anyone will give me is along the lines of how everyone KNEW it really was Gawd talking to them back in the day.

For real, "they just knew" is the best explanation they've got. I'm not even joking.

I've had this. Usually followed by the super robust argument 'Well if it WASN'T God, who WAS it!'

CHECKMATE ATHEISTS
Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
22-02-2014, 07:40 PM
John Nash was a genius who was also the winner of the Nobel for his game theory economics. Nash receives a visitor who asks: "How could you, a mathematician, a man devoted to reason and logical proof . . . how could you believe that extraterrestrials are sending you messages?" Nash replies: "Because the ideas I had about supernatural beings came to me the same way that my mathematical ideas did. So I took them seriously."

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
23-02-2014, 12:34 AM
Guys, life is tough. Maybe we're being a little tough on theists. If they wanna hold onto imaginary things...then maybe we should let them. It's like telling a heavy junkie to quit cold turkey. I see it with my mom. She interprets the world according to her beliefs. She reduces everything to the bible.

If a wicked person prospers she'll say they received gods favour. Even if that person is an "enemy" of the lord. Jesus says if you're not for me then you are against me. It's massive confirmation bias on the grandest of scales!

Why do we do it? Why do we bother? We're not the people that'll end religion.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
23-02-2014, 06:02 AM
(23-02-2014 12:34 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  Guys, life is tough. Maybe we're being a little tough on theists. If they wanna hold onto imaginary things...then maybe we should let them. It's like telling a heavy junkie to quit cold turkey. I see it with my mom. She interprets the world according to her beliefs. She reduces everything to the bible.

If a wicked person prospers she'll say they received gods favour. Even if that person is an "enemy" of the lord. Jesus says if you're not for me then you are against me. It's massive confirmation bias on the grandest of scales!

Why do we do it? Why do we bother? We're not the people that'll end religion.

You are right. We are not the people to end religion because religion probably won't ever end.

But, the more people who live an open secular life, the less power religion has. The more science gives us, the smaller the god of the gaps become.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson