Biblical contradictions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2015, 09:07 PM
RE: Biblical contradictions
(02-01-2015 01:41 AM)f stop Wrote:  What is the biggest contradiction in the Bible, the one that is most difficult for theists to refute?

"Yahweh is a loving God"!!!

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like 666wannabe's post
04-01-2015, 09:34 PM
(02-01-2015 12:41 PM)Bear100 Wrote:  This is my favorite video on biblical contradictions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3g6mXLEKk
This was an awesome video!

I like the one Bart Erhman often brings up. On what day was Jesus crucified? Mark says that it was after the Passover meal (after the day of preparation). John says that he was crucified on the day of preparation (since John was trying to present Jesus as the Passover lamb). See Mark 14:12 and John 19:14-16.
05-01-2015, 12:45 PM
I have never gotten an answer for this:
Mark 2:25-27 Jesus says Abiathar was high priest when David ate the consecrated bread which is referencing 1 Samuel 21 which says that Ahimelek was the high priest for the story.
It is such a tough one because it is something that supposedly Jesus (He who knows everything) said and it clearly doesn't agree with the text.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
07-01-2015, 08:27 AM
(05-01-2015 12:45 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I have never gotten an answer for this:
Mark 2:25-27 Jesus says Abiathar was high priest when David ate the consecrated bread which is referencing 1 Samuel 21 which says that Ahimelek was the high priest for the story.
It is such a tough one because it is something that supposedly Jesus (He who knows everything) said and it clearly doesn't agree with the text.

When in doubt employ mental gymnastics. Sure that solution might come off as nonintuitive and contrived, but hey, at least there's no contradiction, amirite?

This is one reason I won't discuss contradictions and prophesies with a literalist. The unchanging and steadfast word of God switches from unambiguously clear to "you have to know the historical contexts of such-and-such and speak Ancient Hebrew/Greek to understand" on a verse-by-verse basis.
07-01-2015, 09:04 AM
The messiah is meant to be the descendant of David. But when they ret-conned Y-man in as the father, they done fucked that up. Never mind though.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-01-2015, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2015 10:45 AM by The Q Continuum.)
A level playing field says 1) we would look at passages in context for any author, rather than pick out single sentences (or even snippets of sentences as atheists sometimes do) to take potshots and 2) we would consider whether we had translation issues in English, again when looking at any foreign author under criticism.

Looking at passages in context and looking at the source languages for clarity is both appropriate and different for the Bible and any other historical, foreign text than my saying "You just don't believe!" or "God has revealed special knowledge to me."

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
08-01-2015, 10:42 AM
(07-01-2015 09:04 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  The messiah is meant to be the descendant of David. But when they ret-conned Y-man in as the father, they done fucked that up. Never mind though.

I'm not familiar with the phrase Y-man, but both Joseph and Mary in their lineages are direct descendants of King David, Joseph via David's son Solomon, and Mary via another son of David, Nathan.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
09-01-2015, 01:13 PM
(08-01-2015 10:41 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  A level playing field says 1) we would look at passages in context for any author, rather than pick out single sentences (or even snippets of sentences as atheists sometimes do) to take potshots and 2) we would consider whether we had translation issues in English, again when looking at any foreign author under criticism.

Looking at passages in context and looking at the source languages for clarity is both appropriate and different for the Bible and any other historical, foreign text than my saying "You just don't believe!" or "God has revealed special knowledge to me."

BINGO!!!!!

[Image: atheistBingo.png]

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 4 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
09-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Here's a contradiction: Luke says Jesus was born during the Quirinian census. Matthew and Luke say Herod was alive when Jesus was born. Herod was dead by the time of the Quirinian census. Christians actually invent history to try to fix that blunder.

How many times did Peter deny Jesus? The gospels all say three, then contradict each other left and right about the circumstances of each one, not to mention how many times the cock crowed.

When did Joseph and Mary move to Nazareth? In Matthew, Jesus was a toddler. In Luke, Jesus was an infant.

Where was Jesus when the Magi showed up? In Matthew, he's in Bethlehem. In Luke, there's no room for the Magi story, and Jesus would have been in Nazareth already.

Why are there camels in Genesis? Camels weren't domesticated until centuries later.

Etc.

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
09-01-2015, 02:02 PM
"Worship no god but me." ~ God

"I am." ~ Jesus

I don't like to blame it all on the continuity editor(s). More to the point, I blame it on uneducated zealots who have no understanding of history or fiction writing. Drinking Beverage (gullible twits)

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein