Biblical contradictions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2015, 03:18 PM
RE: Biblical contradictions
(08-01-2015 10:42 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 09:04 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  The messiah is meant to be the descendant of David. But when they ret-conned Y-man in as the father, they done fucked that up. Never mind though.

I'm not familiar with the phrase Y-man, but both Joseph and Mary in their lineages are direct descendants of King David, Joseph via David's son Solomon, and Mary via another son of David, Nathan.

The Y-chromosome donor. Joseph, in this case.

Incidentally, Q, how do you know it's not the other way round? Mary from Solomon and Joseph from Nathan?

Doc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2015, 03:32 PM
(02-01-2015 06:24 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Monotheism is a lie.
The god Yahweh in the OT was one of many the Hebrews acknowledged.
He even had a wife.

Yeah - if there is only one god why is there a commandment that refers to other gods...hmmmm? This is one of those things I need an answer to. Obviously, the Christian god was just trying to say that the other gods are inferior, not that they don't exist or never existed.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
09-01-2015, 04:41 PM
(09-01-2015 03:18 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(08-01-2015 10:42 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm not familiar with the phrase Y-man, but both Joseph and Mary in their lineages are direct descendants of King David, Joseph via David's son Solomon, and Mary via another son of David, Nathan.

Incidentally, Q, how do you know it's not the other way round? Mary from Solomon and Joseph from Nathan?

Doc

Actually, I've always wondered how they get Mary in there at all. Both genealogies (one in Matthew and one in Luke) explicitly lead to Joseph. Mary isn't even mentioned. And if Joseph isn't the biological father anyway, why does his line of descent even matter?
[+] 5 users Like Grasshopper's post
10-01-2015, 12:24 PM
(02-01-2015 01:41 AM)f stop Wrote:  What is the biggest contradiction in the Bible, the one that is most difficult for theists to refute?

I thought of another contradiction. If sin entered into the world because of "the fall", how was it possible for Adam and Eve to commit sin (disobedience to God) before the fall. Either Genesis is mistaken or the Apostle Paul is mistaken or the whole story is a load of crap. I suggest the latter.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
[+] 1 user Likes 666wannabe's post
11-01-2015, 03:41 AM
There are no contradictions in the bible in the mind of a theist. Those who admit there are contradictions are the ones who believe that you have to work it out between you and the guy you pay money to each week to read the book to you.

The best known one I know of is the contradictions of the Resurrection

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
11-01-2015, 03:30 PM
"Jesus sacrificing himself for mankind is BULLSHIT! He knew ahead of time that in 3 days he would be resurrected as he is all knowing. He basically took a 3 day nap for mankind. Had he not resurrected then that would be an actual sacrifice. Now what if Jesus was asked to sacrifice himself to his own personal eternal hell for ETERNITY for mankind.... No chance in HELL he would make that sacrifice!!"

(source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC8JQxrKAZY posted by Yon Choi)
[+] 1 user Likes LM2340's post
11-01-2015, 11:39 PM
my favorite contradiction is that god is omnipresent and that evil cannot exist within him.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
12-01-2015, 08:53 AM
(09-01-2015 03:18 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(08-01-2015 10:42 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm not familiar with the phrase Y-man, but both Joseph and Mary in their lineages are direct descendants of King David, Joseph via David's son Solomon, and Mary via another son of David, Nathan.

Doc

Q, I'm still eagerly awaiting your answer. You claimed that Mary was descended from Nathan, while Joseph was descended from Solomon. Do you have some reason for stating this? As Grasshopper noted, both Matthew and Luke explicitly claim that their lineages are Joseph's.

Also, please explain why both lineages split apart after King David, reconverge at Shealtiel and Zerubbabel and then split apart again. Think about it. If the lines converge for two generations at a later point after splitting earlier on, how can you tell who is descended from whom?
Doc
[+] 4 users Like docskeptic's post
12-01-2015, 08:57 AM
The Flood. It just didn't happen. We have the rocks and the fossils. That story is complete nonsense and myth.

They won't believe you if you point out though. Geologists have been fighting against the floodsters for almost 2 centuries, and some still persist. It is actually kind of fascinating that they still do when we live in such a highly-connected world where information is available at the swipe of a finger. But, there they are....

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
12-01-2015, 09:00 AM
(12-01-2015 08:53 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(09-01-2015 03:18 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  The Y-chromosome donor. Joseph, in this case.

Doc

Q, I'm still eagerly awaiting your answer. You claimed that Mary was descended from Nathan, while Joseph was descended from Solomon. Do you have some reason for stating this? As Grasshopper noted, both Matthew and Luke explicitly claim that their lineages are Joseph's.

Also, please explain why both lineages split apart after King David, reconverge at Shealtiel and Zerubbabel and then split apart again. Think about it. If the lines converge for two generations at a later point after splitting earlier on, how can you tell who is descended from whom?
Doc

If YHWH was the sperm donor, then Joseph's lineage is irrelevant. A point not lost on Jewish scholars, which also disqualifies Jesus as being a messiah.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post