Biblical contradictions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2015, 05:24 PM
RE: Biblical contradictions
(13-01-2015 03:24 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(13-01-2015 01:01 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I ask again: Where are you finding anything about Mary in the genealogies? They both end at Joseph, except that they go in different directions. One says "X was the father of Joseph" and the other says "Joseph was the son of Y" (and X and Y are different people). There is not a word about Mary in either of them. You can use this adoptee/step-children/in-laws thing to claim that one of them refers to Mary, but then you're playing word games (not to mention guessing at which one it is). What it actually says is a contradiction.

Not to mention Doc's point about convergence in the middle of the genealogies.

Yes, but it is also with the post above the sole way to reconcile what seem to be contradictory prophecies. This is old ground for Bible study--just as Jesus's death, resurrection and second advent reconcile Messiah both suffering for sin and liberating Israel.

1. Tell that to the Jews, who are the originators of the Messiah concept, and who didn't accept Jesus as their Messiah back then, and still do not accept him as such today.

2. "One of the genealogies is for Mary" is not the only way to explain the discrepancy in the genealogies. It is but one among many dodges that I have seen from apologists, and those who use it admit that it is speculation.

3. Once you abandon Biblical literalism and start "interpreting" things, you have opened Pandora's box, because there are so many different interpretations that it'll make your head spin. Of course, yours is the right one because you are a True Christian™. Right...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
13-01-2015, 05:26 PM
Quote:This kind of thing--and I do appreciate the logic you employed here--underscores my request that the Bible be treated just like other books written for another culture and time and not in English, in context and from the languages then in use.

I protest. This is what I do. It belongs in the Fiction Section of every library.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
13-01-2015, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2015 10:12 PM by docskeptic.)
(13-01-2015 03:22 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Jechonias was in Babylon thirty-seven years and was treated kindly by his rulers. He apparently married a daughter of Neri in Nathan’s branch of the house of David (Neri is no. 54 of that line). An assumption is that Neri was not only a woman of appropriate status but possibly a widow whose husband was killed in one of the many Jerusalem sieges. Zechariah may have had this circumstance in mind (cf. With Zechariah 12:12). If her son by her deceased husband was Pedaiah of I Chron 3:18 when Jechonias took her as a spouse…

But Jechonias had a son by Neri, Salathiel (2nd and 56th names in the pedigree lines).

Or:
Jehoakim has a son, Jechonias, who has a son, Salathiel, who by Levirate custom has a son, Zerubbabel, who has title right but no bloodline taint. Neri begets a grandson through his daughter and Salathiel begets an unusual “son”, Zerubbabel, through Pedaiah.

Arthur C. Custance, Ph.D.
Adapted by me from Appendix VI from The Seed of the Woman, 1980

So, to make the Bible fit your preconceptions, you have Neri become a woman in one scenario and a man in another! I think your turban is tied a little too tight.

Doc
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
14-01-2015, 08:06 AM
Major contradiction:

God is good

vs.

The rest of the Bible

Celebrate Reason ● Think For Yourself
www.theHeathensGuide.com
[Image: heathens-guide.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like JonDarbyXIII's post
14-01-2015, 08:20 AM
(02-01-2015 01:41 AM)f stop Wrote:  What is the biggest contradiction in the Bible, the one that is most difficult for theists to refute?

God wasn't omniscint enought to know Adam wouldn't be happy sexually with all the animal.

Had to go in and rethink its design. Bump up the revision.

[Image: image_zpsd13ae8c7.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like H4ym4n's post
14-01-2015, 09:37 AM
(13-01-2015 03:22 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Solomon’s son Joram married Athaliah, daughter of Ahab and Jezebel. Seed is cursed for four generations in accordance with Ex. 20:5 and next three names in genealogy are omitted, leaving Ozias as son of Joram in Matthew 1:8. Variants of Ozias are Azariah (1 Chron 3:12) and Uzziah (Isa. 6:1).

Arthur C. Custance, Ph.D.
Adapted by me from Appendix VI from The Seed of the Woman, 1980

Q,
Where are you getting these facts from? Not from the Bible, surely. Solomon's son was Rehoboam. You know, you really should change your tagline, which says "Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies", which implies that if you are asked a question you will inevitably lie.

Doc
14-01-2015, 10:43 AM
(13-01-2015 05:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-01-2015 03:24 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Yes, but it is also with the post above the sole way to reconcile what seem to be contradictory prophecies. This is old ground for Bible study--just as Jesus's death, resurrection and second advent reconcile Messiah both suffering for sin and liberating Israel.

Right, the Bible doesn't say what it clearly says, it says what you want it to say.

Got it. Drinking Beverage

What seem to be contradictory prophecies--and which I'm sure there's a site somewhere mentioning as contradictory--until Jesus arrives on the scene.

I can think of a number of such examples where it almost seems as though God is trying to offer proof to skeptics by opening doors to such prophecy "traps" if you follow what I'm saying...

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
15-01-2015, 02:25 PM
All,

1. Solomon and David had multiple sons.

2. It's not a matter of trying to make square prophecy pegs fit round holes. It's an honest matter of investigating troubling issues more than superficially. Jesus spoke of two men who built houses, one on sand, the other on a rock foundation, and how the sand house fell in a storm. The place where He gave this parable is loose scree or sand on rock. The houses could easily have been adjacent, one man digging in a shallow manner, the other doing the work to dig deeper.

3. I noticed the contradiction in the genealogies, studied it out. When I did so on this one(s) some years ago I did what I typically do, looking at the verses but also some online or offline research both from fundies and skeptics.

4. I knew there was a problem of David being told of an eternal literal kingdom of Israel and Solomon being told his line will be trimmed. Joseph had the paper but not the power. Mary had the purity in terms of a prophecy as early as Genesis that a man-child of Eve's would thwart Satan.

5. How can a descendant of David sit on David's throne through son Nathan when son Solomon really is first in line? By having a son of Solomon adopt a son of Nathan as his first child.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
15-01-2015, 02:42 PM
And Neri's hermaphroditism? I see that your solution for problems seems to be to change facts to fit the answer, including changing a person's sex! That's chutzpah!

Doc
16-01-2015, 03:03 PM
Sorry! Correct to Neri begets a granddaughter through HER...