Biblical guide to hell for small children!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2015, 03:18 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 03:42 AM by Eva.)
Biblical guide to hell for small children!
Here in the UK hell and damnation are not big. I'm sure there are the churches and groups that promote such psychologically damaging ideologies but they are not prevalent. While there are a few evangelical TV channels about they are way down the channel numbers in the land of no ratings and I personally do not know of anybody that actually tunes in for anything more than a quick laugh. So hell and damnation is not a part of everyday life and I am very glad of this.

Today I saw this and am pretty shocked really that such a book would be published by anyone. The note to parents in it says: "I plead with you to… teach your children about hell and the power of God’s wrath. Teach them that Christ is their only hope… Teach them that they are locked in a spiritual cage and that it dangles over the fires of hell."

As a mother I could never have taught my daughter this as she was growing up. To put such horror into her impressionable young mind would have been unthinkable to me (she's 21 now and an atheist...thankfully). I felt guilty lying to her about Santa and was always relieved when she figured out he wasn't real so this kind of nightmare inducing BS would have been impossible for me.

I know that this kind of teaching is out there in the world it is just shocking for me when I see it in black and white, so to speak.

Biblical Hell Guide for Children

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Eva's post
05-06-2015, 03:59 AM
RE: Biblical guide to hell for small children!
There are countless well thought out, thought provoking and intelligent comments to be made on what is wrong with this "children's" book and the ideas and beliefs behind it... However, one thought in particular springs to mind:

What the actual fuck is wrong with these people? Blink

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
[+] 2 users Like LostLegend's post
05-06-2015, 06:35 AM
(05-06-2015 03:18 AM)Eva Wrote:  Here in the UK hell and damnation are not big. I'm sure there are the churches and groups that promote such psychologically damaging ideologies but they are not prevalent. While there are a few evangelical TV channels about they are way down the channel numbers in the land of no ratings and I personally do not know of anybody that actually tunes in for anything more than a quick laugh. So hell and damnation is not a part of everyday life and I am very glad of this.

Today I saw this and am pretty shocked really that such a book would be published by anyone. The note to parents in it says: "I plead with you to… teach your children about hell and the power of God’s wrath. Teach them that Christ is their only hope… Teach them that they are locked in a spiritual cage and that it dangles over the fires of hell."

As a mother I could never have taught my daughter this as she was growing up. To put such horror into her impressionable young mind would have been unthinkable to me (she's 21 now and an atheist...thankfully). I felt guilty lying to her about Santa and was always relieved when she figured out he wasn't real so this kind of nightmare inducing BS would have been impossible for me.

I know that this kind of teaching is out there in the world it is just shocking for me when I see it in black and white, so to speak.

But hey, its tastefully illustrated though!!

Although I dont know any tasteful way of illustrating to a kid they are going to burn and suffer immense pain for eternity.

Maybe they've tasetfully illustrated a naughty atheist kid who demonstrates the torment to the reader.

Fucking lunatics.
05-06-2015, 07:36 AM
I remember being around 8 and going to something for CCD (Catholic religious classes). Mind you--this was something for *children.* The person leading the group was telling the story of God murdering all of the first born in Egypt (Exodus 11):

Moses then said, “Thus says the Lord: About midnight I will go forth through Egypt. Every firstborn in the land of Egypt will die, from the firstborn of Pharaoh who sits on his throne to the firstborn of the slave-girl who is at the handmill, as well as all the firstborn of the animals. Then there will be loud wailing throughout the land of Egypt, such as has never been, nor will ever be again. But among all the Israelites, among human beings and animals alike, not even a dog will growl, so that you may know that the Lord distinguishes between Egypt and Israel. All these servants of yours will then come down to me and bow down before me, saying: Leave, you and all your followers! Then I will depart.” With that he left Pharaoh’s presence in hot anger.

This story was being told to children. I remember going home , crying to my mother, and being so scared that God was going to come and kill me since I was the first born in my family. It really is child abuse--scaring children with hell, God's wrath.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
05-06-2015, 08:19 AM
(05-06-2015 03:18 AM)Eva Wrote:  Here in the UK hell and damnation are not big. I'm sure there are the churches and groups that promote such psychologically damaging ideologies but they are not prevalent. While there are a few evangelical TV channels about they are way down the channel numbers in the land of no ratings and I personally do not know of anybody that actually tunes in for anything more than a quick laugh. So hell and damnation is not a part of everyday life and I am very glad of this.

While I can see this is an horrific dogma to force on children I can at least see the theology that drives it, what I find more disturbing is Western parents pretending that there is nothing wrong with the world and that's it's fine to live in a society built on the subjugation of others, forced labour and poverty wages and other real-life horrors... like it's not there.

I'm not saying scare the daylights out of them at all, there are ways to go about these things. Fairy tales were horrific - children being eaten by wolves, witches being baked in ovens, etc. - to allow children to learn about the horrors of the world in a safe way. To deny them this kind of learning about the society they are about to grow up in and set them off in a world full of vile humanity unprepared is as reprehensible as feeding them brimstone with their cornflakes IMO.

Archi

"I love the term magic realism. It's about expanding how you see the world. I think we live in an age where we're just hammered to think this is what the world is. Everything's saying 'That's the world.' And it's not the world. The world is a million possible things." - TG

Salman Rushdie talks to Terry Gilliam
05-06-2015, 10:31 AM
I'm not shocked. Such book is indeed horrible, though those who publish it either believe this kind of bullshit and/or are making money from this. In either case they have no interest in stopping this.

Also such book show what piece of crap religion really is. Making kids afraid so they believe? It really low, and show that all this is about fear and indoctrination, nothing else, maybe with exception of some sense of community.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
05-06-2015, 02:42 PM
Do you know the difference between faith and fairy tales???

Fairy tales start with - "Once upon a time".
Faith starts with - "In the beginning".

Past that, and they're indistinguishable.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
05-06-2015, 02:46 PM
Oh hell no. Now that's some Eff'd up shitake!!!! Gasp

**Crickets** -- God
05-06-2015, 03:14 PM
(05-06-2015 03:18 AM)Eva Wrote:  As a mother I could never have taught my daughter this as she was growing up. To put such horror into her impressionable young mind would have been unthinkable to me (she's 21 now and an atheist...thankfully). I felt guilty lying to her about Santa and was always relieved when she figured out he wasn't real so this kind of nightmare inducing BS would have been impossible for me.

When you taught your daughter about Santa, you knew you were lying. I'm sure a lot of parents actually believe that hell is real....they don't think they're lying.

If you knew of a cliff (or some other danger), you wouldn't be a good parent if you didn't warn your children of that danger. Many parents simply believe that they are warning their children of a real threat. Now, if the parents are actually atheists and only using religion to manipulate their children, that's a different story, but most of these parents believe they are doing good (if hell is real, then perhaps they are actually doing good, or what most people would consider to be good).

I guess my point is, they're not what most would consider to be bad people, they're just wrong about god and heaven and hell.
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post
05-06-2015, 03:20 PM
(05-06-2015 03:14 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 03:18 AM)Eva Wrote:  As a mother I could never have taught my daughter this as she was growing up. To put such horror into her impressionable young mind would have been unthinkable to me (she's 21 now and an atheist...thankfully). I felt guilty lying to her about Santa and was always relieved when she figured out he wasn't real so this kind of nightmare inducing BS would have been impossible for me.

When you taught your daughter about Santa, you knew you were lying. I'm sure a lot of parents actually believe that hell is real....they don't think they're lying.

If you knew of a cliff (or some other danger), you wouldn't be a good parent if you didn't warn your children of that danger. Many parents simply believe that they are warning their children of a real threat. Now, if the parents are actually atheists and only using religion to manipulate their children, that's a different story, but most of these parents believe they are doing good (if hell is real, then perhaps they are actually doing good, or what most people would consider to be good).

I guess my point is, they're not what most would consider to be bad people, they're just wrong about god and heaven and hell.

I agree, I think religious parents are trying to help their children by giving them a good religious foundation in what they believe to be true. If a parent fears hell and wants to go to heaven--they think they are protecting their children by teaching them their belief system.