Biblical hermeneutics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2015, 01:35 PM
Biblical hermeneutics
Does anyone have a good definition on the above? A good theist friend threw this at me recently, as a way to "interpret" the bible. I believe somewhere in the bible it is stated that scripture is to be understood easily by plain language. Biblical hermeneutics sounds like it can be used as another tool for apologetics. What say anyone?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2015, 01:39 PM
RE: Biblical hermeneutics
(16-05-2015 01:35 PM)DeaconJones75 Wrote:  Does anyone have a good definition on the above? A good theist friend threw this at me recently, as a way to "interpret" the bible. I believe somewhere in the bible it is stated that scripture is to be understood easily by plain language. Biblical hermeneutics sounds like it can be used as another tool for apologetics. What say anyone?

Well, here's what they say on the gotquestions site:

http://www.gotquestions.org/Biblical-hermeneutics.html
16-05-2015, 01:47 PM
(16-05-2015 01:39 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(16-05-2015 01:35 PM)DeaconJones75 Wrote:  Does anyone have a good definition on the above? A good theist friend threw this at me recently, as a way to "interpret" the bible. I believe somewhere in the bible it is stated that scripture is to be understood easily by plain language. Biblical hermeneutics sounds like it can be used as another tool for apologetics. What say anyone?

Well, here's what they say on the gotquestions site:

From that site:
"Biblical hermeneutics is the science of properly interpreting the various types of literature found in the Bible."

[Image: tumblr_lfnhsyEcKf1qctj37.gif~c200]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
16-05-2015, 01:50 PM
(16-05-2015 01:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-05-2015 01:39 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Well, here's what they say on the gotquestions site:

From that site:
"Biblical hermeneutics is the science of properly interpreting the various types of literature found in the Bible."

[Image: tumblr_lfnhsyEcKf1qctj37.gif~c200]

Hey, I didn't say it made sense Tongue
16-05-2015, 02:02 PM

On a side note, there is a passage in the Bible about it being able to be understood (although the passage escapes me at the moment--did some drinking last night and still in recuperation mode lol). Here is the reality: The Bible cannot be understood by just anyone who decides to just pick it up and read it. In order to understand the Bible, you need to be familiar with the culture it was written in, familiar with the history and goings on of the time, and familiar with literary devices. Not too mention, the contradiction, after contradiction, after contradiction...
16-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Biblical hermeneutics is the analysis of principles of interpretation concerning the books of the Bible.

Or in laymans terms = harmonizing the shit out of everything so that you can still have faith and believe that Joshua de Christos died for your sins so that you might live forever with him in heaven. Hallelujah!!!!!
[+] 4 users Like Tonechaser77's post
16-05-2015, 02:07 PM
(16-05-2015 02:05 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  Biblical hermeneutics is the analysis of principles of interpretation concerning the books of the Bible.

Or in laymans terms = harmonizing the shit out of everything so that you can still have faith and believe that Joshua de Christos died for your sins so that you might live forever with him in heaven. Hallelujah!!!!!

Or that...Tongue
16-05-2015, 02:10 PM
(16-05-2015 02:02 PM)jennybee Wrote:  

On a side note, there is a passage in the Bible about it being able to be understood (although the passage escapes me at the moment--did some drinking last night and still in recuperation mode lol). Here is the reality: The Bible cannot be understood by just anyone who decides to just pick it up and read it. In order to understand the Bible, you need to be familiar with the culture it was written in, familiar with the history and goings on of the time, and familiar with literary devices. Not too mention, the contradiction, after contradiction, after contradiction...

Bible is like any other book when one does not think about it being word of god. It's easy to understand, only apologetics try to make it hard by saying about metaphorical meaning of god cruel deeds. As for contradictions when one does not see Bible as holy book then answer is simple - different authors and shitty editoring.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
16-05-2015, 02:29 PM
Just tell him you are an expert on Herman Munster, but you never met Herman Eutics.
It's bullshit. It's a subject cooked up to ensure orthodoxy and a course that seminaries which need money can charge for, instead of actually hiring real Biblical schoalrs, who would be a real threat to their various cults. It's a fancy word for "crap". Cool

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
16-05-2015, 02:43 PM
(16-05-2015 02:29 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Just tell him you are an expert on Herman Munster, but you never met Herman Eutics.
It's bullshit. It's a subject cooked up to ensure orthodoxy and a course that seminaries which need money can charge for, instead of actually hiring real Biblical schoalrs, who would be a real threat to their various cults. It's a fancy word for "crap". Cool
Yeah, the Herman Munster thing popped into my head too. As far as interpreting scripture, the various new testament quotes, I believe in 3 of the 4 gospels, that instructs followers to ask for anything in the Lord's (or Jesus') name will be given to said follower is very straight forward. How in the world would hermeneutics spin this crap? "Dear J, please remove my liver cancer in your name. Oh shit, I still have cancer, and I now have a month to live." Isn't this the promise these scriptures make, that obviously doesn't work? How would hermeneutics deal with this?