Biblical hermeneutics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2015, 11:38 PM
RE: Biblical hermeneutics
If you want an honest, technical definition...

... a hermeneutic is some method of interpreting the Bible in an effort to understand what it is saying. Hermeneutics as a field is the study of all these individual hermeneutics, and the ability to compare them and perhaps identify which ones are superior to others.

Technically, textual analysis is a hermeneutic. So is linguistic dating (I think that means a date where you kiss with tongue) and interpreting the whole damn thing as metaphor or allegory.

In PRACTICE, a whole bunch of churches and movements settle on their own, official, pet hermeneutic policy, making it official doctrine of "this is how to interpret the Bible". This will vary from church to church and organization to organization, but common hermeneutics include literal inerrancy, no contradictions, direct quotes of Christ superceding everything else, and more recent passages superseding older ones. (But again, no contradictions.)

What they often won't tell you is that there are many different hermeneutics. Instead, if asked, they will present their own official hermeneutics as the one true science of Biblical study, with no mention of anything else.

It's kind of like abstinence-only sex ed, only with Biblical interpretation.

(16-05-2015 04:12 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  My definition is

"the art of making the bible say what you would like it to say"

But is it art?

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
17-05-2015, 06:38 AM
Article on the plain meaning of scripture. The author, I think, is saying that ivory tower interpretation is alot of nonsense, and only perspicuity, and not hermeneutics, should be applied. Even xtians can't make up their minds on this issue, which I would say is of paramount importance if they can't even agree on how to interpret their holy book:

http://www.theologynetwork.org/biblical-...ipture.htm
[+] 1 user Likes DeaconJones75's post
17-05-2015, 07:02 AM
Sorry, but only historical scholarship can expose the reasons the texts were written. The texts were mostly politically motivated, and "plain reading" tells us nothing.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid200852

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
17-05-2015, 05:23 PM
(16-05-2015 04:12 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  My definition is

"the art of making the bible say what you would like it to say"

Mark for the win.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post