Biblical interpretations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Biblical interpretations
This probably has been discused on one of the threads with 100's and 100's of pages (which are difficult to follow).

Long before "giving up on faith" (when I started wondering, doubting and questioning) I asked myself and others "why you believe what your pastor says about that?", to which the usual response "God inspires him so he knows how to interpretate the bible" comes up.

Then I ask "how do you know that is actually true when thousands of other people/pastors/priests/etc claim the same thing and yet they differ on many things, even within the same religion?"

I have never recieved an answer for that question. not that I will start "believing" again just because I get a convincent answer, but I want to know what the theists (and non-theists of course) on the forum think about that.

if your faith can move mountains it should be able to withstand criticism
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SomeOne's post
27-08-2012, 04:56 PM
RE: Biblical interpretations
(27-08-2012 04:48 PM)SomeOne Wrote:  This probably has been discused on one of the threads with 100's and 100's of pages (which are difficult to follow).

Long before "giving up on faith" (when I started wondering, doubting and questioning) I asked myself and others "why you believe what your pastor says about that?", to which the usual response "God inspires him so he knows how to interpretate the bible" comes up.

Then I ask "how do you know that is actually true when thousands of other people/pastors/priests/etc claim the same thing and yet they differ on many things, even within the same religion?"

I have never recieved an answer for that question. not that I will start "believing" again just because I get a convincent answer, but I want to know what the theists (and non-theists of course) on the forum think about that.
Two words: Confirmation bias.

More complex version is people believe what they want to believe, and hold onto people and see things that confirm what they want to believe.
[+] 2 users Like elemts's post
27-08-2012, 06:05 PM
(27-08-2012 04:48 PM)SomeOne Wrote:  This probably has been discused on one of the threads with 100's and 100's of pages (which are difficult to follow).

A combination of argumentum ad populum, appeal to authority, argument from ignorance, and recursive logic (circular reasoning).

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
28-08-2012, 04:54 AM
I've asked the same thing myself in regards to "talking to God". So many people claim to do it, but when you ask a protestant why God doesn't tell those Catholics that they're worshiping Him wrong (or ask a Catholic why He hasn't corrected the protestants), the usual response is "they don't actually talk to God". That begs the question: How would you know if you're talking to God? It's not as if God ever gives those who "talk to Him" revelations that a person couldn't know otherwise. Nor does God ever tell them the "knock-down argument" that will convince us non-believers. You'd think that's important information that all apologists would ask for at least once.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
28-08-2012, 08:07 AM
...this looks like a job for your friendly neighborhood forum prophet. Big Grin

Ya don't "talk to god," ya get infused with Holy Spirit - which is, dollars to donuts, a form of psychic break - involving simultaneity, insanity, and requiring six years to make heads or tales of... so!

What's really going on has been mentioned. Conformation bias, appeal to authority, charisma, and herd mentality. God pretty much don't give a fuck. Big Grin

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post