Biblical literacy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Biblical literacy
Am I the only person here who thinks that who ever wrote the gospels wanted us to understand em literally and people who make tortured interpretations are stupid?
I think when the dude wrote about 6 days creation he actually mean 6 days. And people like WLC are making their own new religion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post
24-02-2014, 09:47 PM
RE: Biblical literacy
(24-02-2014 09:36 PM)donotwant Wrote:  Am I the only person here who thinks that who ever wrote the gospels wanted us to understand em literally and people who make tortured interpretations are stupid?
I think when the dude wrote about 6 days creation he actually mean 6 days. And people like WLC are making their own new religion.

You are actually still giving too much credit. The Gospels were never meant to be studied, they were faith documents meant to be read to the group reminding them what they already believed. Also the 6 day creation is in the OT not the Gospels which are the first 4 books of the NT.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
24-02-2014, 09:54 PM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2014 09:58 PM by donotwant.)
So gospels are only the ones which were written by jesus disciples? All right.
Then I am talking about bible as a whole.
24-02-2014, 10:06 PM
I think a literal interpretation and thinking those who claim otherwise are idiots is the norm, actually. At least, outside of religious people.
24-02-2014, 10:08 PM
(24-02-2014 10:06 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I think a literal interpretation and thinking those who claim otherwise are idiots is the norm, actually. At least, outside of religious people.

Outside of religious people? Well I am constantly being told by religious people that I understand bible wrong.
And everyone of those people has his own interpretation. One dude even said that when bible talked about hell it really talked about mental illness. Whats up with that?
24-02-2014, 10:21 PM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2014 10:31 PM by CleverUsername.)
(24-02-2014 10:08 PM)donotwant Wrote:  
(24-02-2014 10:06 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I think a literal interpretation and thinking those who claim otherwise are idiots is the norm, actually. At least, outside of religious people.

Outside of religious people? Well I am constantly being told by religious people that I understand bible wrong.
And everyone of those people has his own interpretation. One dude even said that when bible talked about hell it really talked about mental illness. Whats up with that?

Well, yeah, they have to twist things into preztels or else their holy book doesn't make sense and they can't have that now can they? But you asked if you were "the only person here", so I assumed you were mainly referring to nonbelievers.
24-02-2014, 10:21 PM
(24-02-2014 09:54 PM)donotwant Wrote:  So gospels are only the ones which were written by jesus disciples? All right.
Then I am talking about bible as a whole.

They were not written by Disciples but yeah only the first 4 books of the NT are Gospels. Much like the first 5 books of the Hebrew Bible are the Torah.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
24-02-2014, 10:22 PM
Yeah but you get my point. I think bible as a whole was written to be understood literally no matter old or new TS.
24-02-2014, 10:28 PM
(24-02-2014 09:36 PM)donotwant Wrote:  Am I the only person here who thinks that who ever wrote the gospels wanted us to understand em literally and people who make tortured interpretations are stupid?

Considering all the obvious symbolism in them, no, I don't think they were intended to be read literally, but neither were they intended to be studied like some kind of puzzle. The readers were expected to understand the symbolism, as it was all Jewish and contemporary.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
24-02-2014, 10:31 PM
(24-02-2014 10:28 PM)toadaly Wrote:  

Considering all the obvious symbolism in them, no, I don't think they were intended to be read literally, but neither were they intended to be studied like some kind of puzzle. The readers were expected to understand the symbolism, as it was all Jewish and contemporary.

So what did the bible mean by hell?