Biblical literacy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2014, 10:47 PM
RE: Biblical literacy
(24-02-2014 10:31 PM)donotwant Wrote:  
(24-02-2014 10:28 PM)toadaly Wrote:  Considering all the obvious symbolism in them, no, I don't think they were intended to be read literally, but neither were they intended to be studied like some kind of puzzle. The readers were expected to understand the symbolism, as it was all Jewish and contemporary.

So what did the bible mean by hell?

The word 'hell' doesn't actually show up in the ancient Greek or Hebrew. There is a reference to Hades, and another to Tartarus in the New Testament, but these were part of the Greek underworld, and had very little in common with the modern concept of hell. The original word "Sheol" in the Old Testament was arbitrarily translated into 'hell' about half the time, as the King James translators saw fit. Sheol was a very similar mythology to Hades - it was dreary, but no torturous, and often understood to be a symbolic and flowery descritpion for the state of being dead - and not an actual afterlife.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2014, 10:50 PM
Revelation 20:15 “If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire”

Now what did he mean by this?
24-02-2014, 10:55 PM
Quote:So gospels are only the ones which were written by jesus disciples?

The gospels were written anonymously and the names were attached in the late 2d century when the concept of apostolic succession rose to prominence in the early church.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
24-02-2014, 10:57 PM
(24-02-2014 10:55 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:So gospels are only the ones which were written by jesus disciples?

The gospels were written anonymously and the names were attached in the late 2d century when the concept of apostolic succession rose to prominence in the early church.

I don't give a fuck who wrote em. My point was that whoever wrote everything that is in the bible meant it literally.
24-02-2014, 11:04 PM
I should think that would be obvious. Early Xtians were not the intelligentsia of society who were capable of understanding deep philosophical texts.

24-02-2014, 11:08 PM
(24-02-2014 09:36 PM)donotwant Wrote:  Am I the only person here who thinks that who ever wrote the gospels wanted us to understand em literally and people who make tortured interpretations are stupid?
I think when the dude wrote about 6 days creation he actually mean 6 days. And people like WLC are making their own new religion.

Facepalm
Creation is not apart of the gospels.

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
24-02-2014, 11:09 PM
(24-02-2014 11:04 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  I should think that would be obvious. Early Xtians were not the intelligentsia of society who were capable of understanding deep philosophical texts.

Because for instance if hell would not be eternal punishment why write that it is an eternal punishment and a lake of fire with gnashing teeth and no rest?
I think if they actually meant that christians go to heaven and non christians stop existing they would say it instead.
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post
24-02-2014, 11:10 PM
(24-02-2014 11:08 PM)Drich Wrote:  Creation is not apart of the gospels.

When are you going to go learn some English ?
a part...NOT apart. You KEEP doing that, ignoramus.
Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
24-02-2014, 11:26 PM
(24-02-2014 11:09 PM)donotwant Wrote:  
(24-02-2014 11:04 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  I should think that would be obvious. Early Xtians were not the intelligentsia of society who were capable of understanding deep philosophical texts.

Because for instance if hell would not be eternal punishment why write that it is an eternal punishment and a lake of fire with gnashing teeth and no rest?
I think if they actually meant that christians go to heaven and non christians stop existing they would say it instead.

Probably a bad example. You might find this interesting.

http://www.earlychristianhistory.net/hell.html

Quote:The theology of Hell actually grew probably starting in the 5th century, or perhaps later, in western Europe. The Gospel of Nicodemus, a grand early advanced vision of Hell, was in Latin and thus likely written in the central or western Empire. Many changes entered Christianity when it expanded westward, such as a greater emphasis on the priesthood and hierarchy. The great eastern Church Fathers, on the other hand, were relatively unconcerned with it. We see mention of Hell in works such as those of Tertullian (especially in De spectaculis), but we must remember he was a Carthaginian, or central-empire Christian, and not from the east as so many others were.

24-02-2014, 11:28 PM
(24-02-2014 10:50 PM)donotwant Wrote:  Revelation 20:15 “If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire”

Now what did he mean by this?

Consider that Revelation also states that Hades would be thrown into the lake of fire. IMHO, the lake of fire is symbolic for complete anihilation, but who really knows? The author was recording a vision, probably induced by drugs.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.