(24-02-2014 11:08 PM)Drich Wrote:  Facepalm
Creation is not apart of the gospels.

...and the Vulgate was not a translation into a dead language. Facepalm

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2014, 07:21 AM
RE: Biblical literacy
(24-02-2014 09:54 PM)donotwant Wrote:  So gospels are only the ones which were written by jesus disciples?

Not quite. The Gospels are the four books in the New Testament written about Jesus' supposed life on earth. Most of the NT are the Epistles, which are the letters written by Paul (and some other author(s) pretending to be him, but mostly Paul) to various congregations.

Also, note that when people say "the Gospels", they're almost certainly talking about the four that made it into "official" biblical canon (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John), and not any of the many others that didn't make the cut (The Gospel of Thomas, The Gospel of Truth, The Secret Gospel of John, etc...).
25-02-2014, 07:26 AM
No, they aren't meant to be taken as accurate and literal histories of the real world. The people who wrote at that time did not have that concept. The idea of objective history is a very recent phenomenon. The writers of the bible never intended their work to be read that way.
25-02-2014, 07:42 AM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2014 09:26 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(24-02-2014 10:57 PM)donotwant Wrote:  
(24-02-2014 10:55 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  The gospels were written anonymously and the names were attached in the late 2d century when the concept of apostolic succession rose to prominence in the early church.

I don't give a fuck who wrote em. My point was that whoever wrote everything that is in the bible meant it literally.

Totally wrong. That is simply ignorance of ancient literature in general, and Hebrew literature in particular. Are you for real ? There are many forms of literature encompassed in the texts that came to be included in the Bible, many of them poetic and symbolic. The Hebrews did not even have a word for "history". There were hundred of books of Revelation, (besides the one that was VOTED, NON-UNANIMOUSLY into the canon). Your slapping YOUR modern "presentist" interpretation on ancient literature, (which you clearly know NOTHING about) is a flawed enterprise. Your opinion on the matter is uneducated and irrelevant. Some dude, probably high on mushrooms, writes some shit 2000 years ago, and YOU are actually worried about it..and clearly you are VERY worried about it. Get real. The Hebrews did not believe in life after death, nor heaven nor hell. Sheol (where they thought the dead went) was NOT where Yahweh lived. If YOU are "interpreting" *lake of fire* then YOU are NOT taking it "literally". Lakes of fire were GREEK apocalyptic notions of the end times. Why should ignorant humans from 2000 years ago inform modern people ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presentism_...nalysis%29

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
25-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Throughout the years of church history, a literal translation of Genesis was understood; however, it was not taken literally (read the writings of Augustine). It wasn't until the cultish behavior of Ellen G. White in the mid 1800s that YEC started to creep its way into Christian theology. Now, YEC has its unevolved tentacles wrapped tightly around fundamental Christianity.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
25-02-2014, 09:08 PM
(25-02-2014 03:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Throughout the years of church history, a literal translation of Genesis was understood; however, it was not taken literally (read the writings of Augustine). It wasn't until the cultish behavior of Ellen G. White in the mid 1800s that YEC started to creep its way into Christian theology. Now, YEC has its unevolved tentacles wrapped tightly around fundamental Christianity.
It's funny since the Millerites and later SDAs were considered a cult by conservative Christians. I've known a few SDAs. They are out there.
26-02-2014, 06:36 AM
(24-02-2014 09:54 PM)donotwant Wrote:  So gospels are only the ones which were written by jesus disciples? All right.
Then I am talking about bible as a whole.
Maybe you should get some Biblical literacy before starting a thread on it. Just sayin...
26-02-2014, 06:49 AM
Maybe we could track down the batshit crazy lady from my flight? I'm sure she fancies herself a *bible scholar*.

Hobo

According to what I've read, heard, etc - there's No Right Way to interpret the Bible - which gives it it's *hope* factor AND makes it nonsense at the same time.
Taaaa DaaaaFacepalm
It's the ultimate double-edged sword. And as far as people making any sort of religion based upon their interpretation - well - that's just straight-assed normal thing to do with that book. Par for the course. PAR for the course.

Drinking Beverage

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
26-02-2014, 06:54 AM
(26-02-2014 06:36 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(24-02-2014 09:54 PM)donotwant Wrote:  So gospels are only the ones which were written by jesus disciples? All right.
Then I am talking about bible as a whole.
Maybe you should get some Biblical literacy before starting a thread on it. Just sayin...

Yo, AlphaMut,

(1) Are you still here?

(2) Anyone's allowed to ask any kind of question they want here. You're a guest here. This isn't YOUR house. You don't make the rules.

Someone please put this dog back out in the yard, please. Sure, sure give him a biscuit but put him outside.

26-02-2014, 07:03 AM
(25-02-2014 03:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Throughout the years of church history, a literal translation of Genesis was understood; however, it was not taken literally (read the writings of Augustine). It wasn't until the cultish behavior of Ellen G. White in the mid 1800s that YEC started to creep its way into Christian theology. Now, YEC has its unevolved tentacles wrapped tightly around fundamental Christianity.

I always did believe that until the mid 1800s for even older scholars of the bible to simply say "This we take on faith" instead of trying to make arguments for zombies, earth 6 day creation, pillars of salt, and world floods with ONE guy and a boat - made So much more sense. Just saying "well they may have meant.....xyz but we take on faith xyz " makes SO much more sense.
It was supposed to be GOD-like, beyond epic, not meant for mere mortal men to interpret and much less reveal......... right?
Reduced to who says what means what (with introduction of YEC) just made a mess of an already potential mess if you ask me. Should have left it at *awe* level - yanno where a GOD might actually BE involved.
Evil_monster

[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post