Biblical scholar claims Jesus was a fabrication

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2014, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2014 11:10 AM by Im_Ryan.)
RE: Biblical scholar claims Jesus was a fabrication
(19-02-2014 07:50 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 07:38 AM)Youkay Wrote:  But it is newbie-unfriendly. And a forum should be welcoming to new members.

I really do not care if you have talked about a topic already. You do not have to contribute to this thread, if you do not like to. Maybe rampant wants to talk about this topic again, and maybe there are other members, who did not have the chance to talk on this topic. Maybe they want to venture to another direction than what was discussed previously. Do you wish to take this away from them? Are you seriously suggesting to silence a thread because there is a similar one? Please...

You have a very defensive attitude for no reason.

It's far from silencing anyone, it's rather suggestions. If you create a thread also without any personal input, purely a quote and link, you're not demonstrating an open format

If someone wonders why they're not getting a thread to work as they thought they would, there's answers to be given that are meant to inform.

Not to derail the thread, but I have to side with YouKay. It is not the member's fault that s/he doesn't know what s/he is doing. It's the internet, some people are bound to not know how to use a forum (or just be lazy). If this is really a reoccurring issue, then it's a failure of the site admins/mods, not the newbs because they are:

Not [effectively] explaining to new members how you want the forum to work
-and/or-
Not enforcing the rules.

There's a warning system for a reason on this site. Grow up and use it, no need to be harsh. Start with a verbal warning, then escalate for further offenses. It's not that difficult.

Side note to any admins/mods reading this:
Would just like to be clear: I am simply stating that it is your duties to run the forums and keep it the way you want it. It is not the member's duty to figure it out (no matter how trivial). A good admin/mod will recognize the wide variety of users that could potentially be a part of the site and plan accordingly. This will include "newbs".

This is just my experience, take it or leave it.

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
19-02-2014, 11:20 AM
(19-02-2014 11:02 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 07:50 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  You have a very defensive attitude for no reason.

It's far from silencing anyone, it's rather suggestions. If you create a thread also without any personal input, purely a quote and link, you're not demonstrating an open format

If someone wonders why they're not getting a thread to work as they thought they would, there's answers to be given that are meant to inform.

Not to derail the thread, but I have to side with YouKay. It is not the member's fault that s/he doesn't know what s/he is doing. It's the internet, some people are bound to not know how to use a forum (or just be lazy). If this is really a reoccurring issue, then it's a failure of the site admins/mods, not the newbs because they are:

Not [effectively] explaining to new members how you want the forum to work
-and/or-
Not enforcing the rules.

There's a warning system for a reason on this site. Grow up and use it, no need to be harsh. Start with a verbal warning, then escalate for further offenses. It's not that difficult.

Side note to any admins/mods reading this:
Would just like to be clear: I am simply stating that it is your duties to run the forums and keep it the way you want it. It is not the member's duty to figure it out (no matter how trivial). A good admin/mod will recognize the wide variety of users that could potentially be a part of the site and plan accordingly. This will include "newbs".

This is just my experience, take it or leave it.

As part of the forum team it has long been decided to let the community police itself on this. You are all adults act like it, Youkay deciding to white knight doesn't make his position any more correct than Bucky insisting that he should have given a cursory glance at previous topics. There is a fine line here since most topics can be brought up several times (it is a rather limited focus in this subforum) but 1 particular "scholar" who has been discussed to death doesn't need an infinite number of threads. Tactfully Buck should have given a link to the last Atwill thread but over moderation is not a solution to this.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
19-02-2014, 11:33 AM
(19-02-2014 11:20 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  As part of the forum team it has long been decided to let the community police itself on this. You are all adults act like it, Youkay deciding to white knight doesn't make his position any more correct than Bucky insisting that he should have given a cursory glance at previous topics. There is a fine line here since most topics can be brought up several times (it is a rather limited focus in this subforum) but 1 particular "scholar" who has been discussed to death doesn't need an infinite number of threads. Tactfully Buck should have given a link to the last Atwill thread but over moderation is not a solution to this.

Honestly it's not really a problem. Yes I agree that I found the white knight attitude a bit pretentious (no offense), but I'm more on that side.
If the mods agree to let us police ourselves, so be it. It's not my responsibility to tell you guys how to run the forum.
Though, I was not suggesting "over moderation". That's an exaggeration. I was simply stating that if it this is a problem, then step in. (Hint, what the report button is for; to help make the mods life easier)
Once again, this was directed at ClydeLee, not anyone else. I would assume the mods and admins already know this.

Atir aissom atir imon
19-02-2014, 11:53 AM
(19-02-2014 11:33 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 11:20 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  As part of the forum team it has long been decided to let the community police itself on this. You are all adults act like it, Youkay deciding to white knight doesn't make his position any more correct than Bucky insisting that he should have given a cursory glance at previous topics. There is a fine line here since most topics can be brought up several times (it is a rather limited focus in this subforum) but 1 particular "scholar" who has been discussed to death doesn't need an infinite number of threads. Tactfully Buck should have given a link to the last Atwill thread but over moderation is not a solution to this.

Honestly it's not really a problem. Yes I agree that I found the white knight attitude a bit pretentious (no offense), but I'm more on that side.
If the mods agree to let us police ourselves, so be it. It's not my responsibility to tell you guys how to run the forum.
Though, I was not suggesting "over moderation". That's an exaggeration. I was simply stating that if it this is a problem, then step in. (Hint, what the report button is for; to help make the mods life easier)
Once again, this was directed at ClydeLee, not anyone else. I would assume the mods and admins already know this.

Was just clarifying. Also that report post function usually results in no action unless one of our 5 rules have been broken. Outside of the PI&S forum it is generally expected that this is more or less anything goes (within as few restrictions as we can make due to legal reasons) as to the over moderation comment that is just how we do things here we feel like as little moderation as possible is the best course most of the time. We would rather under moderate than over moderate.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
19-02-2014, 01:31 PM
(19-02-2014 11:53 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Was just clarifying. Also that report post function usually results in no action unless one of our 5 rules have been broken. Outside of the PI&S forum it is generally expected that this is more or less anything goes (within as few restrictions as we can make due to legal reasons) as to the over moderation comment that is just how we do things here we feel like as little moderation as possible is the best course most of the time. We would rather under moderate than over moderate.

I totally understand, don't get me wrong. This is all an "if-then" scenario. I'm not attempting to explain anything to the admins/mods, more to the people that don't understand how all this works. I've been moderating forums for gaming sites for years, ranging from heavily moderated to no moderation at all (except for legal jargin). It all depends on what the admins want the site to be; which is what I'm saying: if you don't like the site, or have issues with the site, then take it up with the admins/mods, not the members.

Another apology to rampant for the hijack.

Atir aissom atir imon
19-02-2014, 01:33 PM
(19-02-2014 01:31 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Another apology to rampant for the hijack.

Our discussion is far more enlightening than anything that could be said about Atwill. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
19-02-2014, 01:37 PM
(19-02-2014 01:33 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 01:31 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Another apology to rampant for the hijack.

Our discussion is far more enlightening than anything that could be said about Atwill. Thumbsup

Laugh out load
I'm inclined to agree, though still, the principle is that we hijacked the thread. So I am sorry.

Atir aissom atir imon
19-02-2014, 03:20 PM
(19-02-2014 01:37 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 01:33 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Our discussion is far more enlightening than anything that could be said about Atwill. Thumbsup

Laugh out load
I'm inclined to agree, though still, the principle is that we hijacked the thread. So I am sorry.

At this point one should never apologize for derailing or highjacking any Atwill or Ellis thread.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
19-02-2014, 04:42 PM
(19-02-2014 03:20 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 01:37 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Laugh out load

At this point one should never apologize for derailing or highjacking any Atwill or Ellis thread.

Like I said, matter of principle.

Atir aissom atir imon