Bicycling!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2017, 01:49 PM
Bicycling!
Who here is into bicycling? What and where do you like to ride?

I prefer dirt roads and single track. I ride a Surly Wednesday and a Specialized Hardrock hard tail. My favorite places to ride are Sedona, Moab and anywhere in Colorado. I hate riding on the road with cars, so you'll most likely see me on remote back roads and trails. I've really gotten into bike packing in the last two years. I love the freedom of having everything you need to survive and have fun and the ability to go where you want and not having to worry about getting back before dark. It's the best thing in the world.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
06-05-2017, 02:05 PM
RE: Bicycling!
(06-05-2017 01:49 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Who here is into bicycling? What and where do you like to ride?

I prefer dirt roads and single track. I ride a Surly Wednesday and a Specialized Hardrock hard tail. My favorite places to ride are Sedona, Moab and anywhere in Colorado. I hate riding on the road with cars, so you'll most likely see me on remote back roads and trails. I've really gotten into bike packing in the last two years. I love the freedom of having everything you need to survive and have fun and the ability to go where you want and not having to worry about getting back before dark. It's the best thing in the world.

Hi,

Sounds great. Smile

Just bought a Saris Bones to get me and the mountain bike out on the moors and woods. Mine is a little ali special with no suspension, light as possible.

Thought about an electric MB but there feels something wrong with the whole concept, maybe commuter OK?

D.
06-05-2017, 02:17 PM
(06-05-2017 02:05 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 01:49 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Who here is into bicycling? What and where do you like to ride?

Hi,

Sounds great. Smile

Just bought a Saris Bones to get me and the mountain bike out on the moors and woods. Mine is a little ali special with no suspension, light as possible.

Thought about an electric MB but there feels something wrong with the whole concept, maybe commuter OK?

D.

You're in England? I've seen a lot of videos of riding in England and it looks so beautiful there. It reminds me a lot of the Shenandoah Valley in my native Virginia. The closest thing we have here to riding on moors is the high country above treeline in the tundra.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
06-05-2017, 02:22 PM
(06-05-2017 02:05 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  

Hi,

Sounds great. Smile

D.

My son and I went for a ride last night in Penitente Canyon here in Colorado. Temps were perfect. We rode at dusk and stayed out until full dark, using our lights to get back. Beautiful. All the cactus are blooming now. Have to be on the lookout for Rattlesnakes now that it is getting warm at low elevations. Something hit my back and I'm not sure but I think it was Bat poop. That would be a first. There were all kinds of Bats flying around us.

06-05-2017, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2017 02:51 PM by jennybee.)
I prefer mountain biking (I have a Diamondback), but I also like scenic bike rides along a canal or some other pretty scenic route on occasion. There are lots of trails here where I live in CA and with the warm temps, it's an activity you can really do all year round. Tahoe is my fave!
06-05-2017, 02:34 PM

Bike packing sounds really fun--would love to try this!
06-05-2017, 03:06 PM
I do quite a bit of road biking, there's a convenient lake trail close to where I live, it's a circuit of 15.2 miles from my house and around the lake.

The trail links up to other trails, I once did two trails together for a 31 mile trip.

It's a nice addition to an overall fitness-oriented lifestyle.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
06-05-2017, 03:38 PM
Bicycling is one of my passions, but unlike most in this thread, I strongly prefer road riding, for three reasons: (1) I like riding the bike, but I don't like cleaning it, and you can't ride offroad without getting the bike dirty; (2) Riding on trails is too much work -- riding on pavement is much more efficient; (3) When I get away from roads and civilization, I want to do so completely. I want to go slowly and without mechanical help, and as quietly as possible, and that means hiking -- another one of my passions.

I have a Cannondale hybrid bike that I use for commuting, and a very expensive, very high-end Serotta Ottrott road bike that I use for recreational riding on the weekends. I have put thousands of miles on this bike, including a 162-mile day (also very hilly). I prefer hilly terrain to flat (I like the challenge of climbing the hills, and the exhilaration of descending, and the views from the hilltops are great), and fortunately, I live in southwest Wisconsin, where there are lots of hills (but no mountains).

Back in 2008, I did a 17-day tour of Colorado with Timberline Adventures. Other than the fact that we had to ride on some busy roads (including I-70 for 4 miles!) because Colorado doesn't have the kind of secondary road system that Wisconsin does, that was a fantastic experience. Rocky Mountain National Park is one of my favorite places on earth, and riding through it over Trail Ridge Road was the bomb! I also liked the stretch between Steamboat Springs and Glenwood Springs, which included some of the best scenery I've ever seen.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
06-05-2017, 04:44 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2017 04:50 PM by jennybee.)
(06-05-2017 03:38 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Bicycling is one of my passions, but unlike most in this thread, I strongly prefer road riding, for three reasons: (1) I like riding the bike, but I don't like cleaning it, and you can't ride offroad without getting the bike dirty; (2) Riding on trails is too much work -- riding on pavement is much more efficient; (3) When I get away from roads and civilization, I want to do so completely. I want to go slowly and without mechanical help, and as quietly as possible, and that means hiking -- another one of my passions.

I have a Cannondale hybrid bike that I use for commuting, and a very expensive, very high-end Serotta Ottrott road bike that I use for recreational riding on the weekends. I have put thousands of miles on this bike, including a 162-mile day (also very hilly). I prefer hilly terrain to flat (I like the challenge of climbing the hills, and the exhilaration of descending, and the views from the hilltops are great), and fortunately, I live in southwest Wisconsin, where there are lots of hills (but no mountains).

Back in 2008, I did a 17-day tour of Colorado with Timberline Adventures. Other than the fact that we had to ride on some busy roads (including I-70 for 4 miles!) because Colorado doesn't have the kind of secondary road system that Wisconsin does, that was a fantastic experience. Rocky Mountain National Park is one of my favorite places on earth, and riding through it over Trail Ridge Road was the bomb! I also liked the stretch between Steamboat Springs and Glenwood Springs, which included some of the best scenery I've ever seen.

The 17-day tour of Colorado sounds amazing! How did you like going with Timberline Adventures as opposed to creating your own itinerary?
06-05-2017, 05:06 PM
(06-05-2017 02:34 PM)jennybee Wrote:  

Bike packing sounds really fun--would love to try this!
It is. I wish I had discovered it years ago but it has just recently taken off with the development of soft bags for the bike. You no longer have to
Have big bulky panniers and racks. The weight is kept in line with the centerline of the bike and so handling is much better. The thing I like about the new bags is that they really limit what you can carry whereas if you have big paniers you'll be tempted to fill them.

It takes a while to get everything that you need together and you have to think small and light which translates into expensive. But once you have the gear it doesn't cost anything really.

There is a bike packing bag maker over the mountains from us in Salida
Which is a major biking town. It's called Oveja Negra. They make great stuff and I like supporting local businesses as much as possible.

[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post