Bicycling!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2017, 05:09 PM
RE: Bicycling!
(06-05-2017 02:32 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I prefer mountain biking (I have a Diamondback), but I also like scenic bike rides along a canal or some other pretty scenic route on occasion. There are lots of trails here where I live in CA and with the warm temps, it's an activity you can really do all year round. Tahoe is my fave!

I bet you do have a lot of great trails to choose from. I visit a site called theradavist.com and they publish a lot of aricles on riding in California. The riding around LA looks amazing.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
06-05-2017, 05:15 PM
(06-05-2017 05:06 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 02:34 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Bike packing sounds really fun--would love to try this!
It is. I wish I had discovered it years ago but it has just recently taken off with the development of soft bags for the bike. You no longer have to
Have big bulky panniers and racks. The weight is kept in line with the centerline of the bike and so handling is much better. The thing I like about the new bags is that they really limit what you can carry whereas if you have big paniers you'll be tempted to fill them.

It takes a while to get everything that you need together and you have to think small and light which translates into expensive. But once you have the gear it doesn't cost anything really.

There is a bike packing bag maker over the mountains from us in Salida
Which is a major biking town. It's called Oveja Negra. They make great stuff and I like supporting local businesses as much as possible.

Thanks for the info Smile I'm used to ultralight backpacking so I don't think this will be too hard of a transition for me in terms of going small and light and only taking what you truly need.
06-05-2017, 05:15 PM
(06-05-2017 03:06 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I do quite a bit of road biking, there's a convenient lake trail close to where I live, it's a circuit of 15.2 miles from my house and around the lake.

The trail links up to other trails, I once did two trails together for a 31 mile trip.

It's a nice addition to an overall fitness-oriented lifestyle.
I've got a recumbent bike that I ride a lot but I'd like to get a gravel road bike. I'm looking at the Surly cross check and also the specialized awol. My wife fell in love with my fat bike so it looks like I'll have to buy another one for her first. lol. It would be nice to have dedicated bike paths that I could ride right from my house. We live out in farm country though and there are miles and miles of roads that don't have much traffic. Only problem is they are flat and boring to ride. But I can ride 25 miles and be at Great Sand Dunes National Park.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
06-05-2017, 05:19 PM
(06-05-2017 05:15 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 05:06 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  It is. I wish I had discovered it years ago but it has just recently taken off with the development of soft bags for the bike. You no longer have to
Have big bulky panniers and racks. The weight is kept in line with the centerline of the bike and so handling is much better. The thing I like about the new bags is that they really limit what you can carry whereas if you have big paniers you'll be tempted to fill them.

It takes a while to get everything that you need together and you have to think small and light which translates into expensive. But once you have the gear it doesn't cost anything really.

Which is a major biking town. It's called Oveja Negra. They make great stuff and I like supporting local businesses as much as possible.

Thanks for the info Smile I'm used to ultralight backpacking so I don't think this will be too hard of a transition for me in terms of going small and light and only taking what you truly need.
Well you probably have most of what you need then. I had to buy all new stuff for 5 people and it took 2 years to get everything. Are you familiar with the term s24o or sub 24 hour overnighter. That's mostly what we do. Leave on a Friday aafternnon after work, ride somewhere, camp and come home the next day in under 24 hours. It fits in to a busy work schedule better than a multi day trip.

06-05-2017, 05:24 PM
(06-05-2017 05:19 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 05:15 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Thanks for the info Smile I'm used to ultralight backpacking so I don't think this will be too hard of a transition for me in terms of going small and light and only taking what you truly need.
Well you probably have most of what you need then. I had to buy all new stuff for 5 people and it took 2 years to get everything. Are you familiar with the term s24o or sub 24 hour overnighter. That's mostly what we do. Leave on a Friday aafternnon after work, ride somewhere, camp and come home the next day in under 24 hours. It fits in to a busy work schedule better than a multi day trip.

I've done a few backpacking trips that way. Doing it on the bike adds an extra bit of adventure, so I'm thinking this will be a fun next step into my outdoor adventures Big Grin
06-05-2017, 05:28 PM
(06-05-2017 05:15 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 05:06 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  It is. I wish I had discovered it years ago but it has just recently taken off with the development of soft bags for the bike. You no longer have to

Check out Revelate designs. Their sweetroll handlebar bag is awesome. It holds a lot of stuff, even the medium size. I carry my sleeping back and Huba Huba two person tent in a 15 liter dry back strapped to the front of the handlebars. I carry my Thermarest Neoair pad in my seat bag along with extra cloths to wear in camp and to sleep in. My tools and other heavy things go in the frame bag that fits in the triangle. My stove and food go in a small backpack and I carry my water on the front forks and under the down tube. I can carry 150 ounces of water in addition to my bladder in the pack which holds half a gallon. Oh, and my water filter goes in the pack as well and that's about all I carry.

06-05-2017, 05:30 PM
(06-05-2017 05:24 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 05:19 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Well you probably have most of what you need then. I had to buy all new stuff for 5 people and it took 2 years to get everything. Are you familiar with the term s24o or sub 24 hour overnighter. That's mostly what we do. Leave on a Friday aafternnon after work, ride somewhere, camp and come home the next day in under 24 hours. It fits in to a busy work schedule better than a multi day trip.

I've done a few backpacking trips that way. Doing it on the bike adds an extra bit of adventure, so I'm thinking this will be a fun next step into my outdoor adventures Big Grin

A lot of us older guys who used to do a lot of backpacking are taking it up. I can't carry all that weight on my back anymore and letting the bike carry it makes things so nice and you can go a lot farther.

06-05-2017, 05:32 PM
Bicycling? Bahahahaha. I have a cute little basket on my bike. I toodle down to the store and pick up milk and bread and a few other things and plunk it in my basket.....home I go...giggity-gig. Now that's how you use a bicycle.Tongue

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
06-05-2017, 05:41 PM
(06-05-2017 05:32 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Bicycling? Bahahahaha. I have a cute little basket on my bike. I toodle down to the store and pick up milk and bread and a few other things and plunk it in my basket.....home I go...giggity-gig. Now that's how you use a bicycle.Tongue

Me too. Don't laugh though. Basketpacking is the new thing. It's bikepacking for nerds. A front rack with a Wald basket and you can hold a lot of stuff. I found an old wire basket from a refrigerator and I zip tie that thing to my rear rack and ride the 8 miles to town. It's a blast. Nice 16 mile round trip. Takes me 35 minutes one way if the wind isn't blowing (which it usually is). It could carry two six packs of beer too. Wink

I think if I lived in a city, I wouldn't even have a car. I watch the bikers in Denver and they can really get around town fast, faster than sitting in the traffic there. I'd have to get used to riding in traffic with cars though.

06-05-2017, 05:50 PM
(06-05-2017 05:28 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 05:15 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Thanks for the info Smile I'm used to ultralight backpacking so I don't think this will be too hard of a transition for me in terms of going small and light and only taking what you truly need.

Check out Revelate designs. Their sweetroll handlebar bag is awesome. It holds a lot of stuff, even the medium size. I carry my sleeping back and Huba Huba two person tent in a 15 liter dry back strapped to the front of the handlebars. I carry my Thermarest Neoair pad in my seat bag along with extra cloths to wear in camp and to sleep in. My tools and other heavy things go in the frame bag that fits in the triangle. My stove and food go in a small backpack and I carry my water on the front forks and under the down tube. I can carry 150 ounces of water in addition to my bladder in the pack which holds half a gallon. Oh, and my water filter goes in the pack as well and that's about all I carry.

I just looked up the sweetroll, looks easy to attach. Thumbsup I like the "Dial Your Ride" function on their site--gives great ideas to pack your bike to suit your own individual needs.