Big Bang Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Big Bang Question
So I'm not entirely sure if this is the best area to ask a question about cosmology, and a little later I'll do more digging to get a better understanding of the subject.

Here's my question. When the Big Bang Banged, how did all of the entire universes matter fit into the size of a marble after a trillionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a second after?

I was watching Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey, and Neil DeGrasse Tyson made that quote, but it left me wondering how everything can be in such a small and dense state. Was it even matter at the time? Or some type of energy that later turned into matter? I know it didn't stay in that small state for very long, but it's still interesting how literally everything could fit in such a small state.

I'm pretty ignorant of the theory, but I was just curious if you guys knew an answer. Like I said, later tonight I'll do some more reading and researching to maybe get a better understanding of the theory. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2015, 08:53 PM
RE: Big Bang Question
Okay... from what I can understand....

Everything, 'Time', 'Space' etc was that 'dot'. Then... it expanded (Not 'exploded') Over time things got 'cooler' and further apart that 'energy' resulted/was able to form. Then things got cooler and farther apart and sub-atomic particles could 'coalesces' out of the energy. Then things got cooler and farther apart and the sub-atomic particles bumped around and formed atoms (Though, basically just atoms of hydrogen) then things cooled down and got farther apart and the expanding reality was cool enough that the atoms of hydrogen could slowly begin to 'clump' and collapse into the first stars. These first stars thence underwent nuclear fusion and all the other elements were 'burned'/'cooked' into existence. A process which is still happening today.

(There's lots of other things said to be happening, but I'm not remembering them all and trying to be 'quick', sort of thing.)

There's a really, huge, 'Hard to get your head around' amount of how much there is 'out' in reality. Our Sun 'burns' a fek ton of hydrogen a second (A Google search would give the actual number) and it has enough material to KEEP doing that, per second, for lots of millions of years to come and HAS been doing that for millions of years previously and it's NOT even a big Sun/Star!

Douglas Adams quote of 'Space being big, really, mindbogglingly, imaginary defy-ingly big." comes to mind.

Much cheers to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
03-02-2015, 09:13 PM
(03-02-2015 08:31 PM)The Hidden Atheist Wrote:  So I'm not entirely sure if this is the best area to ask a question about cosmology, and a little later I'll do more digging to get a better understanding of the subject.

Here's my question. When the Big Bang Banged, how did all of the entire universes matter fit into the size of a marble after a trillionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a second after?

I was watching Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey, and Neil DeGrasse Tyson made that quote, but it left me wondering how everything can be in such a small and dense state. Was it even matter at the time? Or some type of energy that later turned into matter? I know it didn't stay in that small state for very long, but it's still interesting how literally everything could fit in such a small state.

I'm pretty ignorant of the theory, but I was just curious if you guys knew an answer. Like I said, later tonight I'll do some more reading and researching to maybe get a better understanding of the theory. Thanks!

Sorry, best I can do is:

Human beings cannot comprehend very large or very small numbers. It would be useful for us to acknowledge that fact.
~Daniel Kahneman - Nobel prize-winning psychologist

corollary:
Human beings cannot comprehend the very large or the very small. It would be useful for us to acknowledge that fact.
~FC

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
03-02-2015, 09:19 PM
E = MC^2

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
04-02-2015, 05:20 AM
At this point in time, there really isn't a good answer to your question. So much of cosmology cannot be understood by the human mind because it cannot be visualized. It has to be expressed mathematically. However, everything in the universe was once condensed into a "singularity" which was INFINITELY dense. I can't visualize "infinity." It was smaller than a marble and did not become the size of a marble until it had expanded considerably. It was, at one time, a black hole that contained all of the matter/energy in the universe.
04-02-2015, 07:52 AM
Assuming the theory of inflation is correct everything within the observable universe was that small. It would have been something like "pure" energy back then which quickly "condensed" into matter as the universe's size increased and therefore its temperature decreased. As I understand it even electrons and the like would not have existed in the first describable moments of inflation.

Or something. YMMV. It is still not directly known whether inflation occurred (the polarisation of background radiation may have and may still be our first direct evidence of the process) but the data we do have apparently fits the model well.

Wikipedia's Chronology of the Universe page lays out the timeline like this:
- At the big bang: The universe is a quark-gluon plasma
- One millionth of a second: Hadrons start to form
- 1s: Leptons start to form
- 10s: Photons start to form
- 3 minutes: Nucleuses of atoms start to combine
- 70000 years: Most of the universe is now matter
- 377000 years: Ionised Hydrogen and Helium atoms are able to combine with electrons to form electrically neutral atoms
- 10 million years: Heavier elements are now abundant enough for life perhaps to be able to form
- 150 million years: The overall filament structure of the universe is realised
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_the_universe

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.