Big Brother is here, and we embrace him willingly

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Big Brother is here, and we embrace him willingly
I used to dismiss the idea of Orwell's Big Brother because I used to think that the people would never willingly give up their freedoms for a false sense of security like that. But from I'm observing, Big Brother is slowly taking hold, one step at a time. Now stop me when I get too paranoid or conspiracy friendly, but:

-we had the Patriot Act forced on us in a time of war and instability, legally permitting such wonderful things as roving phone-tapping and "sneak and peak" warrants, where a warrant is not immediately required to search a house, and other such pleasantries put in place by the party advocating "less government involvement" no less.

-most new cars now come equipped a gps tracking system that can be accessed by the government and even used to turn your car off remotely. And the courts have decided that it is perfectly legal for the FBI to come onto your property and place tracking devices on your car, since your driveway isn't part of your "private property." Here's the link, which also mentions the 1984-esque provoked feeling.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2013150,00.html

-and finally, the new app that people are willfully embracing. The phone app that announces to the world your location so that you are always locatable. So it seems that Big Brother doesn't have to be forced on anyone. It can made socially desirable enough that people will enforce it on themselves.

I figure the next step is to outlaw guns to everyone but the military and police and we will be right on track.

"Those who would sacrifice liberty..."

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2010, 10:37 AM
RE: Big Brother is here, and we embrace him willingly
I always felt our generation is on a see-saw between another dark age and a golden age.
Transparency can be a good thing if it is applied to governments and corporations just as much as to citizens.

Then again people may blindly and willingly follow into another tyranny.It's how Nazi germany got started and Stalinist russia.

The only optimist thing I can say it's that you're not alone in your feelings and there are others who will support you.
16-12-2010, 08:34 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ridO5LS6K...re=related
(Had to bring it up)

As technology becomes more prevalent, the unfortunate trend is towards this direction. There are positives aspects to it as well. In the future, our clothing will monitor our life signs and automatically contact medical authorities if something goes awry.
Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2010, 08:57 PM
CCTV in Britain should be mentioned.

They also do all that other stuff here, and more.

Jesus Jumping Christ on a traction engine wearing a kilt and eating a marmite sandwich!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-12-2010, 12:38 AM
I think it also has to do with a large population and globalization.
Cultures and different backgrounds collide , a large number of people and the governments need to keep them in line to assure their authority.
20-12-2010, 11:58 AM

the patroit act is unconstitutional and it spits in the face of our forefathers.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin
Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Remembered something.
Google "Big Sister" (WARNING 18+)
We can make surveillance fun.
Some bars in NY are using it.
Granted human rights should definitely be protected , but we might enjoy spying on each other at some point Big Grin
22-12-2010, 12:37 AM
One guy in England realized that an anti-crime camera was capable of seeing most of the inside of his apartment. As a protest he dressed as a very realistic looking alien monster, something like "the preditor," and walked around in the street in view of the camera. It was only minutes before the police showed up and he had his chance to voice his complaint.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
22-12-2010, 01:26 AM
If surveillance cameras become as abundant as they are in Britain or New York, I will be the guy sniping them out daily until it costs the government too much to keep it up.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
22-12-2010, 04:07 PM
There was a man that boarded a plane with a loaded pistol , in his carry on bag.
Upon arriving at his destination he reported it to authorities.
http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/12/17/ho...-on-plane/

This is too rich. Big Grin