Big Business

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2012, 12:26 PM
RE: Big Business
I have some problems with big business, and some appreciation too. My complaints are the same as Peterkin's, but I'd also add that their is not simply to turn a profit. Most successful businesses don't seem to stay at that point- they seem to always go for being traded in order to gain bigger profits. When they happens, then they have to consider not just their profit, but the shareholders too. It's no longer enough to make $1MM profit like you did last year. You have to grow. You need to make more profit than you did before, so business is always in the process of trying to find ways to get more customers, decrease the cost of production, increase production, decrease the cost of labor, etc. This year, your have to make $1.1MM in order to satisfy projections. If you make $0.9MM in profits, then that's bad mojo. That's not growth.

I think this leads to corruption, manipulation of both workers and customers, and other destructiveness as a result of greed.

Maybe I've got it all wrong, but that's how I see it. Profit is not inherently bad, it's a driving force. But greed seems to dictate that profit alone is not enough. At least not for Big Business.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2012, 12:30 PM
(30-03-2012 12:26 PM)kineo Wrote:  I have some problems with big business, and some appreciation too. My complaints are the same as Peterkin's, but I'd also add that their is not simply to turn a profit. Most successful businesses don't seem to stay at that point- they seem to always go for being traded in order to gain bigger profits. When they happens, then they have to consider not just their profit, but the shareholders too. It's no longer enough to make $1MM profit like you did last year. You have to grow. You need to make more profit than you did before, so business is always in the process of trying to find ways to get more customers, decrease the cost of production, increase production, decrease the cost of labor, etc. This year, your have to make $1.1MM in order to satisfy projections. If you make $0.9MM in profits, then that's bad mojo. That's not growth.

I think this leads to corruption, manipulation of both workers and customers, and other destructiveness as a result of greed.

Maybe I've got it all wrong, but that's how I see it. Profit is not inherently bad, it's a driving force. But greed seems to dictate that profit alone is not enough. At least not for Big Business.
True. Don't forget that they usually expand until they collapse, and then ask the govt for assistance.
30-03-2012, 12:39 PM
(30-03-2012 12:30 PM)Antirepublican Wrote:  True. Don't forget that they usually expand until they collapse, and then ask the govt for assistance.

I know we've seen it happen some recently- but I don't know if I'd call it "usually", unless you were being hyperbolic. Has that happened more than just with the banks and car companies lately?

30-03-2012, 12:52 PM
(30-03-2012 12:26 PM)kineo Wrote:  Maybe I've got it all wrong, but that's how I see it. Profit is not inherently bad, it's a driving force.
You do know what profit is, right?
After paying for the raw materials, supplies, space, structure, maintenance, process, equipment, containers, power, taxes, shipping, storage, waste-removal, paperwork and labour. If you earned enough money to pay all of those costs, including the salaries of everybody involved in making the product, you would be in balance: outgo = income. Profit is on top of that, skimmed off by the people who put in 0 % of the material and work (owners, investors, shareholders). That's what makes it necessary to keep growing. Profit is not inherently bad the way a virus is not inherently bad.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
30-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Well I did expect to be called on my lack of knowledge in the area of business. Yes, I know what profit is.

Quote:prof·it/ˈpräfit/
Noun:A
financial gain, esp. the difference between the amount earned and the
amount spent in buying, operating, or producing something.

Profit is required if the business is not going to break even. Makes sense to me. Profit doesn't have to be bad. Striving for greater and greater profits, growth, is what I believe the "virus" to be.

30-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Firstly I agree with everything that Peterkin says (as I find myself often doing)

For me the keyword here is PROFIT.

There is nothing wrong with turning a profit...... where you can enjoy the fruits of your labours..... the thing is where do you draw the line on what you do to achieve this profit???

Battery hens living possibly there only existence in the most squalid of conditions just so we can eat eggs???

Huge supermarkets cropping up with enormous purchasing power that can easily undercost local business... driving down competition and also local and smaller businesses.... syphoning money away from the local economy???

The west exploiting the east to purchase cheaper items for manufacturing (and everything that goes with that)

Political partys being funded by these rich corporations...... and they dont do it for nothing.... there is allways an agenda.

Money makes the world go around........... its also killing the fucker off as well.

What the fuck is money anyway....... its not a neutral means of barter because if you think that you dont know anything about the economy nor money creation.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
30-03-2012, 01:55 PM
The problem you're talking about stems from greed. It's greed that says simple profit is not enough, one must strive for greater profits, never being satisfied that they've achieved a profitable enterprise. Grow, expand, exceed all competition at any cost so long as it is beneficial to the business.

30-03-2012, 01:58 PM
(30-03-2012 12:26 PM)kineo Wrote:  I have some problems with big business, and some appreciation too. My complaints are the same as Peterkin's, but I'd also add that their is not simply to turn a profit. Most successful businesses don't seem to stay at that point- they seem to always go for being traded in order to gain bigger profits. When they happens, then they have to consider not just their profit, but the shareholders too. It's no longer enough to make $1MM profit like you did last year. You have to grow. You need to make more profit than you did before, so business is always in the process of trying to find ways to get more customers, decrease the cost of production, increase production, decrease the cost of labor, etc. This year, your have to make $1.1MM in order to satisfy projections. If you make $0.9MM in profits, then that's bad mojo. That's not growth.

Interdasting

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
30-03-2012, 07:12 PM
(30-03-2012 12:39 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(30-03-2012 12:30 PM)Antirepublican Wrote:  True. Don't forget that they usually expand until they collapse, and then ask the govt for assistance.

I know we've seen it happen some recently- but I don't know if I'd call it "usually", unless you were being hyperbolic. Has that happened more than just with the banks and car companies lately?
There have been quite a few government bailouts since 1970.

What I really meant to say was that they overextend themselves, until they collapse, and sometimes the government has to bail them out.

Here is a pretty good list,
http://www.propublica.org/special/government-bailouts

Our government seems pro-Big Business enough, so maybe the people should open their eyes and not drink the koolaid.