Big News From Large Hadron Collider!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Big News From Large Hadron Collider!
FINALLY some interesting results worthy of attention from the Large Hadron Collider!
I have had my eyes and ears open on all things LHC for about 2 years now since I had
first heard of it at school. I spent the first month of that fearing a black hole would consume
us all. As the years passed by and I read more and more about it I became seriously interested.
Now finally, as of yesterday, I have something to be excited about.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11711228
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe....collider/

TEMPERATURES A MILLION TIMES
HOTTER THAN THE CENTER OF THE SUN!

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2010, 11:26 PM
RE: Big News From Large Hadron Collider!
"At these temperatures even protons and neutrons, which make up the nuclei of atoms, melt resulting in a hot dense soup of quarks and gluons known as a quark-gluon plasma."
That's 'cool'. I'm just wondering with what kind of equipment do they observe this stuff? How can one detect lil' protons and neutrons melting? Huh

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
09-11-2010, 12:21 AM

(08-11-2010 11:26 PM)Kikko Wrote:  "At these temperatures even protons and neutrons, which make up the nuclei of atoms, melt resulting in a hot dense soup of quarks and gluons known as a quark-gluon plasma."
That's 'cool'. I'm just wondering with what kind of equipment do they observe this stuff? How can one detect lil' protons and neutrons melting? Huh

Meet ALICE, ATLAS, CMS, LHCb, TOTEM and LHCf, the LHC "experiments" which use various technologies to capture collisions. Just Google LHC and any of the names to get information and pictures; for example, here are some pics of ALICE: http://aliceinfo.cern.ch/Public/en/Chapt...ry-en.html
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2010, 02:38 AM
WOW! This is amazing! Thanks for sharing!!

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2010, 05:53 AM

"This process took place in a safe, controlled environment, generating incredibly hot and dense sub-atomic fireballs with temperatures of over ten trillion degrees, a million times hotter than the centre of the Sun."

For a second after reading the title I had thought they had finally found the Higgs, but this is cool too. Ten trillion degrees.... I can't even imagine how quickly that would vaporize you.
09-11-2010, 07:38 AM

This is pretty exciting!!
09-11-2010, 10:47 AM
The highest temperatures ever produced in the history of the solar system,
AS A RESULT OF HUMAN EXPERIMENT! The sad reality, the majority of the
population would find the next season of Jersey Shore more interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
09-11-2010, 11:57 AM
(09-11-2010 10:47 AM)Mindprowler Wrote:  The highest temperatures ever produced in the history of the solar system,

You mean you don't? Tongue

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2010, 05:18 PM

(09-11-2010 11:57 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(09-11-2010 10:47 AM)Mindprowler Wrote:  The highest temperatures ever produced in the history of the solar system,

You mean you don't? Tongue

That would be funny, if it wasn't so true. Confused Why do we think they call television, "Programming"?

This is fascinating. Trillions of degree's! Hotter than the core of the sun. What will the naked monkeys think of next? Cool
Besides the fundy chimps reading of this and going; Christ is near, because atheist science has found a way to create hell on earth and melt atoms!
09-11-2010, 11:57 PM

(08-11-2010 09:24 PM)Mindprowler Wrote:  I spent the first month of that fearing a black hole would consume us all.

Glad I wasn't the only one! Blush