Big Vitamin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2015, 10:51 AM
Big Vitamin
I've always been a fan/proponent of "alternative medicine" and vitamins and herbs. But after doing a little bit of thinking and googling, I've pretty much concluded that I was a incorrect. It would seem the only vitamin that might be worth taking is vitamin D and maybe B vitamins for vegans or those who don't eat much meat. Other than that, for the general population, multi vitamins don't seem to help, and in some cases, are actually bad for you.

Anyone else have some input negative or positive to what I've said? I'm all ears and I'm curious to see what some of you might have to add one way or another.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like chadlad's post
29-12-2015, 11:00 AM
RE: Big Vitamin
I am vegan and I take a multivitamin and a flax and a DHA/EPA cap. I just do it for simplicity sake. Vegans can sometimes be low in zinc, iodine, calcium, iron, and B12.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
29-12-2015, 11:22 AM
(29-12-2015 10:51 AM)chadlad Wrote:  It would seem the only vitamin that might be worth taking is vitamin D and maybe B vitamins for vegans or those who don't eat much meat.

I take a daily B-complex tablet, and also a daily vitamin D (with added C).

The B group vitamins are a collection of eight water-soluble vitamins essential for various metabolic processes. Most of these vitamins can’t be stored by the body and have to be consumed regularly in the diet. Extended cooking, food processing and alcohol can destroy or reduce the availability of many of these vitamins. The D is necessary for "indoors" people like me who don't get any natural sunlight during the day. Very few foods contain vitamin D; synthesis of vitamin D—specifically cholecalciferol—in the skin is the major natural source of the vitamin. Dermal synthesis of vitamin D (from cholesterol) is wholly dependent on sufficient sun exposure.

Regarding the multi-vitamin industry, this make for interesting reading: Billion-Dollar Scam In a Bottle

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
29-12-2015, 11:23 AM
Supplements are great if one is lacking something. They can be easily overdone and abused. Every individual has individual needs - it can be quite a balancing act. Much has to do with lifestyle, sex, pre-existing conditions, and body changes as one ages.

I am generally an omnivore, actually more of a vegetarian that eats the occasional mouthful of some sort of seafood. I exercise (yoga) and live relatively stress free.... until something stressful happens. Wink I take a B12 vitamin somewhat regularly, but that's about it.

Then too, one must read labels! My B12 is just B12 - but it is sold on the shelf right beside the one that also has niacin in the mixture - which makes me feel as if I'm having a heart attack. Tricky bastards. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
30-12-2015, 10:29 AM
B12 and iron supplementation is strongly recommended for those who eat a mostly or fully vegetarian diet. Vitamin D is generally recommended for almost everyone during the winter months - in Hungary (and presumably continental US and Canada of the same 45-50° latitude, although not to the same degree), 50-80% of the population suffers from vitamin D deficiency from October to March. B9 (folate) is essential for fetal neural development and is even mixed into flour mandatorily in the USA. (those who don't consume bread or other food made with flour or live in countries where folate enrichment is not mandatory should consider taking supplements before and during pregnancy - Elevit is specially made for this purpose).

Other vitamin supplementations aren't recommended with a balanced diet and some can even be harmful (vitamin A overdose can cause serious, lasting complications)
[+] 1 user Likes Naridar's post
30-12-2015, 10:44 AM
I take a calcium with Vitamin D and folic acid. I don't eat a lot of calcium rich foods and I don't fancy osteoporosis when I get older.
30-12-2015, 12:30 PM
When I was younger I gobble hands full of supplements daily. I believe it was money wasted.
It seems lab studies have shown man made supplements are mostly BS and of no real value to your system..maybe even harmful. Are the studies accurate or skewed ? I'd say that if Big Agri or Big Pharma funds the studies then the results are worthless It wouldn't be in their interest to say vitamins were good... So who knows!

I take C, B and I make colloidal silver that I take regularly and have done so for a number of years now. I don't seem to get as sick as other folks seem to, and when I do come down with a bug it's very very short lived...haven't had the flu in nearly 20 years...never taken a flu shot either.

I'm an Omnivore and I tend 2 acres of garden each year. We produce most of our food,....i'd say 75 to 80%. We don't eat out nor do we indulge often in junk foods. I raise chickens and goats these days so the only Meat we buy is Red Beef occasionally.

Do I need supplements? not sure but what I'am doing these days seems to work so I will stick with it..
30-12-2015, 12:55 PM
I was tested for Vit D deficiency and I came up positive...that I needed Vit D, also I'm slightly low on magnesium, so I take those. The vitamin D has calcium in it. I take a few herbs in pill form, ashwagandha, boswellia and quercetin a few others but no multi-vitamin. Sometimes I don't take anything for a few weeks, mostly because I forget but the quercetin has been great for my allergies.

I do have a prescription ladies testosterone cream I use. It keeps me strong...... and sexy. Rolleyes

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
30-12-2015, 01:12 PM
It may be quackery, but my sister told me last summer she takes a teaspoon of Mineral Rich https://www.valleynaturals.com/ct_detail...AlVV8P8HAQ
every day, and hasn't been sick once since she started it, about a year and a half ago. It does make sense, depending what you normally eat, you may be missing some trace minerals. Was thinking of trying it. It's pretty reasonable.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
30-12-2015, 01:17 PM
(30-12-2015 01:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It may be quackery, but my sister told me last summer she takes a teaspoon of Mineral Rich https://www.valleynaturals.com/ct_detail...AlVV8P8HAQ
every day, and hasn't been sick once since she started it, about a year and a half ago. It does make sense, depending what you normally eat, you may be missing some trace minerals. Was thinking of trying it. It's pretty reasonable.

There's bibley stuff on the label. Consider

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post