Big equipment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2016, 03:57 PM
RE: Big equipment
That's a nice one! Around here they slip-formed and poured big bridge spans in place. The forms crawled along from pier to pier.
I worked on a couple of bridge projects. One of them was across the Puyallup river. There is an island in the middle with piers bored 90' down and a poured cap. The main spans were 120', and the concrete beams were 120,000 pounds each and we used 5 on each span. The site was too tight for a crane that big, so we used 3 and the beam launcher that sat on the caps. Part of the operation had the first crane pick up the tail end, I would drag the suicide car out with an excavator, and the truck would back up till a second crane below us on the levee could reach that end. Then a pile buck would set a ladder, climb up, and hook the other crane to a three hole plate called a passing plate. The crane below would lift up and the one above would let off, and he would go back up and unhook the first crane. The truck would back up until that lower crane could set the end of the beam on a steel wheeled car on top of the beam launcher.
More truck backing and now a big loader across the river was tugging on a cable to that car. Top crane picks the beam up, truck drives away and the passing plate operation is repeated, with the loader doing all the moving laterally.
Now a big track crane on the island picks the beam off the car and sets it in place. I would pull the car back with my excavator. Repeat 5 times in one shift. It was fun times.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
14-04-2016, 04:01 PM
(14-04-2016 03:28 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  For your viewing pleasure, an erection machine...

That's one of the most amazing thing I've ever seen!!! I love that video. Thanks for posting it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
14-04-2016, 04:37 PM
Here's a you tube video of the scuttling of a ship I served on in the mid-'70s.

https://youtu.be/LFU-g_1CVnk

Creepy, seeing it sink. Shocking
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
14-04-2016, 05:35 PM
(14-04-2016 04:37 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Here's a you tube video of the scuttling of a ship I served on in the mid-'70s.

That's sad. Couldn't they melt the steel down and reuse it? It seems like such a waste.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
14-04-2016, 05:42 PM
It is now a reef for fish, so not really a waste. Though knowing what it would take to make it clean enough to not present an ecological threat, pretty much a waste of money.
14-04-2016, 05:48 PM
(14-04-2016 04:37 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Here's a you tube video of the scuttling of a ship I served on in the mid-'70s.

Very cool. I watched a bunch more. Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
14-04-2016, 06:22 PM
(14-04-2016 05:48 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  

Very cool. I watched a bunch more. Smile
I did too. Those torpedoes are nasty!
15-04-2016, 01:09 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2016 01:26 AM by skyking.)
The rock walls up in the park are considered historic. Stonemasons removed the wall in the first pictures stone by stone, photographing and labeling them and making laminated books. Then the stones were carefully removed, placed on pallets and stored in a parking area on Paradise loop. We then took that road down 22 feet and rebuilt it right before the snow kicked us out.
The next spring we finished up the road so they could rebuild the wall exactly as it was. We get done, call the stonemasons back.
There was a slight problem, the pallets of stone were under 4~8 feet of ice and snow Big Grin
I brought up a steel pipe and carefully probed in the snow to find the pallets. I could not damage the stone.
[Image: working01_zpsb2920ba9.jpg]

From another job, loading out topsoil.
[Image: 238_3844.JPG]

Same job as above, this was the heaviest piece I have operated. Todd there is 6'2" without the hard hat.
[Image: 236_3637.JPG]
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
15-04-2016, 02:18 AM
(13-04-2016 01:47 PM)skyking Wrote:  Removing foot-thick concrete from the entrance building at Stevens Canyon
Like playing a real life game of Operation Smile
[Image: operation2_zps1d11b197.jpg]

[Image: operation3_zpsd2279349.jpg]

Putting in drain pipe during the reconstruction of a wall we called "the ampitheater", located on Stevens Canyon road in a slide chute. I slid straight down the slope in the foreground to get down there (wheee!), and the big excavator assisted me Bucket-a-Bucket to get back out. In the picture he is passing me the drain rock in his backward- mounted bucket.
[Image: 2014-11-12_zpscbd8126e.jpg]

For a few days I operated a self contained screen plant, removing bigger rocks from soil. This was the view from "the office".
[Image: working04_zps9548ed73.jpg]

[Image: working03_zps5027c7ca.jpg]

Same parking lot, taken from where that plant was sitting on the first days of work.
I had to clear a spot to park my car.
[Image: working07_zpse47b24bd.jpg]

My dad has a habit of overbuilding everything. He is a sheet-metal fabricator by trade, but he's dabbled in a little bit of just about everything. So when he built his own pull-barn style garage behind his house (which is also larger than the house itself), he took it to the nth degree. Let the foundation settle for a whole year, had an engineering buddy design an integrated overhead 3 ton winch, stuff like that. The kicker however is the driveway and the floor of the garage. He used the heaviest industrial grade concrete he could get, the stuff they use for commercial warehouses, and made it half a foot thick with steel rebar reinforcement. He's always said that if he ever sold the house to a developer, he'd set up a lawn chair and a beer cooler across the street and watch them try to tear up the driveway, assuming it was made out of typical material at the standard 3 inches. You'd need some really heavy machinery to put a dent into it, let alone remove all of it. Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-04-2016, 04:19 PM
Heaviest thing I ever tried to operate was a skidsteer. Never did get quite the hang of it.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.