Big :facepalm: moment talking to a young earther

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2015, 11:33 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2015 12:08 PM by mediocrates.)
Big :facepalm: moment talking to a young earther
I was having a casual conversation earlier today that ended with me saying something like "don't worry about it; the world is ending tomorrow anyway..."
(http://oct7thlastday.com/#home in case you haven't been made aware of these nuts)

The 3 of us involved in the conversation were a young earther, an agnostic theist, and myself... What followed was some reciting of scripture and reminders of how a loving god wiped out humanity in a flood already.

Since we're on the topic of the flood, I ask, where'd all the water go? The answer was typical - angels blew it to the 4 corners of the earth and froze it. Or something to that effect.

I probe on, why isn't there a layer of sediment left behind from all that water. He didn't understand the question at first and I'm noticing that the agnostic theist is paying closer attention now.

I clarify, wherever there was once a large amount of water that has gone, there is sediment left behind in the ground as evidence of it's existence. There should be a sediment layer similar to the one left by the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs.

Oh, he says, that was washed away after being melted by global warming.

ShockingGasp Is how we must have looked to him. Neither of us could fathom the line of reasoning required to make such a claim!

Against my better judgement, I went on, how old do you think the earth is. To which he replied, about 6000 years. Adam and Eve to Noah is 2000 years, Noah to Jesus is 2000 years, and Jesus to today is 2000 years.

I then ask, so you don't believe there was an asteroid impact about 65M years ago that killed all the dinosaurs? No, of course he doesn't believe that...

Finally I say, So you believe that an imaginary asteroid from before time left a layer of sediment all over the globe, but the great flood didn't?

Gasp It was his turn to look like that and I didn't want to give him time to fabricate another ridiculous response. I quickly walked away to have a pleasant lunch with an agnostic theist... sans scripture.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like mediocrates's post
06-10-2015, 12:22 PM
RE: Big :facepalm: moment talking to a young earther
You have more patience than I do. Angels blew the water away to the 4 corners of the earth??? I guess you didn't point out that the earth is spherical and thus has no corners. Sediment layer "melted"??? Newsflash: global warming melting sediment layers into lava...
06-10-2015, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2015 12:37 PM by mediocrates.)
(06-10-2015 12:22 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  You have more patience than I do. Angels blew the water away to the 4 corners of the earth??? I guess you didn't point out that the earth is spherical and thus has no corners. Sediment layer "melted"??? Newsflash: global warming melting sediment layers into lava...

I did actually point out the spherical nature of the earth. He waved it off as if corners meant the north/south poles... Even though there's only 2 of those. I let it go because I felt that the worst was yet to come. Turns out, I was right.

Yeah, the sediment layers melting was where I was literally laughing at this guy. I still can't believe anyone, even a YE, could entertain such a ludicrous idea! I think, maybe, he was trying to drop some science by invoking climate change into his argument; but, he obviously has no idea what he's talking about.
06-10-2015, 04:10 PM
This is how conversations with young earthers should go.

person: hey, how old do you think the world is.
young earther: why 6000 years of course
person: *hit young earther in the face with a shovel*

Anything less is just a waste of time.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
06-10-2015, 05:19 PM
I live for debating young earth creationists. I have researched and written a few words related to the great flood and perhaps you could use some of that. It can be found here:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid674871

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
06-10-2015, 05:32 PM
Am I the only one with a dirty mind that laughed out loud when I read, "Surely I come quickly Rev 22:20"???? holy shit. Laughed way too hard at that. Holy shit, did they make that website on geocities or something?

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
06-10-2015, 06:26 PM
(06-10-2015 05:32 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Am I the only one with a dirty mind that laughed out loud when I read, "Surely I come quickly Rev 22:20"???? holy shit. Laughed way too hard at that. Holy shit, did they make that website on geocities or something?

I laughed at that too! And I bet they'll be really let down when he doesn't come at all tomorrow! Expecting premature ejaculation and getting erectile dysfunction.
06-10-2015, 06:35 PM
(06-10-2015 05:32 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Am I the only one with a dirty mind that laughed out loud when I read, "Surely I come quickly Rev 22:20"???? holy shit. Laughed way too hard at that. Holy shit, did they make that website on geocities or something?
The meaning of the word "come" in the sense that you find humorous originated in the 17th century. The translators of the KJV would not have been aware of that sense.

The original usage was "come off." The shortening to one word is modern. Its use as a noun dates from the 1920s.

I recall singing the song "Little Brown Church" as a child. While the choir was singing the refrain

"Come to the church in the wildwood,
"Oh, come to the church in the dale,
"No spot is so dear to my childhood,
"As the little brown church in the vale."

the congregation would chant

"Oh, come come come come
"come come come come
"come come come come
"come come come come."

Angel

Sapere aude
06-10-2015, 08:24 PM
My husband JUSTinformed me of this. Great! I don't have to go to work tomorrow.

So, I think I'll take this opportunity to post my favorite smileys 'cause tomorrow I'll be dead, dead, dead.

I like her hair.Girl_nails

I like the cute wink Kiss

These guys are fun Knights who say NI!

This is the best one for stupid christians Beat_stick

Ok. Kill me now god.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
07-10-2015, 06:05 AM
(06-10-2015 11:33 AM)mediocrates Wrote:  Oh, he says, that was washed away after being melted by global warming.

ShockingGasp Is how we must have looked to him. Neither of us could fathom the line of reasoning required to make such a claim!

I've maintained for several years now that flood apologetics are the worst. The conversation is a perfect mix of topics that will bring out the worst in pseudo-science-loving YECers and abuser-apologists who explain why it's fine for God to kill babies when he's mad at their parents.

Ugh.

(06-10-2015 11:33 AM)mediocrates Wrote:  Against my better judgement, I went on, how old do you think the earth is. To which he replied, about 6000 years. Adam and Eve to Noah is 2000 years, Noah to Jesus is 2000 years, and Jesus to today is 2000 years

His apologetics are off. Most YECs seem to think the flood happened around 5,000 years ago (based on the genealogies listed in the NT and the ages of people listed before the flood). He's just doing some weird pattern matching to make this seem even more special.