Bigfoot Genetics Paper Hoax

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2013, 02:50 PM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2013 05:40 AM by ghostexorcist.)
RE: Bigfoot Genetics Paper Hoax
(16-02-2013 12:16 AM)kim Wrote:  Isn't this illegal...? Huh I don't even know if that's the correct word. Maybe slanderous?

Hmm... Consider How would one file a slander suit on behalf of Science?

Someone might be able to get her on false advertising because she is making money off of the report, but they would have to prove without a doubt that Ketchum knew the evidence was false and published it anyway. I think that would be hard considering that she hasn't shared very much information about the project outside of releasing the paper. By the way, Ketchum has sent all of her data off for independent review:

Quote: I have independent analysis of our data going on. If the outcome of what we are doing supports our analysis, then we are vindicated. If not, then I will announce that also. It involves top level scientists that have volunteered after I released the paper. If their findings are the same, they will go public. So, please be patient. They also will assure upload to GenBank and they can make that happen. (source)

It would be nice if she shared names or gave more details. Wouldn't it be funny if these "top level scientists" came back in support of her? That's funny how she seems to be in the loop as far as the review process is concerned. That makes this new effort questionable. However, if this is a real attempt at validation, I don't know why she didn't do this in the first place.

The Zoobank page for Ketchum's paper says it was published on Scholastica. This is another website where you can create your own journal, describe it's purpose, list your editorial board, etc. You also list contact information if people are interested in sending you stuff. I took the liberty of creating an actual journal page for the Journal of Imaginary Zoological Studies. The webpage is private (https), but here is a screen shot:

[Image: journalwebsite.png]

People who create Scholastica journals can post calls for publications on WikiCFP. You can set deadlines for paper registration, submission, notification, and the final version. The WikiCFP page for the Journal of Advanced Multidisciplinary Exploration in Zoology has no dates accept for the final version, January 11, 2013. In fact, the submission deadline is "TBD" (to be determined). That seems fishy because people can't submit papers if they don't have due dates to go off of. The Scholastica journal is associated with an email account for a person named Casey Mullins. However, as I pointed out above, Ketchum registered the journal on Zoobank two days prior on January 9, 2013. This leaves two possibilities, neither of which make Ketchum look good: 1) She happened upon a randomly created journal on the internet (that anyone can make) with zero publication history, submitted her paper to some random person with unknown credentials for review, and later "purchased" the freely created journal from the previous owner, or 2) she registered the journal on Zoobank (as the evidence shows), created the physical journal herself on Scholastica with fake information or had Casey Mullins do it, and then later claimed she "purchased it."

So here is a possible timeline:

1. She registers on Zoobank on October 25, 2012.
  2. She registers the Journal of Advanced Multidisciplinary Exploration in Zoology on Zoobank on January 9, 2013.
  3. She creates an online page for the journal on Scholastica on January 11, 2013.
  4. She anonymously registers a webpage for her Denovo Scientific Journal on godaddy on February 4, 2013.
  5. She publishes her paper on Denovo Scientific Journal on February 13.
  6. She claims she "purchased" the original journal and renamed it on February 14.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Quote:...top level scientists...

Uh huh. I have top level scientists preparing my black bean burger for peer review at this very moment. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
16-02-2013, 03:15 PM
(16-02-2013 03:12 PM)kim Wrote:  
Quote:...top level scientists...

Uh huh. I have top level scientists preparing my black bean burger for peer review at this very moment. Dodgy

That sounds delicious! It's probably a think tank of the greatest minds ever assembled--an "Academic Avengers," if you will.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
16-02-2013, 03:33 PM
That Ketchup (intentional spelling error) Lady seems very desperate. I wonder why that is. Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
16-02-2013, 03:45 PM
(16-02-2013 03:33 PM)Vosur Wrote:  That Ketchup (intentional spelling error) Lady seems very desperate. I wonder why that is. Consider

Answer: DA MONIES!!!!

The fundamentalist-type Bigfooters will be buying her paper for years to come. Not to mention the fact that she will probably hop on the lecture circuit and rake in the cash from people willing to pay to see her. A book deal is inevitable, and there is no doubt going to be paraphernalia like shirts and hats available on her Sasquatch Genome Project website.
16-02-2013, 03:56 PM
(16-02-2013 02:50 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  The Scholastica journal is associated with an email account for a person named Casey Mullins.

I just tried sending an email to Casey Mullins at the email account listed on the WikiCFP page. This is what I got in return: "This user doesn't have a ymail account" (bottom line):

[Image: proofofnocaseymullins.png]
17-02-2013, 03:10 PM
That's weird - this is smelling so much like fraud. Hope someone gets really pissed and she lands in jail... it'd make a great headline: BIGFOOT SCIENTIST A FRAUD!

Maybe that will take care of her Sasquatch Genome Project and all the Bigfoot fanciers.

Dodgy Uh, wait... don't you kind of have a fascination with the Bigfella, Ghoste? S'ok, I don't think it will effect my own interest in the Yeti. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
17-02-2013, 04:51 PM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2013 04:56 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(17-02-2013 03:10 PM)kim Wrote:  That's weird - this is smelling so much like fraud. Hope someone gets really pissed and she lands in jail... it'd make a great headline: BIGFOOT SCIENTIST A FRAUD!

Maybe that will take care of her Sasquatch Genome Project and all the Bigfoot fanciers.

Dodgy Uh, wait... don't you kind of have a fascination with the Bigfella, Ghoste? S'ok, I don't think it will effect my own interest in the Yeti. Wink

Her project was apparently funded by a chap with a fascination with Bigfoot, too much money, and not enough scientific background. There are rumors that she may have greatly overcharged him, like in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. I don't know how valid this is, though. If true, they could easily nail her for theft.

As an inquisitive person, I've always had a passing fascination with Bigfoot. I've never considered any of the supposed evidence compelling, especially since I'm now majoring in primatology. The only reason I seem obsessed with this whole hoax thing is because it reminds me so much of creationists. They've just replaced god with Bigfoot and Michael Behe with Melba Ketchum.
17-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Somehow, I'm inclined to go along with Bigfoot's existence, more so than god's. Probably just me. Dodgy

17-02-2013, 05:17 PM
(17-02-2013 05:14 PM)kim Wrote:  Somehow, I'm inclined to go along with Bigfoot's existence, more so than god's. Probably just me. Dodgy

There is nothing wrong with that as long as you have a good reason for believing the evidence. It's the blind acceptance from some Bigfoot enthusiasts that gets on my nerves.