Bigger is not better.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2014, 05:28 PM
Bigger is not better.
Recently I have been doing research into dyslexia. My cousin's son is dyslexic. I found that dyslexics usually have larger brains than normal people. So they have a big brain but the resultant outcome is not what we expect.

The human brain has not evolved to read although it can do it well. Apparently too many parts are used when reading: Converting symbols into sounds in one's head is pretty epic. Factor in things like tone and context and you kinda get a feel of the work involved. With dyslexics, there is some brain activity that is missing. How pathetic. Big for shit.

Now I've seen a number of resources online that are on some "dyslexia has advantages" crap. This just infuriates me to the ultimate level. How the hell does a fucking DISABILITY have advantages? They say dyslexics can perceive bigger picture ideas by understanding larger context. WHAT SHIT!! How can you even test that? Even so, that is not something a non dyslexic can't do. Ooh but they've got Einstein as their poster boy. So that makes it ok. Whatever.

Dyslexia is a curse not a blessing. Dyslexia is a punishment. Dyslexia is a dream extinguisher.

Big brain that doesn't work. Yeah right.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2014, 05:35 PM
RE: Bigger is not better.
I thought this thread would be about something else entirely, given the title. Laugh out load

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Vosur's post
13-07-2014, 05:38 PM
(13-07-2014 05:28 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  Recently I have been doing research into dyslexia. My cousin's son is dyslexic. I found that dyslexics usually have larger brains than normal people. So they have a big brain but the resultant outcome is not what we expect.

The human brain has not evolved to read although it can do it well. Apparently too many parts are used when reading: Converting symbols into sounds in one's head is pretty epic. Factor in things like tone and context and you kinda get a feel of the work involved. With dyslexics, there is some brain activity that is missing. How pathetic. Big for shit.

Now I've seen a number of resources online that are on some "dyslexia has advantages" crap. This just infuriates me to the ultimate level. How the hell does a fucking DISABILITY have advantages? They say dyslexics can perceive bigger picture ideas by understanding larger context. WHAT SHIT!! How can you even test that? Even so, that is not something a non dyslexic can't do. Ooh but they've got Einstein as their poster boy. So that makes it ok. Whatever.

Dyslexia is a curse not a blessing. Dyslexia is a punishment. Dyslexia is a dream extinguisher.

As someone with a physical disability - I have to say I find this mindset a load of crap - as atheists it's not a punishment in the first place and secondly - why should dyslexia be a dream extinguisher? With the right support and adaptations dyslexia can be very much minimalized as can many other disabilities and congenital conditions...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
13-07-2014, 06:11 PM
(13-07-2014 05:28 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  Recently I have been doing research into dyslexia. My cousin's son is dyslexic. I found that dyslexics usually have larger brains than normal people. So they have a big brain but the resultant outcome is not what we expect.

Respectfully - this is bull.

I happen to have dyscalculia and it hasn't kept me from being a successful entrepreneur. Dyscalculia is the mathematical cousin of Dyslexia. And actually, it was an advantage - I do have a knack for seeing the big picture instead of getting bogged down with the details. I can always hire an accountant for the details, but s/he doesn't have the vision to see the profitability of an idea. If they did they would not be working for me but make a bunch of money in business. I can take in all the numbers, let them get jumbled in my head and come out with a rather accurate prediction of results, albeit for some reason this is in percentages and not amounts when I have processed it. Comes out kind of like a pie chart. Yet I can't remember a single number I baked into the pie. Math was a huge chore in school, but once I was on my own and free to think outside the box, I found I was better at it than other people.

I have a disorder you say? Hmm, maybe I just have a new, less cumbersome way of processing things and am the future of evolution. Tongue

I don't know about dyslexia, I think I heard it is easier to work with within the confines of common schooling than dyscalculia. Dyscalculia makes basic math all but impossible, but it does nicely with geometry and such.

Just because someone doesn't do things the way you have been taught to do them doesn't mean they can't do better than you in the end. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
13-07-2014, 06:36 PM
(13-07-2014 05:28 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  Dyslexia is a curse not a blessing. Dyslexia is a punishment. Dyslexia is a dream extinguisher.

May be a nuisance at most but I wouldn't go that far. Dyslexia is something that can be overcome if the person tries hard enough. It can't be completely cured I don't think but it's something that people can work around and live with for sure. There's nothing a normal person can do that a dyslexic person cant do.

(13-07-2014 05:35 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I thought this thread would be about something else entirely, given the title. Laugh out load

Me too Laugh out load

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
13-07-2014, 08:05 PM

This is a little bit offencive....
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
13-07-2014, 08:08 PM
(13-07-2014 05:35 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I thought this thread would be about something else entirely, given the title. Laugh out load

Yeah. I thought it was about trucks and SUVs too.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
13-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Anybody who thinks bigger is better clearly does not remember our Cretaceous ancestors.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
13-07-2014, 09:09 PM

How does a disability have advantages?
If I recall, autistic kids often excel at math; as a dyscalculic, I'd argue that is a pretty good advantage, even knowing just how bad the price of admission can be.

Now, I don't think like I'm like Dom with my disability; I often have issues with seeing the 'bigger picture', and I obsessively get bogged down in detail (might have something to do with my probable autism or just a highly anal retentive personality), but for me, anything above very basic math is unfathomable, and I even have issues recognising and pronouncing numbers when they are written numerically because it takes extra time for my brain to process it.

I can't think of a single advantage to my issues; but I don't see them as a 'curse' or 'punishment' or even as 'dream extinguishers'.
Just as much as my annoying hair which naturally forms a 'fro, my progressive myopia which limits my sight or my tinnitus which resounds in my ears, they are parts of me which will never go away; and as such, my one recourse is learn to live with them and to deal with them.
Just like every other human has to.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
13-07-2014, 09:47 PM
I would have to agree with FreeThought and anyone who refuted OP.

Like fuck, I thought I was depressed and cynical but I guess not as much after reading this post. This world is a pretty dence and acute place but I wouldnt bother condemning or demonizing a disability.

I have asthma, diabetes type one, major depression, generalized anxiety disorder, and borderline personality. None of which have turned into a disability until recent weeks past, but if someone were to belittle me because of the way my mind deals with emotion and blood sugar I would not be too amused.

Yes, asthma prevents me from performing sports like others my age. Yes, my mental disorders have lost me my job and almost my marriage and close family. And yes, I sometimes have to skip dessert and stab myself with a needle four times a day, but I dont think I am damned or some how subject to ill fate...even when compounding with alcohol and tobacco. Everyone has their own shit to deal with and if it is delt well, some indaviduals can harvest their own special genius and once they have, who gives a shit about their smelly shit anymore?

Am I coming off clear enough?

Anyways, my point is, this is a pretty fucking petty argument to kindle a fire for. Just acknowledge the disability and encourage the host through the disability. In other words, dont be an unempathetic ass.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."- Albert Einstein.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Steven Hawking