Biggest risks?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2016, 03:43 PM
Biggest risks?
There are all kinds of risks: Physical, emotional, social, financial, and others also. What is your biggest risk? Did you get what you wanted from it? What risk are you waiting to take, and why are you still waiting?
My biggest risk was starting a solo bicycle trip, with no safety net but the cash I was carrying. My apartment lease was up and I had no plan to return. I made a commitment to the lady who is now my wife during that trip. I got involved with a political protest, and a disaster recovery effort, both of which were very rewarding. The trip didn't happen anything like the way I thought it would, but I am very glad I did it.

I am still waiting to try to publish some writing. The reasons are common and trite: I don't think any of my stuff is finished and/or very good, and I don't want that fear confirmed. In truth, a lot of it *is* unfinished, because I start chasing new stories before I follow through with previous ones.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like I Am's post
17-07-2016, 04:07 PM
RE: Biggest risks?
Emotionally? Falling in love.

Financially? Investing.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
17-07-2016, 04:48 PM
^what thump said^

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
17-07-2016, 05:04 PM
I went rock climbing at Carderock drunk and stoned out of my gourd without any safety equipment and tried this climb at 17 yo. ...

[Image: rock_2.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-07-2016, 05:07 PM
Financial: I quit my editor's job at America's largest independently owned newspaper, where I worked for 13 years, to start my own magazine, and I did it in 2008 during the worst economic time in our country since the Great Depression. Risk? Yeah, I laugh at it.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
17-07-2016, 05:13 PM
Moving to a city where I knew no one, with no job lined up, that was one.

The biggest risks for me have been emotional. Probably the riskiest and most difficult has been trusting another human to love me. Ongoing is the existential risk of giving my best effort and it not being good enough.

All of these risks were worth taking and produced positive results. A long time ago I read a self-help book called Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway, and that's become kind of an operating principle for me. (Partly because I'm a scaredy cat and lots of things feel risky.)

I tend not to take big financial risks--wrote too much about the financial industry in my younger days.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
17-07-2016, 05:27 PM
Biggest risks? Where do I begin?

Leaving home early and working with strangers.
Surfing shark infested waters.
Living amongst saltwater crocodiles. And sharks.
Moving back to live with mum and she tried to strangle me.
Becoming a full time musician.
Getting into two long term relationships.
Living with dad.
Not taking a green keeps job at 13 when offered an apprenticeship.
Becoming a blacksmith.
Sleeping with way too many women. (lucky not to get a disease)
Living alone in the bush and having to perform two operations on myself. (with a Swiss army knife)

There's too many to remember.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
17-07-2016, 06:11 PM
Having kids.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
17-07-2016, 07:18 PM
Risk? Concentrating all of my troops in the Australian Oceanic bloc until I have enough to conquer the board in one fell swoop.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 3 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
17-07-2016, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2016 07:43 PM by Shai Hulud.)
Emotionally? Falling in love, spending 3 years dating, having her cheat on me and break up with me via text while I was looking at engagement rings.

Non-emotionally? In my doc program you have two chances at Qualifiers, I failed the first time. That meant I went into the next year of classes without knowing if I'd be there in the Spring, I had to pass all 3, if I failed even 1 I'd be out of work, 30k in debt, in a town where I didn't have any family, and having wasted the previous 1.5 years of my life. I was advised to quit the program while I was ahead and move home. I passed all 3, passed the coursework that semester as well, went on to do my dissertation and get the degree. Only 2 of the 9 of us in my cohort graduated.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Shai Hulud's post